Essentially a full length magazine about Doctor Who fans and fandom, it is, if you like, the epitome of the term “fanzine”.
Following the magazine’s announcement in August, we’ve been busy polishing the content and look. Much of the new Kasterborous layout will be found in the magazine, which will be available in digital and print formats (the latter coming a little after the former).
Here, at last, is the complete list of the first edition’s contents:
- Elton Townend-Jones’ Enlightenment – how should Doctor Who’s 50th be celebrated?
- Never a Doctored Word with the Valeyard – the Doctor’s alter ego sets the world to rights.
- Interview: Illustrator Paul Hanley – popular artist reveals his inspirations and plans.
- The Shape of… The TARDIS – the real star of Doctor Who, the iconic time machine.
- Crash of Elysium – Tom Macrae discusses his audacious live Doctor Who play.
- My Mate John IS the Doctor! – John Guilor, the voice of the First Doctor, interviewed.
- All Monsters Great and Small – Phil Bates meets Matt Smith at the Doctor Who Experience.
- In the Shed: With a Dalek Builder! – want to build your own Dalek? Gareth Mugridge is the man to ask!
- The History of Doctor Who Fandom – kicking off an in-depth look at organized fandom.
- Doctor Who Takes Manhattan – we speak to Matt Smith & Karen Gillan in New York!
- The Masque Revisited – 38 years later, a trip to Portmeirion revisits The Masque of Mandragora.
We’re intending that this should be the ultimate bible for Doctor Who fans – rather than being a print version of the website you’re reading, it should stand on its own two feet, and this can only be achieved (we think) by reflecting the activities of fans, sharing what goes on in the worlds of Doctor Who cosplay, prop building, gaming, audios and books, live events and more!
More importantly, the pricing model for this project is intended to enable us to pay contributors for their hard work. This is important – as things stand, Doctor Who Magazine is the only paying market for first time writers exclusively on the subject of Doctor Who, and it is pretty tricky to get your knock on the door heard, never mind answered. (As an established market, this should come as no surprise to anybody!)
Kasterborous Magazine isn’t about mimicking other mags – it’s about fans. It’s about fandom.
It’s about YOU.
With that in mind, we hope to have the first issue out before Summer 2013. After this, we’re aiming for a quarterly distribution.
Latest Kasterborous Magazine News
- Get a Free Preview of Kasterborous Magazine!
- Kasterborous Magazine Nears Completion!
- Download the Kasterborous Magazine Sampler!
- The PodKast with Christmas Anticipation!
- Kasterborous Magazine Goes Digital
- Kasterborous Magazine Cover Art Sample!
- Kasterborous Magazine is Coming – And It’s All About YOU