error video auto screenshot

Classic Doctor Who Returns To US TV Screens!

I’ve had a TiVo for a long time (14 years), and one of the cooler features is that the service learns what you like, and will record other programs besides the ones you tell it to, thinking you’ll like them.

So tonight I’m looking through the recorded shows, I found an episode of Doctor Who. Which immediately got me thinking, well, what is this? So I played the thing. Much to my shock it was black and white! And then I discovered it originally aired on Nov 23, 1963.

Classic Who Header

I WAS STUNNED – I MEAN I STOPPED FOR A SECOND AND STARED AT THE TV -  Classic Doctor Who was on TV here – local to me, and on free over the air TV, too. Not a national network like SyFy (what a dumb name), but a local channel. So I looked at the guide listing, and indeed, they’re showing classic Doctor Who.

In a 30 minute time slot, twice at night in prime time in my Time Zone – one at 7PM and one at 7:30PM (and again on weekends). It is US commercial television, so there are commercial breaks. In An Unearthly Child 1, they had a commercial break right at the point where Ian & Barbara went into 76 Totters Lane. There was a second break right after the TARDIS took off near the end of the episode.

But hell, I was absolutely flabbergasted that not only was classic Doctor Who on TV here, but on free over the air TV on a (very) local TV station here.  I didn’t even know Classic Doctor Who was being sold in the United States.

4947528The station it is being shown on here is Channel 31 in Dallas, who goes by the odd call sign of K31GL-D. They’re what’s known as a “low power station“. The specific digital subchannel (31-4) is part of a national network called “Retro Television Network“, that shows various old TV shows. But it’s usually things like Dragnet, Bonanza, Starsky & Hutch, etc..  But they had bloody Doctor Who, and 60′s era classics as well!

I’m absolutely stunned.

So I looked around, and apparently this has been in the works for a bit now, but I didn’t discover it until today – found it quite by accident when, as I said, my TiVo recorded the first episode as a suggestion.

Even though I own virtually all of this on DVD, I’ll likely record all of it anyway, because TiVo recordings count in ratings, and besides, one could always use another excuse to watch classic Doctor Who.  I’ll support this being on the air as best I can.

Huzzah to the Retro TV network for the first real, honest to God return of classic Doctor Who to US television since the show returned in 2005.

You can view a page that shows you all of the Retro TV affiliates around the United States on this page.

Geeky Stuff

There is no proper guide info for the episodes, so all the episodes say “Doctor Who”, and have this as a description:

“Tue 08/05/14 07:30 PM on 31-4=K31GLD4, Duration = 30 mins, originalAirdate: 1963-11-23
A mysterious traveler can visit any point in space and time.”

So if you have a digital service like a TiVo, or rely on guide information, it won’t tell you what episode is airing, unfortunately. I might try and contact the network about that.

The Encore Block

Some late details on the “Encore block” that I got from one of their representatives on Facebook.

Retro TV is running two episodes a night from Monday to Friday, and will work their way through the catalogue of shows. The weekend encore block is, by one of their representatives’ words, “.. a second feed. So this Saturday will be episodes 1-4, next Saturday 5-8, etc.” So the M-F block started with Episode 1 on Aug 4, and will stop with Episode 10 on Friday Aug 8. Saturday’s “Encore block” will be Episodes 1-4, and then the following week will be Episode 11-20, the following weekend’s “Encore block” will be Episodes 5-8, and so on and so forth.

Anyway, they have a trailer out, and have some discussion about this on their Facebook group.  Check it out.

About

'Classic Doctor Who Returns To US TV Screens!' have 16 comments

1. August 6, 2014 @ 12:31 am The 2.5th Doctor

Commercial Breaks in Doctor Who bend my mind.

2. August 6, 2014 @ 12:55 am Harry M VanHoudnos

OH LORD! Being a Classic era fan, I WISH I had Digital Cable. I have some Classic era stories on DVD, but to SEE some of these classic era shows again, makes me CRY in agony and pleasure! I will have to find out if my Cable company has this channel.

• August 6, 2014 @ 9:52 am J W

Retro TV isn’t a cable channel. It’s a free over the air digital channel that you should be able to pick up if you have an affiliate network broadcasting their feed. Unfortunately for me there are no affiliates in Illinois at all.

• August 7, 2014 @ 11:15 pm Joe Siegler

Some cable carriers carry the channel. Not a lot, though. Over the air antenna is the best way to get it. Last night was Episodes 1-2 of “The Daleks”. Tonight is Episodes 3-4. :)

3. August 6, 2014 @ 5:12 am Chronomalix

I agree with you on SyFy’s “name”. It used to be called SciFi proper, but then they had to add that modernized flair. The channel is loaded with hit-or-miss original productions and many of them are truly bizarre. Sharknado is perhaps the best example.

4. August 6, 2014 @ 12:05 pm Ranger

I saw Sharknado (or at least the last half hour) on one of our freeview channels in the UK. To say I was gobsmacked is an understatement of the highest order – I really couldn’t believe that someone had actually produced this ludicrous film. But then I started to get into the spirit of it – it was so patently tongue in cheek that it was great. I see there is going to be a sequel LOL!

5. August 6, 2014 @ 8:42 pm John Hilla (@Tigger4046)

http://www.hulu.com/classic-doctor-who, they also carry current doctor who that was rebooted in 2005 to current hulu.com/doctorwho and http://www.hulu.com/the-sarah-jane-adventures

6. August 6, 2014 @ 8:44 pm John Hilla (@Tigger4046)

Once your caught up with the francise, then you can move on to Torchwood which i’m reminder is doctorwho scattered. http://www.hulu.com/torchwood

7. August 7, 2014 @ 1:11 am itsonlythesoaps (@itsonlythesoaps)

This is a local channel…but it isn’t available everywhere in the US. This website has an interview with additional information as they interviewed a Vice President with RetroTV. http://willmckinley.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/classic-doctor-who-time-travels-back-to-american-tv/

8. August 7, 2014 @ 11:18 pm Joe Siegler

One other thing – after watching six episodes so far, it appears they’re using Vidfire’d source material to broadcast, which is really cool.

9. August 8, 2014 @ 12:58 pm Slantedandrecanted (@cjmwarner)

I’m in Washington DC and there’s no RetroTV here though apparently there was some years back. Oh well. But it’s good to know that the BBC is offering the package. I wonder if the package is exclusive to RetroTV, because this would be just perfect for our local PBS station’s all UK sub-station WETA-UK. And then we’d get it here with NO commercials. I should write them.

• August 8, 2014 @ 1:40 pm Harry M VanHoudnos

There is a package for classic Who to come to the US, but no one wants to pick it up for some reason.

• August 9, 2014 @ 12:38 am Slantedandrecanted (@cjmwarner)

Price maybe?

• August 9, 2014 @ 12:42 am Harry M VanHoudnos

I honestly do not know. I know that the package is out there for any station that wants it *More than likely PBS* but no one has tried to pick it up.

• September 20, 2014 @ 6:23 am Ernie

I live in Canada, and don’t get Retro TV! We do however get channels that are similar to Retro TV! I hope one of those channels or another Channel picks up The Classic series! It will be interesting to watch Classic Doctor Who on an Actual TV Channel, than watching it on DVD!

10. October 8, 2014 @ 2:11 pm TV Show News

I haven’t watch this show and since I am addict to doctor’s movie I will watch out for this.. excited much.