Doctor Who News DOctor Who Series 8: Deep Breath

Published on July 13th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

Video Of Doctor Who Leaked Episode Now Available Online

Following last weekend’s news that scripts of the five first episodes of Doctor Who Series 8 had been leaked online, we can now confirm that at least one episode – Deep Breath – has also made its way onto Bittorrent networks for illegal downloaders to “enjoy”.

Much like the Rose leak of 2005, however, this is an unfinished copy of the debut episode for the Twelfth Doctor, missing some CGI and colour. That’s right, it’s in black and white.

We should point out that this is believed to be from the same security breach that made the scripts available. It is significant, perhaps, that the video of the episode has taken a week to be uploaded.

We’re not going to go into the ethics of downloading copyrighted material here. If you’ve ever downloaded, then you should be wrestling with your conscience over it regularly; if you’re new to downloading material that you haven’t purchased or been assigned the privilege to view, perhaps you should rethink.

However, we notice that a lot of fingers are being pointed at Marcelo Camargo, believed to be involved in subtitling Series 8 into Portuguese – mainly due to his name being watermarked over the leaked scripts. This amateur detection is only likely to cause more problems rather than find the perpetrators of this leak. Having someone’s name on a document doesn’t mean that they are responsible for the leak. (After all, if I sign this article “Gary Lineker” it doesn’t mean he wrote it, does it?) If you’re looking for a way to stop the leaks ruining the first half of the new series of Doctor Who, the best thing you can do is encourage people not to download, not to spoil the episodes (it wouldn’t surprise us if the other four end up being made available).

As we understand it, the police are already involved. Speculation and finger-pointing at this stage is dangerous and could potentially prejudice any legal action should the matter reach court. We’ve more thoughts on these leaks in the recent podKast.

All we would say to you, Kasterborite, is wait until August 23rd (or your locally scheduled time) and enjoy Deep Breath along with everyone else in your country/the world.

Tags: , ,

29 Responses to Video Of Doctor Who Leaked Episode Now Available Online

1. Ian Scales says:

Either this is a very long and drawn out promotional ploy or they seem to have lost the plot regarding protecting their property

• Ian, we’ve just updated the post slightly to provide better context for this. Put simply: it’s from the same leak.

2. DonnaM says:

Frankly you would be pretty darn stupid to leak anything with your own name plastered across it! There’s wanting to show off and then there’s asking for trouble.

I love small spoilers – photos snatched by fans around set, snippets of overhead dialogue – but I have too much respect for the dedicated, hard working professionals who make this or any other show to have any truck with a carry-on like this. Forget the legal issue: it’s morally out of order for me.

3. vidarraven says:

Why would anyone wish to watch a half finished product that can in no way equate with the broadcast version.
    Not to mention the crass nature of anyone who leaked it in the first place!

• Bob says:

Well, I enjoyed the leaked workprint of Wolverine Origins more than the finished version. Yes, the film was crap, but I found watching scenes with unfinished or no cgi to be fascinating.

4. rickjlundeen says:

Either way, this Camargo guy will be in for a lot of questioning because his name is stamped on the scripts. There has been carelessness. A real shame that after all this time, there are still holes in security but maybe that’s to be expected as more and more countries are involved in the ever growing DW empire. The bigger the machine, the more working parts, the bigger potential for trouble.

5. The 2.5th Doctor says:

This the problem with the BBC owning Doctor Who. The BBC have always been known for their incompetence.

• They have? Do tell.

• The 2.5th Doctor says:

• In your own words, perhaps?

6. Yago says:

As i understand, the episode was prepared for Marcelo, but it leaked before reach to him, as Drei Marc is a subtitle company, it translates series and show for Brazil. Maybe somewhere in the sending the files went the bad way rs. Sorry for the english, i’m brazillian

7. DonnaM says:

Just in case anyone’s interested, the BBC sport website flagged up a tweet from Gary Linekar saying there’s a mention of Doctor Who in their World Cup final coverage tonight. May be something and nothing, but at least it’ll be something officially released!

• simon magellan says:

Clearly they need to ensure people watch there coverage rather than the ITV one, so are wheeling out the big guns. Peter Capaldi as commentator?

8. Not surprised at the leaks – if it was sent to Miami as reported – party town, party on Miami!

9. Mugen Pharoah says:

What’s the problem with Doctor Who being in black and white? Worked for Hartnell and Troughton!

• Kiara says:

No one ever said there was a problem with it being black and white, however, the CGI hasn’t been placed in yet, the title sequence is yet to be changed, and you can see production vans in the background. Also, as this is 2014, people have higher standards, in 1963, that was the best television program, it really isn’t compared to today’s TV.

10. Ranger says:

The BBC are really having a tough time at the moment – what with the licence fee being threatened, Lord Hall saying that all the BBC channels could become digital catch-ups and palpably rubbish security on top.

I can’t understand watching a rickety, half-finished, no CGI version when all I have to do is wait 6 weeks and I can have all the joy of watching the finished, no doubt fantastic, version. And this from someone who reads the ends of detective novels first, because I can’t wait to find out who did it!

11. Brian says:

Not “12th Doctor”; 14th.

• Lia A says:

12th Doctor, excuse me, as John Hurt’s character wanted no affiliation with his past title, and Ten’s half-regeneration wasn’t classified as part of the Doctors line. 14th incarnation, yes, but 12th Doctor.

12. Asma Nazir says:

I’ve watched the leaked episode even though it was in black and white. I just had to get over Matt Smith (I have a huge crush on him like every other whovian). I loved it.

(Spoiler removed by editor)

However I do like Peter Capaldi as the doctor. Can’t wait to watch it in car and with some good effects.

• simon magellan says:

“I just had to get over Matt Smith (I have a huge crush on him like every other whovian)”

Er, speak for yourself.

• TonyS says:

actually I don’t have a problem with that. We can allot “whovian” to mean someone obsessed with Matt Smith and come up with a sensible expression for fans of the programme. Whoies; Whovers; Doccers. Something like that.

• simon magellan says:

Doctorians?

• TonyS says:

Yes, I like that.

• DonnaM says:

Count me as a Doctorian, please! I adore the show, but there are some Doctors, including the last one, I have tolerated not loved. And a crush on Matt? I’m too old for that -and him :-)

• I should think the vast majority of Doctor Who fans does not have a crush on Matt Smith. Seems an odd assertion to make that almost 10 million people in the UK alone have a crush on the guy.

• vidarraven says:

Since at least the 70;s Doctor Who fans have been Whovians, I see no reason to change it now!

• simon magellan says:

When I was a teenager back in the 80s I remember when DW was mentioned in the news (if at all) it was always “Whovians – as the American fans call themselves”. I don’t recall British fans calling themselves anything other than fans – I certainly can’t recall the DWAS using any terms officially (DWASians?). I always assumed that it came about because of Trekkers/Trekkies and the desire to compete with them!

• TonyS says:

I think you are right, Simon. It came in around JNT’s tenure and about the time of the 20th anniversary. I can think of several reasons to change it. I like the idea of being known as “fans of the programme” (“fans” for short”)