Doctor Who News Steven Moffat and a Dalek

Published on June 27th, 2014 | by Philip Bates

Steven Moffat Continues as Showrunner for Series 9!

In the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine, Steven Moffat has confirmed he plans to continue as showrunner for Series 9, expected next year.

When questioned in his regular column how far in advance he plans each series, he says:

Sitting here, right now, just before the finale shooting block, I’ve figured out the cliffhanger to the penultimate episode of the next series. And it’s a whopper. Ohh, I don’t think you’ll see this coming!

This not only confirms that he’ll be in charge of the series, but also that the two-parters will be returning (something previously alluded to by Rachel Talalay, director of the finale). Moffat stated that Series 9 would not be a split series, as Series 6 and 7 were, in January and thus also confirmed that a Series 9 had been commissioned.

Personally, I’m over the moon that Moffat will be staying for what is expected to be Peter Capaldi’s second run of stories. I think his era has been one of the strongest in the show’s history. I know some people who would disagree with that, but I’m desperately trying to ignore the negativity that is always so rife on this beautiful beast we called the Internet.

What do we think, Kasterborites? Pleased Moffat’s staying? Annoyed? Fuming? Or just happy that Doctor Who remains fresh and relevant over 50 years after it first debuted?

Tags: , , , , , ,

26 Responses to Steven Moffat Continues as Showrunner for Series 9!

1. avatar Hunith says:

I don’t hate Moffat, but I think it would have been good for the show to let someone new have a go and bring his or her new visions into it. A missed chance.

2. avatar Harry M VanHoudnos says:

I think that Moffat should have left when Matt Smith left. Change Doctor’s change Producer. Add to it Moffat’s work on the 50th anniversary, I feel that he should have left when Capaldi came in.

3. I wouldnt say all of his series have been good… Series 6 is one that springs to mind….. Apart from that his episodes have been very good

4. avatar Sutekh'sGiftOfUnlimitedRicePudding says:

Bloomin’ brilliant news. For me, his era has been the strongest since the Hinchcliffe/Holmes era, so I’m really pleased about this.
    I know he’ll have to go eventually, and that’s fair and right as Who thrives on change, but I’m not convinced that there is a clear candidate to replace him at the moment, in the way that Moffat was the clear candidate to replace RTD.

5. avatar Ian Scales says:

I can’t honestly think of anyone in the same league as RTD or the Moff, so I am pleased. I don’t personally enjoy a couple of the writers he has each year, but he seems to get new ones in to counter-balance that.

6. avatar rickjlundeen says:

As much as I like the Moff, when I read the title to this article, I found myself disappointed. I can’t help but be wary after seeing the quality of 7B. Maybe he was distracted because of the 50th–which was excellent or distracted because of Sherlock series 3–which was rubbish, but I felt the quality control did slip during 7B.

But hey, hopefully he’ll get back in the saddle and get the ship running smoothly again. BUT, whenever he throws in one of his proclamations about “oh, you won’t have seen this coming!” Like above for the end of series 9, eh, it’s sounding a bit hollow. Fingers crossed but I do think he’s a better writer than show runner. Fingers crossed.

7. avatar lozzer says:

Agreed that there is no obvious replacement. Think series 9 will prob be his last though… I wonder what the cliffhanger is? I was thinking it would be great to have a multi Master story if they’ve already cast another Master – Imagine the Doctor facing off against two of them…

8. avatar Babel Fish says:

Something my girlfriend brought up while forcing her to watch Doctor Who is that there is less of the cartoonish “I want to take over Earth for (insert flimsy reason here)” under Moffat’s tenure (not that I don’t love the previous tenures!). The stories have a bit of gravity behind them (Amy deciding which man she wants in Amy’s Choice, the highs and lows of Humanity in the Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, mental illness in Vincent and the Doctor, the Doctor’s relationship with the Tardis in the Doctor’s wife).

Let’s not forget that Moffat has put out some of the best Who episodes ever (Blink, Christmas Carol, Day of the Doctor, The Eleventh Hour, The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace).

It’s exciting to see where he takes Capaldi’s Doctor and it’s nice for a showrunner to have a run at two Doctors.

• avatar Neu 75 says:

Why did you force your girlfriend to watch Doctor Who?
      It’s great that you love the series but why force it down other’s throats? Approval? There’s no need…

• avatar Babel Fish says:

Force is the wrong choice of word! We’re swapping sci-fi series. She’s watching Doctor Who (my favourite show) and I’m watching Stargate SG-1 (her favourite show). I joke that I’m forcing her to watch it but now she is always suggesting that we watch another Doctor Who episode.

9. avatar Toto says:

Am thrilled actually. I agree with you that his is one of the strongest runs in the long history of the show and for me is right up there with the Hinchcliffe years.

10. avatar Simon Magellan says:

Just to say that just because the penultimate ep has a cliffhanger does not actually confirm it is a two parter – that’s an assumption.

It may also be a lot of hype by Moffat. Don’t forget that we were told that Smith would be staying for season eight only for this to then be proven false…

11. avatar koloth says:

Oh dear. :(
    What a shame. All of the Moffs spectacular spin only ends up like a damp sqib!
    It will be nothing like the Master reveal in Utopia.
    Whats wrong with Mark Gatiss as show runner?

• avatar vortexter says:

Mark Gatiss? Showrunner! I’d give him a year before he cast himself as the Doctor. Any old ****** with an equity card…

12. With how they’ve been talking about episodes he commissioned for series 8 showing up in 9 instead, I’m really not surprised one bit. This is the announcement of something that’s been pretty clear for a while now.

That said, I couldn’t be happier he’s here for another year! Though I am suspecting 9 will be his last year. No real evidence, just a hunch I guess.

13. Worst.news.EVER! Too long! It’s like when you keep a dying pet around because you don’t want to let go – even tho’ the pet is clearly ready! Man, I wish a petition would help get him replaced!

14. avatar Lucas W says:

I’ve only recently begun liking the Moffat era of the show and now I’m glad that he’ll be staying. However, I think Moffat may find it hard to leave when the time comes because he will have been on the show for five years. It might become Tom Baker Syndrome…
    As much as I am glad he will be staying on, i personally think the right time would have been the end of Smith’s era. After all, the Smith/Moffat era sounds better than the Smith/Part of Moffat era! It would also add to the whole “change is good” attitude. I worry that changing the feel of the series will not play to his strengths and as a result his writing could falter, although I sincerely hope not.

15. avatar Paul Blume says:

‘A dying pet’.
    I think it may have died on his head.

• Ladies and gentlemen (and all intelligent lifeforms), I present.. Paul Blume FTW! *LOVE IT, GOOD SIR!* :)

16. avatar joesiegler says:

Oh please. I had to live through 1990-2005. I’m quite happy this is happening.

My gut feeling is that he goes after Series 10, along with Capaldi. THAT is your break point.

• avatar quigonj2014 says:

That would be three seasons for Capaldi, so it makes sense to me!

17. avatar DonnaM says:

I’m pleased. Moffat as showrunner is divisive, but let’s be honest, he’s not alone in that. And he certainly gives us plenty to talk about, even between series.

I like his era in writing terms, and he’s been my personal favourite writer since 2005. I’ve not been massively enthused about the past couple of series but it wasn’t a narrative issue, it was a characterisation one. I know criticism of Matt’s Doctor is virtual blasphemy but that’s what failed to engage me; not the plots, the persona. I’m hopeful the new incarnation will be more “my” kind of Doctor.

Also – who’d take over? When Russell T stepped aside the succession was obvious. I’m not sure it is this time.

Perhaps Series 9 will be his last; hopefully Capaldi will be in place beyond that. Surely it’s an easier transition to bring in a new boss with an established Doctor in place. That would be a first for the 21st century how, and it’s far enough into the future to be a total non-issue for me just now :-)

• avatar simon magellan says:

I was thinking the other day that the RTD/Tennant era was really dominant – you couldn’t move for merchandising for example. Despite the US success of the series under Moffat/Smith, it went very quiet domestically I thought. Until the 50th that is – that seems, with Smith’s departure, to have reignited things. The BBC seem more enthusiastic than they have for a while – new DW books announced, world tours. As you say, the Smith era was characterised by a certain persona that did not appeal to everyone – I felt far less interested in it than I had for a while. A new Doctor, hopefully a new approach, may lose some of the Smithites, as he lost some of the Tennantites, but I am sure that new ones will come abroad.

Roll on the 23rd

18. avatar sbendrix says:

I think Moffat is wonderful. I get the criticisms, and occasionally I share them. He’s human. And I’m sure that if there’s a good successor out there somewhere, when that person comes, it will be exciting. But I’d have chained Moffat to his desk for a while longer if it were up to me, so I say this is fantastic news.

19. avatar Paul McGann's Cat says:

” it’s a whopper. Ohh, I don’t think you’ll see this coming!”

Moff over egging it as usual. I do wish he’d stop making comments like this as inevitably I feel let down when I see the final product,chiefly dude to him bigging it up in advance. I wish he’d just shut up and let the work on the screen do the talking for him.

• avatar quigonj2014 says:

I agree with you there. It’s like an old friend of mine who always would say whatever he watched was … the.. best… film… ever!

If Moffat can continue like the 50th, I’ll be happy enough for him to stay. If he continues like 7B, not so sure…