Doctor Who News 20140524-123023-45023724.jpg

Published on May 24th, 2014 | by Nick Kitchen

Matt Smith Begging For Doctor Who Anniversary Return

Be still, my beating heart! The fandom as a whole said a tearful goodbye to Matt Smith in December, but it seems there may be some lingering regret over possibly leaving too soon. During a recent interview with the Calgary Expo, Smith admitted that he is already pleading for a return to the role:

“I’m just waiting for the next anniversary. I spoke to Steven the other day and said ‘what’s the quickest one we can do?’”

Well, next year is the 10th Anniversary of the revival series, but is that too soon? Smith doesn’t seem to think so:

“I love the idea of other Doctors coming back. Also, that gives me the opportunity to come back, which I totally will by the way!”

Personally speaking, I cannot wait to see Smith back as the Doctor. However, we’re more interested in what you think! Fancy Smith’s return or is it way too soon? Let us know below!

(via Unreality TV)

image

Tags: , ,

“That’s bacon! Are you trying to poison me?” And from that line on, I’ve been unable to stop watching, reading, musing about the Doctor. As a recent transplant to the Whoniverse, I’ve been trying to soak up as much Who-related knowledge as possible. That journey has taken me from the Tenth Planet to the Fields of Trenzalore and gently set me at the edge of my seat for what’s next. It’s an honor to be here and I plan to bring a unique perspective. I hope you’ll enjoy the journey alongside me.

15 Responses to Matt Smith Begging For Doctor Who Anniversary Return

1. avatar Ginger Crawford says:

too soon

2. avatar Mobius64 says:

Sure, as long as Christopher Eccleston returns too.

3. avatar Skye says:

I worry that Matt didn’t leave entirely of his own volition. I’ve no idea why anyone would have pressured him out but even before he left he seemed regretful of the choice. It worries me a little.

• avatar DonnaM says:

I’ve heard nothing to suggest it wasn’t his choice; and I’m sure it’s quite natural for him to wonder if he’s done the right thing. I imagine pretty much every actor in that position has felt the same.

I can’t imagine the producers would have pressured him in any way; and if there was even a hint of it I expect it would have leaked by now – everything else seems to :-) after all!

4. avatar DonnaM says:

Much too soon. If he still feels the same way come the 60th anniversary I’d be very happy to see him as a one-off, hopefully alongside David Tennant, Peter Capaldi and whoever else might have played the role by then. I’d be totally gobsmacked if Mr Eccleston ever puts in a reappearance on the show though.

The 10-year anniversary of New Who? I don’t see that as a cause for celebration; it implies the second televised phase is a separate entity to the rest which, to my mind at least, it isn’t.

5. avatar Adam Morgan says:

I think it’s way to soon still. It would look desperate. I agree with DonnaM, wait till the show’s 60th. That’s the appropriate timing.

6. avatar Joe says:

Seems like he regrets leaving

7. avatar Colin says:

My understanding is that Matt’s choice to leave was a career decision, not one based on whether he enjoys what he’s doing. Matt was looking at the body of work he has done as an actor, and what he would still like to do. It would be so easy to get locked into a role like Who, as much fun as it is, and end up 10 years later with nothing else on your C.V. to speak of. And given the international fame the role brought him, there were opportunities opening up for him to grow as an actor that might not come around again.

It was a brave decision, but I think that’s why he made it. Not because he was forced out, nor because he wasn’t enjoying it, but because he was looking long-term at his growth as an actor, and his career path overall. People in business make these kinds of decisions all the time; it’s not so hard to believe actors do too.

As for Matt’s return to Who, next year would be way too soon. Let Peter Capaldi have time to establish himself before bringing back previous Doctors. David Tennant had three years before they brought back Peter Davison for the CiN special. And by the 50th Anniversary, Matt Smith had already developed his Doctor’s character and endeared himself to millions. That’s what made the meeting of 10 and 11 so special.

• avatar Nick Kitchen says:

Well said, mate.

• I couldn’t have said it better.

• avatar WhovianDoctor11 says:

couldn’t of said it any better!

8. Kinda think everyone is just reading a bit too much into it all. It was an off the cuff comment really.

9. avatar J W says:

I always wondered what prompted Smith’s sudden decision to leave. If you look at interviews he did before the mid-season split he was commenting on how brilliant the series 8 scripts he’d seen were and how he couldn’t wait for the next series to start filming. Then the break happened and suddenly we hear that Smith has decided to call it quits at the end of series 7, saying he felt that he’d done everything he could with the role and it was time to move on. Nobody makes a sudden reversal like that without there being some form of mitigating circumstance instigating it. Perhaps his winning a role in Goslings’ film was the impetus or perhaps there were other factors which prompted his departure. We’ll never truly know….at least not until some insider spills the beans.

10. avatar Grant Watson says:

I’m happy for past Doctors to pop back whenever they want to and where the story is appropriate. I’m actually hoping they *do* celebrate the 10th anniversary of the new series somehow in Season 9, or with a pre-season Easter special. It may be the same *story*, but it’s definitely a different *series* to the one from 63-89.

11. I wouldn’t mind Matt Smith coming back next season for a one-off, nothing wrong with celebrating the ten years of the reboot. Plus I haven’t the patience to wait another ten years for another multi-Doctor story!

And Grant Watson, I think it’s the same story and the same series, just with 21st century trimmings attached ;)