Doctor Who News Doctor Who and the Daleks - exactly as it should be!

Published on May 4th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

Has Missing Doctor Who Serial The Power Of The Daleks Been Found?

Released in 2012, Power of the Daleks: Reimagined was an atmospheric adaptation of the original missing Doctor Who serial, released online (and at conventions) to largely favourable reviews.

However, in an interesting turn of events which we believe is omnirumour-related, the two-part film has been excised from YouTube, apparently following a request from the copyright holder, the BBC.

After two years, this seems like a slow reaction; could something else be a contributing factor?

With Nick Scovell as the Doctor and a notable cast for a fan film that included Nick Briggs, Barnaby Edwards and Lisa Bowerman, Power of the Daleks: Reimagined succeeded in keeping affection for the original serial alive while reworking some of its stunning scenes. Now, other than by watching the trailers, this is no longer possible.

Power of the Daleks - Reimagined

Could this be omirumour related? Is the BBC paving the way for the original definitive version of The Power of the Daleks to be issued on DVD, recovered by Philip Morris’ Television International Enterprises Archives Ltd or some private collector?

Let us know what you think.

(With thanks to Ryan)

Update: An Interesting Split

Following our report on Sunday, we’ve noticed an intriguing split in opinion over this. In general, those that have seen Power of the Daleks: Reimagined seem to lean towards its pulling from YouTube actually *meaning* something, whereas those unfamiliar have the broad attitude of “it’s a fan film, meh.”

Naturally, as with any omnirumour claim or counterclaim, we all need to keep our heads and not get our hopes up, advise we’ve been sharing since it all went mainstream last year.

This morning I’ve spoken to one of the people involved with producing the film, who is currently unaware of why Power of the Daleks: Reimagined was pulled.

It’s a fascinating situation, one that will have a lasting effect one way or another…

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

45 Responses to Has Missing Doctor Who Serial The Power Of The Daleks Been Found?

1. Harry M VanHoudnos says:

I hope that it is so. Power and Evil are two of the three Troughton stories that I want BACK in the archives (Along with Fury from the Deep). DWM is saying no new episodes found, but the time needed to clean up both Enemy and Web makes one think that they are about to surprise us!

2. lee moone says:

Who knows what’s going on? Glad I downloaded it only the other week! :)

3. Matthew Kresal says:

Given that a quick search of Youtube reveals that there’s still a lot of other Power Of the Daleks recons on there (which DO feature the BBC copyrighted soundtrack) I doubt it is because the episodes have been found.

• Ah, but you’ve answered your own question: those are reconstructions. Power of the Daleks Reimagined is a reworking.

• Paddy says:

Still though, you would think the recons would be a more obvious target, since they feature the original material… I’m a little surprised something like this is even covered, it’s essentially no different to any other fan film.. other than the specific homages.

I do find this interesting and would love to think it adds some weight to the rumour. I’m undecided on whether it does but it sure is fun speculating!

4. Simon Magellan says:

In the new edition of DWM the BBC and the BFI categorically and totally deny that they have any old episodes in any form whatsoever or that they know of any being found anywhere.

The fact is that this fan production, like many, breaches copyright and intellectual property rights. It is much more likely that the BBC – and the Dalek copyright co-owners, the Nation Estate, have just been slow to react or that this signals a policy change towards such infringments.

Trying to link it to the endless and frankly boring Omnirumour is grasping at straws at best.

• Sorry Simon: this film has been screened at several events and features notable Whoniverse-related actors. That the Nation Estate could be considered “slow” when it comes to protecting interests is bordering on fragmenting reality.

Oh, and the BBC gave permission to the producers to make it.

The sound of straw grasping seems to be coming from a different direction all of a sudden, doesn’t it?

• iankiddy says:

I didn’t know they had permission. That does make it seem a little bit extra suss, I must admit.

• simon smalley says:

No they have made a statement BUT this what was exactly said beforeword for word that nothing had been found then POW two turned up I have it on good authority not to believe anything they say at this time it’s a tactic being used.

5. DonnaM says:

I’d love to believe there could be a connection, but frankly the whole monotonous nonsense has been going on so long, with so many false hopes raised and dashed, that I no longer take anything remotely connected to it seriously.

Don’t get me wrong, Power of the Daleks would be top of my wish list- and many other people’s too no doubt-but I’ll believe it when I see it and not a moment before.

6. Ness_Marc says:

Would love it to be true but the usual wait and see is the sane option. ;) could it have been reported by some other third party who felt they were due a cut?

• Voice of reason :)

7. Matthew Kresal says:

Yeah but they feature the actual soundtraqck and in some cases images of the original TV version. Surely fi the episodes had been found, they’d be the first thing to go?

Also, looking at the Gallifrey Base thread about the production, one of the people who made the reimagined version has said they’re getting a vibe that the production was deemed too good and that there might be confusion about if it was official or not.

8. Matthew Kresal says:

• Thanks for sharing Matthew.

I’m interested in who would be confused about it being official though. Are Doctor Who fans generally so easily duped? I think not. It’s not the first time we’ve heard this about fan productions though, and I think it is just evidence of certain people/departments not having enough to do…

9. Tino Capello says:

The Daleks series released between 66 to 67 were released internationally but only very limited. I believe to Australia and back. This was because Terry Nation wanted to kick start his Daleks US TV show, and wanted to secure the rights as soon as Evil of the Daleks was finished and done circulating.
    So we’ll have to be very lucky.

10. Sammi Carter says:

i won’t be surprised if this leads to an announcement of the recovery in the next few days

• Simon Hall says:

Yeah but you post that you’re expecting an announcement every single day, Sammi. Change the record, mate!!

• Harry M VanHoudnos says:

I, for one, do hope that Power is found. It holds such a special place in the hearts of many a fan. And, if it were not for hope, many of the missing stories might never have been found.

11. edward macguinie says:

not this b@#$%&ks again

12. Scarmans Eyedrops says:

This title has been at the top of my wish list for a long time.

I enjoyed watching the reconstruction of this, far more than some of the complete serials.

Bring it on Omnirumour!

13. Al says:

The BBC could also be cracking the whip. I recall Paramount once made most of the Trek websites disappear for a while too.

14. TimeChaser says:

I’m hedging my bets til something official is said about this, but I would dearly love to see Power of the Daleks returns. Along with Evil of the Daleks, The Abominable Snowmen, and Fury from the Deep.

15. Ian Scales says:

Oh dear, I’m starting to get excited again. Two weeks to find out anyone? That seems to be the normal delay if anything is coming from the first bigger mentions of these things.

• Sammi Carter says:

yeah its like we build up to a massive surprise announcement.

16. FitzoliverJ says:

We know from the Babelcolour/Youtube debacle that the people in charge of “Doctor Who” are *not* the people in charge of taking down copyrighted material from Youtube, who seem to work on the basis that anything with ‘Doctor Who’ in it oughtn’t to be allowed. It’s almost certainly a storm in a teacup

17. Sammi Carter says:

well guys i found this article which states that everything expect the feast of steven has been found: http://t.co/F0IZ5sBamo

18. 42todoomsday says:

Christian, have you sought comment from those involved in the production of the remake? Seems like some light would be shone on this murky topic if you got some response from them.

• Funny you should say that – see the update above!

19. Jayman says:

I don’t buy it.

• TonyS says:

Well it’s not for sale, Jayman… yet :)

20. Lucas W says:

Has anybody asked the BBC why they wanted it to be taken down?

21. It could be as simple as a new edict at the BBC insisting it’s intellectual property be protected with more rigour than before. I’d love to see the originals returned of course, but this event doesn’t touch my optimism one way or the other.

22. vortexter says:

I live in hope that it’s true. If indeed more story’s/episodes have been found then a release every 6 months or so means we are due another now. And Web and Enemys releases broke all records so it makes sense to cash in on that. I hope it’s true.

23. The BBC have done this before on YOUTUBE for many of the reconstructions. It is their intellectual property, not sanctioned and of course they don’t make a shiny brass farthing for it.
    As for the rumors of “THE POWER OF THE DALEKS,” “MARCO POLO,” etc., until I hear it from the source it’s all rumor. I am always pleasantly surprised when something like last year’s find happens.

24. jack says:

apparently following a request “apparently from the copyright holder, the BBC”. Apparently isn’t good enough. Where is the direct evidence that the BBC have done this? There are several other good enough reasons that are non-omnirumour – the most obvious being the expiration of the time period the producers have allowed for this official film to shown on youtube!

With regards to Power being found. Is anybody aware of how FEW copies were made of that story and that all those copies are recorded as being returned and destroyed.

The hardest evidence we have for any ME recovery is in the latest issue of DWM and that piece stands as gospel for a good while now and we need to stick with it until someone else discovers an orphan episode or two out there.

25. Chris says:

I hope so. Power of the Daleks is not only one of my favorite Dalek stories but also I think its the greatest debut for a new Doctor (so far that is). I liked that for once the Daleks were actually scheming, plotting and biding time rather than killing everything in sight (which they eventually do in Power) or turning people into pigs (seriously, what the hell? You couldn’t have brought back the robomen concept?)

26. Andy Wilkins says:

I think its great because then i like many wouldnt mind paying 15 quid for a good serial and get anneke wills and co to do a featurette like one called “Life With Troughton or Without Nation”. That’d be great.

27. joesiegler says:

It’s a fan film. Meh.

28. Will balman says:

Hope this is true and I hope it is announced sometime this week

• Sammi Carter says:

i hope they announce it this week because from midnight tonight is my 22nd birthday and it would be the prefect birthday present to have that announce

29. The Myth Maker says:

I’m not buying into any rumors. Especially after the Canadian lead on Marco Polo proved to be a dead end back in December. I’ve never believed the omnirumor either. As the old saying goes “If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.”

Have a look at the film print information on this site for Power compared to other serials. However, most of this is speculation based on likely scenarios and some official documentation.
    Regardless, notice how few prints were made of Power of the Daleks in comparison to others like Marco Polo or even other stories from the fourth season.

IMO, Power will never be found.

30. Pingback: Geekritique News Roundup – Week of 05/04/14 | Geekritique

31. There goes my favourite fan film…I’m hoping that the cast and crew stick it on Dailymotion or some download site

32. Dave Rudin says:

For the BBC to give permission to allow it to be made, then to retract that permission several years later does make on wonder. We can but live in hope….