Doctor Who News Comedian Frank Skinner begs for Doctor Who role

Published on May 16th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

Comedian Frank Skinner Cast In Doctor Who Series 8!

Earlier this year, comedian and celebrity Doctor Who fan Frank Skinner begged for a role in the show. Today, the BBC announced that he’d been cast…

The Room 101 host says:

I love this show. I subscribe to Doctor Who magazine, I’ve got a TARDIS ringtone, a five-foot cardboard Dalek in my bedroom and when I got the call saying they wanted me to read for the part, I was in the back of my tour bus watching episode three of The Sensorites. I am beyond excited.

Currently touring the UK, Skinner’s current stand-up show Frank Skinner: Man In a Suit takes place alongside presenting the Saturday Morning Breakfast Show on Absolute Radio (interestingly he recently skipped an episode at the last minute…) Frank also appeared in the one-off Doctor Who 50th anniversary comedy The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot.

Says Steven Moffat:

It’s no secret that Frank’s been pitching vigorously to get into Doctor Who for a while. He’s been volunteering to be “third monster on the left” as long as I’ve been in this job. But now, in Jamie Mathieson’s sparkling script, we finally have a part that can showcase all of Frank’s famous wit and charm. Hopefully he’ll get out of my garden now.

Written by Jamie Mathieson (Being Human, Dirk Gently) and directed by Paul Wilmshurst (Strike Back, Combat Kids) Skinner’s fellow actors in the episode include David Bamber (Steven Moffat’s Chalk), Daisy Beaumont (Star Stories), Janet Henfrey (As Time Goes By) and Christopher Villiers (Top Secret, and another Emmerdale connection to add to Jenna Coleman and Samuel Anderson!)

The strong casting continues!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Comedian Frank Skinner Cast In Doctor Who Series 8!

1. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I’ve got to say I’m delighted by this! I have much respect for Skinner and, as noted, he’s a huge fan of the show (all of us that can watch The Sensorites and enjoy it must be). Look forward to seeing what type of character he plays and what he brings to our beloved show!!!

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Also, if you ever saw the episode of Room 101 where Fern Britton chose sci-fi and, in particular, Doctor Who to put into the room, Skinner made it quite clear that he loved Doctor Who and sci-fi in general!

2. avatar DonnaM says:

More pleased with David Bamber’s casting to be honest – he’s another really good actor. Frank Skinner? Ho hum, but it could be worse. If they announced the return of James Corden I would be really displeased…

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I’m really not a fan of Corden in general (I never saw what was meant to be funny about Gavin And Stacey – and his sketch show with Horne was above and beyond atrocious) but he was perfectly cast in the role that he played. I personally would like to see him back at least one more time so that we can have a ‘Craig’ trilogy! :)

• avatar DonnaM says:

For me he’s the best advert for the “off” switch in British television. I’m not, as was probably obvious, much of a Frank Skinner fan either, but he doesn’t have the same effect, and his casting did at least cause another gem of a Moffatism!

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

In all 50 years of Who there has been many questionable casting choices, but never once has any of them been an advertisement enough for me to press the ‘off’ switch as you so call it. Hell, I even enjoyed Ken Dodd’s appearance in Delta!!!
          Also, what do you mean by ‘another gem of a Moffatism’?

• avatar DonnaM says:

“Hopefully he’ll get out of my garden now!”. Moff’s sense of humour cracks me up.

And allow me to express my admiration of your commitment. Much as I love this show, I fear I could not bear a certain face in its second showing…

Here’s hoping I find Mr Skinner’s episode ore enjoyable than I did that one!