Doctor Who News Marco Polo 2

Published on April 10th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

Philip Morris Breaks Silence On Doctor Who Missing Episodes

Philip Morris and his T.I.E.A has been receiving a bit of negative attention from bolshy Doctor Who fans of late, with some doubting the existence of further missing episodes while others think the researcher has the BBC over a barrel.

Whether as a result of Ian Levine’s recent debate challenge, Philip Morris has been good enough to take to Facebook to release the following statement:

T.I.E.A understands the passion felt by Doctor Who fans and that looking for missing episodes of Doctor who plus many other shows is an important but tiny part of the work that T.I.E.A does.The main aim of this organisation is to assist those archives whose own cultural heritage is under threat.If any programmes do still exist T.I.E.A will endeavor to recover them safely as with web of fear and enemy of the world.T.I.E.A are not sponsored by any organisation we are a completely independent body we work alongside many organisations such as the B.F.I .

However as much as people want specific programmes found wishing them into existence or starting rumors will not magically return them .Individuals trying to extract information which does not exist or is commercially confidential will be deleted unread any legitimate inquires for T.I.E.A LTD services are welcome.

Stay Tuned..

Executive Director

Philip Morris.

There has been much whispering about Marco Polo potentially being rediscovered and prepared for release by the BBC (April Fool’s notwithstanding) but to date the omnirumour of missing Doctor Who episodes continues to be limited to just two success, The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World.

Let us not forget that Philip Morris was responsible for recovering those episodes.

We reckon this is all starting to get a little out of hand, and the fact that Morris has felt the need to respond to recent unfair comments saddens us. After all, he’s kind of busy tracking down lost TV shows and probably doesn’t want this distraction.

But what do you think?

Tags: , , , ,

51 Responses to Philip Morris Breaks Silence On Doctor Who Missing Episodes

1. avatar Ian Scales says:

The Truth!

• avatar Ian Scales says:

Sorry, that’s what I want, not what I think :D

2. avatar Leigh Neville says:

I think it IS sad that Mr Morris has had to feel he even needed to comment. I had even MORE respect for him because he wasn’t getting involved in the baiting from… erm.. certain quarters. Those certain quarters don’t speak for the rest of us (and I feel safe to say the vast majority of us). It’s time to put a lid on it now. It’s cheapening the whole thing, and makes it look to others that we are descending into the stereotype of the late 80′s again. Enough now…

• avatar Jacers77 says:

Here here!

3. avatar DonnaM says:

Frankly I feel damned grateful we have two stories I never imagined I would see (almost) complete and available because of Philip Morris’s work. If his organisation never finds another snippet of missing Doctor Who they’ll still have my thanks for their efforts. As he says, these things can’t just be wished back into existence!.

What’s he supposed to do, issue a daily statement “Sorry, no more Doctor Who found today” at six o’clock every evening, just to keep people “informed”? The bolshie individuals in question wouldn’t believe him even if he did!

In short, I’m sick and tired of the whole kerfuffle now. If anything else is announced as recovered, I’ll give three hearty cheers and get straight onto Amazon to pre-order the DVD. Until then, I’ll enjoy what we have and refrain from spitting out my dummy because nobody’s giving me any more :-)

4. avatar Laz says:

If I’m not mistaken a similar statement was released a few months before The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World, too, wasn’t it? So I can’t really say I believe anything said in such statements.

Still, I believe that what’s going on secretly… might have good reasons to remain secret to the public, even though I’d love, like everyone else, to know everything and I perfectly understand Ian Levine’s frustration.

I just hope everything will turn out for the best.

• avatar Ian says:

It’s pretty much word for word, replacing “Sky at Night” with “Enemy and Web”. Pretty pointless really.

5. avatar dr jon says:

We as fans should wait and see what happens in the near future and not demand or jump to conclusions,and not fuel false rumours, or blame others. If episodes turn up that’s great news. But otherwise leave it until we hear it from the horses mouth.

6. avatar Marc Atkinson says:

Because of what was said just weeks before WEB & ENEMY were announced, I don’t believe anything anyone says on the whole thing. I live in hope (like we all do) that behind all the bullshit all 90 odd have been found… :)

7. avatar Ned Warren says:

I only wish there’ weren’t so much theatricality surrounding all this. I doubt Ian leven actually knows anything, yet he’s presenting his suspicions as though they’re fact and being a bit of a dick about it all frankly. I understand his passion and anger, but i feel like he’s leaping to conclusions and letting wishful thinking ruin everything for everyone.

8. avatar zarbisupremo says:

Levine’s acting like the spoiled fat kid at school who tries to pat you down to find a toy which he insists that you’ve got, and that he wants to play with, even though you know that he’ll break it when he gets his fat sweaty mitts on it.

His comments on this subject have been obsessive, objectionable, and downright offensive. Particularly sickening were his comments in the wake of Christopher Barry’s death. He deserves all the trolling he gets for being such a prize tw@t.
    As for Phil Morris, I have a lot of respect for him and a great deal more for keeping a dignified silence and not rising to Levine’s obnoxious provocations.

• avatar Christine says:

Dear Zarbisupremo,
      Whatever you think about Ian’s comments, and in fact I agree with many of your sentiments, I don’t like it that you make his obesity part of the issue. That in my view is not very kind and rather stigmatising. Please leave remarks about appearance out of it.

• avatar Christine says:

By the way: I am not obese or overweight myself. It’s just that I hate it when such outward appearances are used against people when one disagrees with their opinons or with the way they are expressing them. Focus on that instead! And, yes, I do agree that certain opinions are obnoxious. And the way of expressing them can be disastrous. Spoilt children don’t have to be ugly or fat. They can just be spoilt!

• avatar zarbisupremo says:

I didn’t make his obesity part of the issue. I only compared him to several spoiled brats that I encountered during my school years. Please get off your high horse.

• avatar Christine says:

Sorry, yes you did. You made his being fat part of the discussion. High horse or not, I just don’t think that is fair. Especially since I tried to convince you that I share your feelings with regard to P. Morris and what he is trying to achieve. Please don’t get me wrong: I hate it the way he is trying to make P.Morris say more than he can possibly do. And I also hate it that I. Levine is being provocative on that score. But what has that got to do with him being fat? I realise this is all beside the point, it’s just that I remember from last year certain people (and I don’t know their names) made derogatory remarks about Colin Baker and him being fat and that we were all angry about it. So why shouldn’t we be ( or just me) be angry about the fact thst someone is doing the same thing towards someone whose opinions you don’t approve of. Again, I don’t agree with Ian but his being overweight has nothing to with it!

• avatar Stuart says:

She’s not on a high horse, you are equating being obese with being a bastard. Which is a bloody arsey nasty and frankly vile thing to do. Don’t be a prick and complain when someone calls you on it. And I agree with you that Levene is a dick of the highest order: there’s no need to join him.

9. avatar Christine says:

I agree this is getting a bit out of hand and it reflects really badly on us fans. We know that the theatricality is limited to just a few people who tend to make themselves heard rather vociferously. But it will still make other people feel that we are all like that. Although I also feel that there may be more in the pipeline, I understand perfectly that there may be valid reasons for keeping quiet about it. Patience is a great virtue, and so is being grateful to someone who has given us 2 stories we never expected to be able to see for ourselves. We will always have that, whatever else happens! So please, please be quiet about your frustrations (directed to all fans including myself), and be patient. If there really is something out there, one day we will get to know of it!

10. avatar Dave Rudin says:

“Stay tuned..” :-)

• avatar Lily says:

I know! That made me excited :)

11. avatar Peter Ould says:

Bottom line, Morris didn’t deny he had more episodes. Indeed, the “commercially sensitive” reference very much implies he does have more.

• avatar Christine says:

But we still have to be patient (and for some: quiet)….

• avatar TonyS says:

I think there is a danger of reading too much into the “phrase commercially sensitive”. I read it as a general reference to how approaches to TIEA would be handled.

As Christine (and others) said, we need to be patient.

12. avatar dr jon says:

Yes very true, let’s just see what happens in the future instead of guess work..

• avatar Christine says:

Dr jon: Exactly! Hope is good, blaming people or organisations for not fulfilling the hope within a certain time period, really is wrong (or bad).

13. avatar Paul McGann's Cat says:

The statement is very interesting because it contains the comment “or commercially confidential”. It suggests that there may be something going on after all.Surely if there were no further recoveries the statement would simply say “at this stage we have not recovered any further missing episodes”?

Who knows? Levine maybe onto something after all….

14. avatar Christine says:

Yes, yes, yes. It would be awesome! Let us just be patient. That’s the whole point!

15. avatar Christine says:

Sorry, sorry to everybody reading this. I got a bit carried away with regard to the “fat” issue. One part of my work as a nutritionist is being alert to people who degrade others by mentioning that being fat is negative, something nobody would wish for him- or herself
    Being obese is such a negative experience. So when one of our respondents made use of the fact that Ian is a rather fat guy, I got berserk. I hate it when this kind of thing is being made use of in discussions which really should focus on the arguments. So, sorry again and I am still ging to be patient and just wait! Regardless of what Ian has put forward or his enemies!

• avatar Ned Warren says:

Perfectly understandable! no harm done, I think….

16. avatar Ashleigh says:

Does it matter if he sounds fishy? He’s finding lost episodes. Why would you want to say rude things to someone like that? No matter how he does it, he’s the closest thing to getting these lost episodes that we’ve got. So everyone needs to stop harrassing him and let him do his thing. Rude people…
    (P.S: Not in this chat specifically, but the reason this situation is brought about.)

17. avatar Gary says:

I think various departments at the BBC are readying the release of Marco Polo. Although the listing of the DVD on the shop was either an April Fools joke or a huge cock up. Either way, the BBC will be able to track the number of hits so far and will have some idea just how successful any potential DVD will be. Gary

• avatar Francis cave says:

It was an April fools joke by doctor who online, nothing more nothing less..

18. avatar Ian says:

I don’t think Ian Levine helps matters but issuing a challenge to Philip Morris. I can’t see him holding onto episodes. Having said that Ian Levine has been consistent in saying more episodes have been found.

19. avatar Ranger says:

I think it is a case that Levine is bitter as he used to be the one to find lost episodes and now he has been eclipsed. Unfortunately, he is giving the rest of us a bad name. Christine is absolutely right – we need to be patient and quiet. If something else has been discovered, we can all shout and sing then, if nothing else is found ever again, then just be grateful for the ones that Morris and everyone else have found.

• avatar Ian says:

“now he has been eclipsed” – really? By who? Phil Morris has found 9 so far, Levine found more than 20. I think Ian would love his record to be officially eclipsed, the whole point is that it hasn’t even though he reckons it should have by now.

20. avatar james says:

what happened to that ‘confirmed’ treasure trove of tapes from africa?

• iirc it was a treasure trove of lots of shows, not just DW.

21. avatar Geoff says:

Wow, lots of anger here. My view?
    I baulked when I read lines about fat kids and Ian Levine before I even read the subsequent comments. Sure you didn’t actually call him the fat kid at school but he is a big guy and I think it was generally quite insensitive and a fairly crass way of making a point.
    “Ian would love to have his record eclipsed” that’s a fair point no one else has mentioned. Sure Ian Levine is clearly a man with ego but he loves the show and I think he like any of us wants as much missing material to be found as possible. I have never got the impression he was bitter because someone else was finding it. He just seems irrationally angry about the manner that person is using to release information (and that’s make a big assumption that there’s anything to say in the first place).
    Ian Levine shoukd have kept a cool head and acted like a rational person instead of letting his frustration get the better of him and then making himself look like an obsessive idiot which I’m sure he’s not.
    I’m surprised Phillip Morris even replied. Personally I’d have treated it with the attention it deserved: None!
    But he has responded and once again his answer is tactful and vague which is hardly surprising considering that lots of his enquiries are quite delicate and there are lots of other parties and politics involved. Basically Ian Levine is a hobbiest with a fair amount of resources and time, Phillip Morris is conversely not passionate about Doctor Who but is a business man who’s business is tracking down lost or missing material. There’s a works of difference and that’s why they present in such different ways.

• avatar Gareth Kavanagh says:

I think you’ll find Phil is extremely passionate about Doctor Who and started out very much as a hobbyist with the support of Ian and members the RT, albeit one with sufficient funds to start the search and experience of working in Africa.

22. avatar Christine says:

This time it is going to be about something else altogether. My great niece has been reported missing in Panama. She is in her early 20s, and has been doing charity work over there. I don’t really know the girl but I know her parents very well. The poor child has just disappeared and we are very worried. Her parents have travelled to Panama and are assisting the search. The girls ( my great niece was accompanied by a friend) have been missing for 10 days now and everybody who knows them is just about frantic. I realise this is not the place but anyone who has heard or noted anything: please let me know. Sorry Christian for using this forum for such an issue, but we just don’t know what to do. Help us, share this message, whatever. Her name is Kris!

• avatar Geoff says:

Well I don’t mind you posting this. We are a community of friends with a common interest and if something is worrying you and it helps to share it here then why shouldn’t you?

Central America is a huge place and this girl is very young. I’m sure she’s just gone off somewhere and is blissfully unaware how much worry she’s caused. The fact she’s with a friend hopefully backs this idea up. I really hope they just turn up in a little while unaware of all the worry they’ve caused.

23. avatar Joyce says:

“Stay tuned”. You do realise he’s enjoying all this…don’t you?

• avatar TonyS says:

Yes, Joyce. I think he probably is…

24. avatar dr jon says:

I hope they find your great niece and her friend so sorry to hear this. (And I thumbs down by mistake on one of your comments sorry!)

• avatar Christine says:

Dear Dr jon and Geoff: thank you for your reactions. The girls still haven’t been found but the reactions every where have been great and helpful. Including yours especially since I have been using this forum (and I generally discuss Doctor Who issues here as is appropriate) for my families’ ends. Thanks, and if there is better news, I will let you know!

25. avatar Andrew G. Dick says:

Like millions of other Whovians, I am itching for official news about these missing episodes. Phillip Morris knows what he’s doing, so I say just let him and his team get on with it. I’m sure the wait will be worth it. I just think it’s incredible that over 6 months ago, the thought of any more missing episodes was just a dream. Now however their is real optimism and every possibility that in the words of the late great John Nathan-Turner, we are going to be “surprised and delighted” very soon.

26. avatar richy555 says:

If Phillip Morris was a drug dealer and we were all his customers!?!, Ian Levine would be the biggest smack-head of all, lol. He’s given us all some grade A gear to take home and try in Enemy and most of Web and now were all hooked, whether P Morris intended us to be or not! but we’re all ( well most of us anyway! ) worse than druggies. At least druggies are just happy to get high on the gear there given and will only badger the dealer for more when the high has gone and there back on terra ferma. Not you’re average Who fan no! not only have we given Mr Morris lots of hassle and stick about more gear he may or may not have; almost from day one of him providing us with our fix of missing episodes but we all seem desperate to know were he’s getting his gear from, who’s selling to him, what negotiations are taking place for said gear. No self-respecting druggie would act like that!. Who says were all not addicted!, lol. I Levine has got a addictive personality, it’s come out in a fairly positive way in his love for Who and northern soul rather than something destructive like drugs but he is a addict and addicts always act irrationally when it comes to the things there addicted to. Ian maybe atop of that addictive pile but let’s face it we’re all in there somewhere and it’s all getting a bit unhealthy. A little tip for anyone who may feel desperate to know what is going on behind all of this and when we are going to know more. When was the last week when you never gave a second thought about missing episodes. If the answer is quite a time ago it’s time to step back and let sleeping dogs lie!. If not well just take a little sideways glance at Ian to see were the end of that road is!.

27. avatar Geoff says:

Someone wrote to DWM years and years ago making the point that the radio waves just keep on going do all we need to do is invent a space craft with a powerful enough propulsion source to get in front of the travelling radio waves and then just pick them up again. It’s a best idea. If only Ian Levines anger could be harnessed as a source of energy we’d be laughing!

28. avatar Howard Railton says:

I just wish they would do what they promised in the trailer on a recent DVD and get on and finally release Underwater Menace. We’ve been waiting for years to see ep 2 and we know that does exist.

29. avatar mark duncan says:

Further returns seem inevitable and as fans we need to help generate a good situation – both for those involved in their recovery and those with the material – to facilitate recovery. Scary fan rants, negative social media comments, etc. do nothing but potentially deter people from returning the very material we want to see again! Whilst Mr. Morris is currently in the limelight, let’s not forget everyone else – fans and individuals (professional and amateur) – around the world who helped restore Dr. Who. We should be celebrating not criticizing their efforts. How about an appreciation day and / or 2Entertain DVD Special to allow loyal fans and the Public to share that enjoyment – instead of allowing others’ negativity to dominate. A classic case of the minority spoiling it fro the majority, I for one would wholeheartedly support such an event / DVD release and all the great people and rare material that could result from it.

30. Everyone’s missing the real story here. Morris says: “Individuals trying to extract information which does not exist or is commercially confidential will be deleted.” Notice that he doesn’t say that MAIL from those individuals will be deleted. He says the individuals themselves will be deleted.

• avatar Christine says:

By the cybermen of course….