Doctor Who News Is Paul McGann Set For Another Doctor Who Return?

Published on March 12th, 2014 | by Drew Boynton

The Eighth Doctor in the TARDIS – Hold On, WHAT?

Paul McGann has once again set the hearts of fans aflutter–and not just in his usual way.

The actor recently posted a picture on his Twitter account that took everyone by surprise:  a bird’s-eye view of none other than the Eighth Doctor in the control room Eleventh Doctor’s TARDIS.  The image shows McGann in his The Night of the Doctor costume with his arms outstretched, and standing near the dimly lit console that used to be Matt Smith’s.  It’s a happy-face moment and a sad-face moment at the same time!

Now, before the “McGann is in series eight!” rumours start, the photo was almost certainly taken last year during the filming of The Night of the Doctor.  McGann probably shuttled over to the TARDIS set during a break in filming and had the photo snapped.

Having said that, the enduringly popular actor was apparently in Cardiff recently…

No word on whether Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy can be spotted sneaking around in the shadows somewhere behind him.

Kasterborites, do you think we’ll ever see the Eighth Doctor onscreen in a proper upcoming episode–this time outstretching his arms to hug the Twelfth Doctor, perhaps?

(Thanks to Daren, additional facts from Life, Doctor Who & Combom.)

Tags: , , ,

Drew has been a fan of Doctor Who ever since he flipped through the channels late one night and saw a girl blowing up an army of funny robot men with nothing but a slingshot and some old coins. He currently lives somewhere in the woods of Missouri with his beautiful wife Barbara.

14 Responses to The Eighth Doctor in the TARDIS – Hold On, WHAT?

1. avatar TimeChaser says:

He looks good in that particular console room.

2. avatar sw says:

Whilst at Newcastle film & comic con last Saturday I thought I heard McGann say to an inquiring fan that he would be working with Peter Capaldi, it was of those did I hear that right moments!! As much as I would like it to be true I think the pic was taken last year

3. avatar Liz says:

It was mentioned by baker to smith that he might visit some of the old faces…. I don’t care how they do it, I’m just going to enjoy the moment.

4. avatar mrjohnm says:

2015 is the 10th anniversary of the show’s triumphant return. While we obviously won’t have something as spectacular as the 50th anniversary special, an episode with Capaldi and McGann to celebrate the 10th anniversary would be nice!

• avatar Bob says:

I was wondering if anyone else would start to bring up the fact that we’re coming up on the 10th Anniversary. McGann’s return would be amazing, but I’ve had something else in mind. Although I’m about 99.9% sure it would never happen, ever since the tease in Day of the Doctor I’ve kind of held out hope that maybe Eccleston could be talked into returning for the 10th Anniversary. Even if it was just a flashback picking up with his actual regeneration and the adventure that followed. A man can dream!

• Oh, yes, Indeed! I’m eagerly awaiting my netflix disc for the 1996 movie so I can watch him in his Who glory!

• avatar mrjohnm says:

Don’t you have to return the Netflix discs? I went to Best Buy and now can claim the disc is mine!

• avatar Jamie-42 says:

I love that idea, I was thinking the same thing!

5. avatar DonnaM says:

If it happens, it won’t be during Series 8, surely? Let the new Doctor establish himself before you start throwing in another version.

Personally I love McGann as the Doctor and think he deserves lot more screen time; I also think a double-act between two such amazing actors as him and Capaldi would be sensational. However, if it was on the cards imminently, would he have dropped even the smallest hint (like posting a photo of himself in the TARDIS) to get fans talking?

I doubt it! This is the man who kept it completely zipped over the minisode, after all.

• avatar hd3k says:

The second Doctor showed up in The Two Doctors with Colin Baker in his first series. It has happened. I have said it before, and so have others, there’s a lot of similarities between the 5 to 6 regeneration and the 11 to 12. I doubt we’ll see Capaldi throttle Jenna, but a return of 8 would be a wonderful event. They could even use the War Doctor’s Tardis set for McGann, if they haven’t dismantled it yet. It was Doctor 7 that designed the movie Tardis, and I would imagine that the War Doctor was too busy fighting the war to change the console room, so I like to think it was 8 who designed the “grunge look.”

• avatar DonnaM says:

Yes it’s happened, but I’d prefer not to be reminded of The Two Doctors in any way, shape or form – not even the great Patrick Troughton could redeem that one for me! :-)

6. avatar Howard Railton says:

Great if McGann came back, even I would be forced to have a good word to say about Moff then.

7. avatar dr jon says:

Its true that in the 50th tom baker said that the Dr would visit some of his favorite incarnations. One of them may well be the 8th Dr, there is a rumour that john hurt may turn up in the last episode. There may be a connection some where down the line.

8. Actually during the 50th shoot, the floor of the TARDIS was raised to accommodate Clara’s bike. If you look at all the scenes in the TARDIS during Day of The Doctor, the raised floor can be seen. Therefore this had to have been taken at another time.