Merchandise dvd-weboffear-cover

Published on January 23rd, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

The Web of Fear DVD Release Date Confirmed

Previously unseen in the UK for 45 years and re-mastered from newly discovered tapes located in Nigeria, the formerly missing Doctor Who classic – The Web of Fear – will be available to own on DVD from February 24th.

The following has been sent by BBC Worldwide:

Starring Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, alongside Frazer Hines (Jamie) and Deborah Watling (Victoria) as companions, this iconic story sees the TARDIS narrowly avoid becoming engulfed in a mysterious cobweb-like substance in space before arriving in the London Underground railway, where the Doctor soon discovers that something strange is afoot as the tunnels are being overrun by the web, an army or robotic yetis and The Great Intelligence.

Before the original broadcast in 1967, this story was deemed so scary that the Doctor delivered the following message to television audiences:

Thank goodness… Oh, it’s you… I thought for one moment it was… I’ll just sit down for a minute. I’m glad I met you as a matter of fact; there’s something I want to tell you. When we start out on our next adventure – Jamie, Victoria and I – we meet some old friends. Yes, and we also meet some old enemies. Very old enemies. The Yeti as a matter of fact. Only this time, they’re just a little bit more frightening than the last time. So I’ll warn you that if your Mummy or Daddy are scared, you just get them to hold your hand.

*Gunfire* Here we go again. I’ve got to go. See you soon – I hope!

dvd-weboffear-cover

The Web of Fear is also famed for introducing one of Doctor Who folklore’s most beloved characters: Nicholas Courtney as Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart who later became the Brigadier. The Brigadier’s legacy lives on in contemporary Doctor Who, with Kate Lethbridge-Stewart (his daughter) starring in the anniversary episode The Day of the Doctor.

You will notice there is no mention of extras (not a surprise), or of any relation between this release and that seen on iTunes. However, missing episodes aficionados should not expect to find anything other than complete versions of parts one, two, four, five and six and the abridged third episode on this DVD.

The Web of Fear can be ordered now from Amazon, where the £20.42 RRP is reduced to just £13.97, ahead of the February 24th release date.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to The Web of Fear DVD Release Date Confirmed

1. avatar Jamie says:

I’m hoping for episodes 5 & 6 as well

2. avatar derekbd says:

“…missing episodes aficionados should not expect to find anything other than complete versions of parts one, two and four, and the abridged third episode on this DVD.”

Do I have to point out the obvious omission? WoF is a 6 parter.

• Thanks, derekbd. I hope you’re equally constructive when emailing BBCWW to point out that their press release contains virtually no information.
      ;)

3. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I am curious as to why they didn’t animate the missing part. And I’m more curious as to when Enemy of the world will be available on DVD here in the states. It’s been available in Canada for the last month but not here. I don’t get it.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

I’m wondering the same thing. We get The Moonbase in February, but there are no dates for a stateside release of either Enemy of the World or Web of Fear? What gives, BBC Worldwide?? There are fans over here too who would give their kidneys for these stories on DVD. You’re ignoring a large part of the fanbase that would PAY YOU! Aren’t you interested in our money?

4. avatar Spacedog2k5 says:

Seriously? Starting to hate the BBC’s handling of DVD releases on this side of the Atlantic.. Classics like the 5th Doctor’s “Planet of Fire”, as well as the 7th Doctor’s “Ghost Light”, just to give a couple examples, have gone out of print over here, while in the UK and abroad they are still in print. The end result for us in the States is pay *ridiculous* amounts for the originals or seek out of bootlegs. And now this? No US release date for “Web of Fear”? More like “Web of Unfair”!

5. avatar James Lomond says:

All I want to know is whether it’s been VidFired nice and crisp for us – does anyone know? It made such a difference to the Seeds of Death DVD release…

This article seems to imply that the iTunes release of Web had been:

But it didn’t look like it to me! Fibbers…

Not sure I can be arsed to buy the DVD as well if there’s ‘owt different with it. :(