Merchandise New Doctor Who figures revealed, includes Zygon, 12th Doctor

Published on January 23rd, 2014 | by Andrew Reynolds

Twelfth Doctor & Rugby Playing Clara Toys Unveiled

The Twelfth Doctor and lifelong Doctor Who fan Peter Capaldi must have felt a particular fan boy stirring when images for the latest line of Doctor Who action figures were unveiled at the UK industry showcase, Toyfair.

Complete with  mischievous grin and a rather louche raised eyebrow, the newly-regenerated 3.75 inch Twelfth Doctor figure bares a decent likeness to Capaldi while, I’m not sure which episode saw Clara’s body melded with a Sontaran commander but the likeness is excellent…what’s that…that’s just Clara’s likeness…but she looks like a rugby player in a dress…

It’s hardly the most flattering incarnation of one of the most striking actresses to ever board the TARDIS.

Anyhow, the whole range from Doctor Who master toy licensee Character Options – based around the 50th anniversary and Christmas specials – for release in Spring 2014 includes a Zygon, brand new scrum half Clara Oswald, Matt Smith’s Eleventh Doctor (minus the milk of human/Time Lord kindness), a screaming Weeping Angel, an Assault Dalek, an Imperial Guard Dalek and, last but not least, the newly-regenerated Twelfth Doctor.

So what do you think of the Twelfth Doctor’s first action figure? Does Clara need to stop working out as much? Why was there no Eleventh Doctor figure with removable wig (or Amy Pond for that matter, he said knowingly.)

(Via DoctorWho.tv)

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Twelfth Doctor & Rugby Playing Clara Toys Unveiled

1. avatar Christine says:

The Clara really is awful. I like your comparison of the merging with a sontaran!

2. avatar Paul Blume says:

While the monsters get a pass, the likenesses (!?!) of ALL the actors is simply execrable. Scrum half, indeed.

3. avatar yorkshirened says:

Shockingly bad. But even if they were spookily good, I still wouldn’t bother as it is 3.75″. All my figures are 5″. Why would I want dwarven versions? I gather the toy shops wont stock 5″ anymore so I’m hoping they’ll produce 5″ figures of new series characters and distribute them via comic shops like they do the 5″ classic series figures. Instead of a new range and a classic range, they could just make it the 3.75″ range and the 5″ range. Seeing as they are doing a 5″ War Doctor, I think this is likely

• avatar Al says:

Do kids actually buy these anyway? As far as I know only adult fans collect them. Then again here in North America even these 3.75 nothings will carry price tags of between $20 and $30 each (with Clara probably on the high end of the scale because they tend to do that with female figures). The sad part is we’re unlikely to ever see the 10-inch “doll-style” releases. I managed to snag a Tenth Doctor when it came out (but missed out on a Martha), and really wish they’d done ones with Rose, Donna, Amy and Clara. Those would take pride of place in anyone’s collection. I have seen a large-format doll of Amy done by Sideshow or one of those companies, but it’s like $150 and too rich for my blood, even as a collector.

4. avatar castellanspandrel says:

The monsters don’t get a pass either. The Zygon fella looks like a sinister version of Bungle: https://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/sites/default/files/Bungle.jpg

Character Options have well and truly shot themselves in the anus with the 3.75″ specifications, and unless the 12th Dr is released in 5″, I won’t be bothering with it.

Shame. The figures used to be of such a generally high quality.

• avatar Colin says:

Sinister version of Bungle! LOL–what’s so funny, is that’s so TRUE! :)

I echo the sentiments re. the 3.75″ figures vs. the 5″. What you save on plastic, you lose where it counts.

5. avatar Al says:

There’s only so much they can do with 3.75 and Capaldi isn’t very good – he look a Mad Magazine spoof. The 5 inch figures allow for better representation. The other 3.75 Clara was poor too. I stopped buying when they stopped the 5″ models and none of these inspire me to change my mind.

6. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Horrible, horrible horrible. Bad likenesses, and I haven’t seen one in that ridiculous 3.75 range that I want. I was hoping a decline in sales would force them to go back to the 5 inch range but ah well. It saves me a lot of time and money.

And is *that* Capaldi’s costume? Horrible way to see it first…….can’t someone important talk to somebody important and get rid of this crappy range?

7. avatar rickjlundeen says:

upon second look, it appears to be Smith’s costume at least…..I think it is….

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

I think it is Smith’s costume, Rick.

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

It’s certainly meant to be what MS was wearing when he regenerated – so hopefully not the first reveal of PC’s costume! Bit mystified as to why MS is wearing old costume (even if I did prefer it). Agree Clara is awful – Jenna is rather a stunner and this is just a travesty.

• avatar Spider-pope says:

The Eleventh Doctor has his old gear on because they’ve already released him in his later costume. Although i only know it was the Eleventh Doctor because it said so on the box, because the likeness is abysmal.

The 5″ line was far, far superior and i would hope they give Capaldi a 5″ figure at some point, because a deformed looking 3.75″ just isn’t good enough.

8. avatar DonnaM says:

Clara looks to me as if she was molded by someone who’d only had the beautiful Jenna described (badly) down a crackling phone line. To make a likeness so completely unlike the original… well, that takes a certain skill I suppose.

The Twelfth Doctor is just about recognisable (and it’s definitely the regeneration costume, even the Beeb couldn’t be stupid enough to unleash the real new look on us this way!)

9. avatar drewboynton says:

Poor Peter Capaldi looks like Jeremy Clarkson and poor Clara looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a wig and dress!

• avatar Jeff G says:

Lol…..and Matt’s face looks like Keanu Reeves during The Matrix movies.

10. avatar Jeff G says:

What I really really want is a really detailed 5″ or bigger 11th Doctor with his Victorian costume look from Time of the Doctor. Fob watch and all. A beautiful outfit!