Doctor Who News 12thdr-unveiled-ft

Published on January 27th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

Peter Capaldi’s Doctor Gets His Own Look At Last!

As expected, the BBC has released the first image of Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor!

The threads above have a feel of Jon Pertwee about them (especially that rich red lining and sharp white shirt) but they are unmistakeably original!

The BBC tell us that the Doctor sports a dark blue Crombie coat with red lining, dark blue trousers, a white shirt as well as black Dr. Marten shoes, in a look created by Doctor Who costume designer Howard Burden.

What does Capaldi think?

He’s woven the future from the cloth of the past. Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord.

“Rebel”? Could Capaldi’s incarnation be drawn from the punk movement?

Peter Capaldi as the Doctor!

Meanwhile executive producer Steven Moffat declared:

New Doctor, new era, and of course new clothes. Monsters of the universe, the vacation is over – Capaldi is suited and booted and coming to get you!

With a final PR platitude, Charlotte Moore, Controller of BBC One, claimed:

Peter Capaldi’s Doctor is officially recorded in history today with the unveiling of his new costume. It’s sharp, smart and stylish – The Twelfth Time Lord means business.

Wouldn’t be much of a show otherwise, would it?

Still, it’s a striking new look. What do you think?

(Thanks to Carolyn)

Tags: , ,

32 Responses to Peter Capaldi’s Doctor Gets His Own Look At Last!

1. avatar sw says:

Love it!

2. avatar Philip Bates says:

Bit Pertwee-esque. I’m not blown away, but yeah, looks good on him. I don’t think we could have another eccentric-looking Doc so soon after Mr. Cool Bow Tie and Tweed.

3. avatar bbdrvr says:

The Doctor has always been a rebel/rogue Time Lord. I don’t think he was hinting at anything about this regeneration in particular.

4. avatar DonnaM says:

No frills, no messing – Oh, I was hoping for that!

I’m not sure what I was expecting – probably no this, but what the hell? He looks the part to me! There’s a bit of an old-school feel but it still manages to look different from all his predecessors.

Yep – the more I look at it he more I like it.

5. avatar Dave Rudin says:

His hair is not as frilly as Petwee’s and neither is the shirt. ;-)

6. avatar Cardinal Braxiatel says:

Love it! It feels like we have a classic Doctor once more. I just hope the change in direction doesn’t alienate too many new fans. The 13 year old Whovians That I teach are not keen on having an “old” Doctor (but they think anyone over 18 is old). Looks like I’ll have to educate them in the ways of Who as well as the national curriculum…

• avatar thehoneyman says:

The six and seven year olds I teach are currently studying The Daleks (1963) and they don’t give a fig the Doctor is an old man. They are looking forward to Capaldi.

7. avatar Rick714 says:

It’s funny that one little flash of red reminds everyone of Pertwee—and it does of course but when the coat is closed, his outfit will be over all as dark an ensemble as the Time Lord has ever worn, which may all be a part of the new direction, possibly dark, gothic look some have wondered about.

8. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

No ties are cool. This outfit looks perfect for crossing the void beyond the mind, or, indeed, the empty space that circles time.

• Oh brilliant comment!

9. Am I the only who think Capaldi looks like a Silence when he’s posing like that?

10. avatar drewboynton says:

Kind of reminds me of a Pertwee (because of the red lining) and Matt Smith mix. It looks OK. It feels like he really needs a tie or a scarf of some sort (or unbutton your top button, Doctor!). It just feels like a very basic outfit–mostly plain and solid colors. Not a long coat, not a short one either…

• avatar Keyser says:

I agree. I think he needs something around his neck as well.

11. avatar koloth says:

Drainpipes and big shoes again. Otherwise not bad

12. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Modern-day Pertwee! Sort of! Bring it on Capaldi!

13. avatar TimeChaser says:

Yes, I can see what they meant now that it would be classic and yet looking to the future. The red lining, the grey/white hair, the darker colors, the stark white shirt, all bring Pertwee to mind. But the trousers and shoes do have more of a Punk-era feel to them. Capaldi seems to be wearing his influences literally on his sleeves. Nothing that screams ‘eccentric’. De-emphasizing the wildness of previous recent Doctors.

14. avatar Scarmans Eyedrops says:

I really like it. The navy is going to look super slick.

I imagine we’re going to get a couple of variations on this theme ie. colour, length, texture.

This is one imperious looking Doctor.

15. I would have gone with riding boots rather than the DMs personally…I think they would have set it off nicely

16. avatar dr jon says:

This outfit is great,he looks like a modern day pertwee doctor with the hair outfit and pose. I think our new Dr was a 3rd Dr fan,and nothing wrong with that. I wonder if he will don a cape when he as done a story or two.

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I hope he doesn’t don a cape. It’s lovely for the outfit to be influenced by the past. But there’s no need to copy it exactly!

17. avatar castellanspandrel says:

Lovely cossie, though he does look like a magician going ‘Shazam!’ in this pic, due to the pose.

18. avatar krumstets says:

Excellent costume , great photo . Must say I am very impressed .
    Nice one.

19. avatar dr jon says:

I don’t mind the magicians look as long as he doesn’t have Debbie magee as an assistant.

20. avatar TonyS says:

One still photo is not a lot to go on but my first impression is that it looks like a blue version of Matt Smith’s final costume minus the bow tie. Will be interesting to see the costume “in action”

21. avatar Lozzer says:

I like it as it is quite minimalist, a bit like a more dressed up version of Eccleston. Clothes do not maketh the man. Oh, and my wife thinks he looks like a vampire.

22. avatar castellanspandrel says:

Doesn’t take much to get a thumbs down on here, does it? ;)

23. avatar Jamie-42 says:

One look and all I can say is,”Yes, got it in one!”

24. avatar Simon Magellan says:

It reminded me of an edwardian huntsman’s costume – given he does ride a horse in the first ep, maybe this is deliberate?

25. avatar TraineeHellcat says:

I just love the patent DM’s but does his feet look big? I agree it just needs something else, tie, hat, but maybe that will follow.

26. avatar Paul Aspel says:

looks good to me, although I think it might of been cool to have a light pin-stripe on the trousers.

I wonder if he’s going to have checked braces and will be moon stomping his enemies this time around?

27. avatar Ranger says:

I too feel it has a huntsman’s feel to it. It’s OK in that it is quite severe and I was hoping they would get away from all the ruffles, bow ties and silly hats, but I was hoping for something a little more modern. But it does look good on him.

28. avatar geoff says:

I think it’s a bit “costumey” in the same sense that Matts costume was by the end, but they’ve moved it a bit away from that Victorian Time traveller feel of Matts final outfit which I never really liked. It was a bit affected I thought which was a shame because I loved. Matts first look.

So I’d say “costumey” on the downside but the positive is that it and he look really good. Hopefully it will vary a bit in each story which will take away that costume feel and instead just become part of his persona in the sense that he wears that type of clothing not ness scarily always exactly the same thing.

Over all though striking, memorable and timeless. The clothes aren’t bad either!