Published on December 27th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

The Doctor Is Regenerating!!!! [VIDEO]

It is time to relive the moment, the last minute of the Eleventh Doctor’s life, when the dying Time Lord declared that “I will always remember when the Doctor was me.”

The moment was of course prepared for… goodbye, Matt Smith.

Hello, Peter Capaldi!

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to The Doctor Is Regenerating!!!! [VIDEO]

1. FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Loved it! Kidneys indeed! I loved how they went for a slightly different approach to the usual effect. The regeneration sequences since the revival have all been uniform and I can understand why they did that. But that makes it a little less exciting if you know what to expect when the moment comes. I, for one, was expecting the same as the last few. I was not expecting for Matt to throw his head back followed by a millisecond ‘Flash’ and then Capaldi’s (oh so lovely) Doctor-ish eyes to stare menacingly at Clara! Fair play, they kept elements of it, but lets get back to totally different effects when a regeneration happens. None of the originals were the same (not always great) but at least you never new what the process was going to be visually!

2. David F says:

When I first watched the ending, I read Capaldi’s final line as the usual post-regeneration amnesia. But maybe it’s more than that. He’s been stuck in the same place for hundreds of years. Maybe he has actually forgotten.

It’s a great opportunity for a mood change. Instead of a rootless Doctor who’s jaded by centuries of wandering, we might now have a Doctor who’s rediscovering the joys of travelling as if for the first time.

3. DonnaM says:

I think that’s what you call an impact substitution!

Loved Matt’s slow drop of the bow tie – if there’s one item I’ll always associate with his Doctor, it’s that!. And the new Doctor’s few lines didn’t disappoint, which considering how high my hopes are for him is saying something!

“We’re probably crashing!”

It wouldn’t be Doctor Who if things went smoothly at such a difficult moment, would it? Still, I do hope he hasn’t completely forgotten how to operate the TARDIS…

4. TimeChaser says:

I find myself going around saying “Kidneys! I’ve got new kidneys!” a lot now.

I don’t think they should dwell on the Doctor’s resemblance to other past characters, but it would be nice if his new accent was attributed to Amy.

5. Stephen says:

Doctor number 11 is in fact in his 13th and final life, so he can’t regenerate again, until the time lords grant him a new regeneration cycle. So lets say if you then count the War Doctor (John Hurt) and the 10th Doctor (David Tennant) has regenerated twice in “The Stollen Earth” and “The End of Time part 2″ So if 11 really has used up all of his regenerations, then how come he allready regenerated once before when River kills him while he was regenerating in “The Impossable Astronaut?” Surely Steven Moffat hasn’t forgotten about that has he? I think Steven M has messed up big time!!

• That wasn’t the Doctor. That was the Tessalector shape-shifting robot with the Doctor inside.

• Doug says:

The Doctor did have some regeneration energy to share with River, though, in “The Angels Take Manhattan”. Perhaps not enough to regenerate, but he did have some. River was mad at him for wasting that energy too.

• DonnaM says:

Maybe that’s when he realised how little he had left? Or he knew it wouldn’t be wasted because he didn’t have enough left for a further full regeneration?

Of course it’s equally possible Mr Moffat hadn’t plotted out this far ahead: but the great thing about Doctor Who is how many ways there are to work your way around what might – possibly – be a plot anomaly!

• Al says:

You must have missed Let’s Kill Hitler which was the set-up for that scene.

• Doug says:

I didn’t miss that scene. River and the Doctor have exchanged regeneration energy a bit. I guess that’s what one thing that keeps it a family show. ;-) Donna may be correct with either possibility too.

6. Christine says:

Hello guys! I’m a little late as I was spending some time in Italy and missed it. But I’ve seen the special now and actually loved it. I got answers, an unexpected kind of regeneration, and a Clara who actally turns out to be a real character (with a lovely gran). And Matt was just superb, even with the perhaps not so good make up. But the bald Doctor? Who ever made that one up? The Moff of course but still…fabulous. I have been watching the regeneration for at least 10 times. Thanks everybody!

• Al says:

The bald stuff was due to Smith having in real life shaved his head for a movie, requiring him to be wigged here. It was a meta joke.