Published on December 8th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Capaldi Admits He Is “Too Young” To Play The Doctor

Well, let’s face it – he’s right, isn’t he? Watch the clip above as incoming Doctor Who star (we CANNOT wait) Peter Capaldi reveals that along with being a fan of all of his predecessors (remember kids, he’s one of us, moreso than Tennant) he’s given it quite a bit of thought and that at 55 he’s far too young to play a near-immortal Time Lord.

Can’t wait to see the CapaldiDoc? Well, you can expect to get a glimpse of him in The Time of the Doctor on Christmas Day, 7.30pm on BBC One and 8/9c on BBC America!

Tags: , , ,

19 Responses to Capaldi Admits He Is “Too Young” To Play The Doctor

1. avatar TimeChaser says:

I love his attitude to the part. He will be superb.

2. avatar Ian says:

I am looking forward to seeing him in the role. Just wish I was more confident of him getting good material.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Every ear of Doctor Who is going to have varied quality in the writing. Its not just a Moffet thing. Try to lighten up.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

*Era, I meant. (That’s a hard word to get right when you’re typing fast)

• avatar Philip Bates says:

I’m very confident in his material, seen as, since Series 5, there have been a grand total of two episodes I didn’t particularly like (but would still, and have still, watched again).

I think it’ll be another fantastic ear – - uhm, era, sorry. ;P

3. avatar Geoff says:

Come on Ian, granted its often a load of nonsense but don’t let the memory cheat: I watches Terror of the Zygons last night (I know how to rock a Saturday night) and the plot is quite frankly ridiculous. But brilliant, atmospheric, funny, creepy and macabre ridiculousness but ridiculous all the same. Iny opinion not much has changed and that’s what sets Doctor Who apart from everything else.

4. avatar neu 75 says:

He’s probably overdosed on some US series box set and got it into his head that all dramas should be like them…

5. avatar Jamie-42 says:

Why are some people obsessed about the writing. The show is about a man who can change bodies and travels in a time machine that looks like a police box. Perhaps we should lighten up a little?!
    Personally, there are very few stories that I have not liked (NuWho or Original). Maybe I am just easily pleased!

• avatar Philip Bates says:

Very nice to see a positive comment on here. I too have very few issues with the vast majority of stories. :)

6. avatar Simon Magellan says:

To get back to the point… Watching that clip, don’t you think Capaldi looks really really happy to be the Doctor? – like a kid let loose in a sweetshop!

7. avatar Ranger says:

It’s such a shame that he’s having to talk about his age all the time, it’s hardly the all-emcompassing welcome he should be getting.

8. avatar DonnaM says:

Capaldi 1, Carpers 0!

I have no doubt he’s going to be a sensational Doctor. For what it’s worth, my nieces, aged 7 and 13, didn’t query his age at all. Their 15 year old brother did, briefly, then borrowed The Thick Of It series 4 (which has a 15 rating, I hasten to add!!) from me.

He is now thoroughly convinced the man’s going to be brilliant.

9. avatar cruz says:

Whovians are you ready to hear the doctor tell the daleks [censored by editor]

• Keep it clean, please, or post elsewhere.

10. hell yes.

first thing out of his mouth ought to be something like this:

CapaldiDoc: McGuffins? I eat McGuffins for breakfast, you hoity toity metal grinned shoelace eating catastrophe of a plot device! I will spew bile sandwiches all over your aluminum knickers and pee Christmas in your socks, you fat, shiny, obnoxious pepper potted plant for brains excuse for a cheap rubbish bin. Fookety Bye!
    or mother of pearl, if you prefer.

my GOD man, do you realize the WIN we shall experience on Xmaas? MY GOD MAN.

CAPAAALDDIIIIIIIII

11. avatar Ranger says:

Um, Cruz, not sure we want that kind of language on a forum where kids might be looking (I know my kids sometimes use it).We know Capaldi appeared in a programme with swearing in it, but it doesn’t need to be replicated here. Sorry if I come across as a prude, but…

12. avatar TonyS says:

I am kind of assuming that he will play the Doctor nothing like he played Malcolm Tucker. It would be like casting Benedict Cumberbatch and hoping for the same performance he gives as Sherlock…

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

Alan Davies once pointed out that DW fans who wanted him as the Doc did so because they assumed he’d play it like Jonathan Creek – but as he wouldn’t do that, they’d then be annoyed because he didn’t fit their expectations. Those fans who recently campaigned for Cumberbatch seemed to think he should play it like Holmes – but why would an actor want to play too different roles in exactly the same way?

13. avatar DonnaM says:

Amusing as it was – briefly – to imagine the Doctor coming up with an innovative suggestion for relocating the Dalek eyestalk, the shows, the characters, and therefore you’d have to assume the performances will be totally different. Capaldi’s a fantastic actor. He’ll do the Doctor as much justice as he did Malcolm Tucker.

On a related point; isn’t it refreshing to have an actor escaping the whole “typecasting” nonsense by joining the show instead of having to worry about it?