Doctor Who News dw50revenemyoftheworld2

Published on October 11th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Missing Episodes Poll: DVD, iTunes or Both?

So, nine missing Doctor Who episodes are now no longer missing. The magic figure of 106 is now 97. The only thing left to discuss is how will you be watching?

Fans around the world have already viewed the rediscovered episodes from The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear; others plan to watch later tonight. But what about you? Have you headed to iTunes where Doctor Who is storming the charts? Or are you waiting for the DVD release?

Could you even be one of those fans that thinks that these episodes should be available free via BBC iPlayer, given the lack of extras?

You should know what to do: select an option in our poll!

Once you’ve done that, let’s talk in the comments section: DVD, iTunes, both or should the episodes be free?

Tags: , , , ,

47 Responses to Missing Episodes Poll: DVD, iTunes or Both?

1. rickjlundeen says:

Yeah, I always prefer watching the DVD’s, fully restored. Unfortunately, I’m not even sure when the DVD’s will hit the states. I hope it’s more like two months instead of eight. :(

2. Christine says:

I’ve allready pre-ordered the Dvd’s. The first one (the enemy of the World) will be coming out in November. I can wait, and I can also wait until February for the next one. But, honestly, whether the Dvd’s contain extra’s or not, I just love Doctor Who on my tv, not on a tablet, lab top or other computer-device. It will be the DVD for me!

• derekbd says:

Most tellys these days have inputs to allow laptops, tablets and other devices to be connected. The Web of fear looks lovely on my 35″ LCD.

• Stellaflora says:

But only if you have a TV that’s only a few years old. Whilst I have a flat screen with Freeview, it still pre-dates HDTV’s that have the PC compatible inputs. :p

That said, I still bought Web of Fear on iTunes even if I do have to watch it on my PC (I did research DVD burning alternatives, but they all cost, and are in any case legally dubious.)

3. I’m anxious to watch these episodes, but I won’t be paying for them on Itunes. It’s too bad they can’t be made available for free. Feels too much like trying to gouge the true fans. Being free may have even enticed a few who are not interested in the classic series to at least check it out.

• Stellaflora says:

Especially as the UK download is nearly twice the price of the US one.

4. TonyS says:

Me too and for pretty much the same reasons. Well that and I don’t have an itunes account.

5. koloth says:

I voted for both for one reason. I hope the funds generated will go to the restoration team for their continuing work. I havent downloaded the copies from itunes but I have ordered my hard copies.

6. derekbd says:

If they were only posted to iplayer they would be unavailable to the many fans around the world outside the UK (the ones who haven’t figured out how to circumvent the region lock, that is.)
    similar to koloth, I like to think that they money made will encourage BBC to continue the restoration and discovery of new episodes.
    When Crusade pt1, Master Plan pt2, Galaxy 4 pt 3, etc were found it was painful waiting until who-knew-when to see them.

7. Colin says:

I must say, I’m a little bit miffed that there’s been no mention of whether the discs will even be available anywhere other than the UK (and they blame Americans for being insular! ;) ). I understand the UK is the primary audience, but there was not even a note to say that the DVDs will be available to other regions at some point. Did I just miss that part of the announcement? Maybe I can assume that, but it would be nice if other markets were at least acknowledged, even if we get the discs a little later than the UK (which would make no sense since they’ve been able to deliver Region 1 almost concurrently with Region 2 these days).

Just my 2-cents from an ex-pat Brit. :)

• rickjlundeen says:

I’m with ya. I’m guessing they’re going to let the iTunes sales and downloads play out for a while before even scheduling a DVD release for the US. We might not even get the chance to preorder them for a few months.

8. TimeChaser says:

I would prefer having them on DVD, but I might cave in and get the iTunes ones for now. But I do hope there isn’t much of a delay between the UK DVDs and a release in the US. There are fans here to ya know!

9. Jamilton says:

Is it just me or is there no getting ANYTHING Doctor Who without someone complaining about the fact that they aren’t getting it the way they want it?

10. Colin says:

To the question–definitely DVD. Not because making them available on iTunes isn’t a good idea (especially since you can get them on iTunes in the US! ;) ), but 1) they will be VidFIREd and possibly have commentaries and extras on the DVDs; 2) I want them on my shelf with the rest of the DVD collection; and 3) I can’t afford to do both iTunes AND DVD, so I’ll be patient and wait for the DVD release. After 40-odd years, what’s another few months? :)

11. FrancoPabloDiablo says:

If you are not a slave to iTunes then you are penalized apparently! I for one will not give Apple a single penny to view these episodes. So I will have to wait for the DVD releases. Thanks BBC, what a way to reward the long-term fans who don’t conform to Apple or other such things but have stuck with the show through thick and thin and have already spend hundreds and thousands of pounds on the series! Twats!

• derekbd says:

I am not a “slave to itunes’. What a strange thing to say. I am not a fan of apple and have avoided itunes for 10 years or so. But I now have an account and it is definitely worth it. The folks you called twats have no obligation to you or anyone. They could have easily dismissed the clamour of fans they knew would want to see the episodes asap.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Did you set up your account purely for these episodes? Just wondering! At the moment, it is either iTunes or not at all (for the time being). How is that fair to those of us who don’t want and won’t have an iTunes account? Is that seriously the only way the BBC could think of to distribute the newly discovered episodes? And if you don’t believe the BBC has an obligation to the TV license payers then you are delusional. Fair enough, make money from this (I will be buying the DVDs as soon as they are released), but don’t limit it to only Apple users! And why should non-apple users have to wait longer? Oh, and the heads of BBC are twats.

• FrancoPabloDiablo I’d appreciate it if you could keep the language more… family friendly :)

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Apologies Christian. Am just so annoyed that I and many others won’t get to witness these recoveries until (from what I’ve read) November 22nd and early January when the are respectively released on DVD.

• Victor says:

Oh gosh, really? They got these shows back, cleaned ‘em up, and everyone is going to be able to get them, whether they download or wait a few scant months for the DVD copies. This is all a good, good thing. Celebrate rather than complain.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I am guessing you may have an iTunes account. Nobody here is complaining about the returned episodes being found. What some of us find slightly annoying is the fact that if we refuse to sign up to iTunes then we HAVE to wait for the DVD releases. No other option. This rumor has been a long time coming so, when they are eventually officially announced, why should some of us HAVE to wait longer that the iTunes zombies?

12. Keith Andrews says:

The BBC don’t owe fans a single thing! They are a television company making main steam programmes for millions to watch. That they have made the episodes available at short notice to download should be applauded. And the DVDs will look lovely on my shelf in a couple if month’s time.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

We TV license payers fund the BBC so YES we are OWED more than this stupid iTunes-only scenario! It has not been short notice, the episodes were recovered about a year ago. And again, if you don’t have an iTunes account then you get to see nothing of the returned episodes until later when they are released on DVD!

• derekbd says:

I really (truly) am not arguing with you. You are convinced of your viewpoint and nothing will change it, I reckon.
        I was considering this idea that license payers should be able to see the eps for free. (It’s an intellectual exercise for me particularly as I have never been a UK resident.) How is the fact that these eps are recently returned make them different from all the other episodes and programmes BBC have aired once and have never again?

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Peace (we all truly love the show). I don’t mind at all paying to view the returned episodes, in fact I am happy to, but It’s just that I (and many many others) don’t have an Apple/iTunes account. What do we do? I guess we just have to wait for the DVDs!

• krumstets says:

Short notice ? Really ?
      This has been timed to coincide with the anniversary . And these episodes have already been paid for by the license payer.
      The BBC know they don’t owe the fans a thing ,
      That’s why they are quite happy to extract as much money from the fans as they possibly can.
      They may look lovely on your shelf …and then what?

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I did say NOT short notice you realise? Plus, heaven forbid they take the time to restore them to their former glory after discovery. As I wasn’t born in 1867/68 I naturally didn’t paid a TV license then, so I therefor haven’t paid for these episodes. Did you? And of course the timing was scheduled to coincide with the anniversary. The revelation was probably even brought forward because of all the attention the rumour mill had built up over the previous months.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

:) that should obviously be 1967/68, though to be fair, I wasn’t born in 1867/68 either :)

13. Hoosier Whovian says:

DVDs for me. I do have all the audios in DVD cases so the spaces on my shelf are reserved for the hoped for return to our screens. I am just so “SQUEEEEED” that my #1 choice of story (Web) got returned even if it is missing an episode.

14. Victor says:

Well I’ll be getting these on DVD for sure, and I’d imagine there’s a good chance I’ll download first. I just really want to see The Web Of Fear and it’s right there, waiting!

15. Lozzer says:

DVD all the way – a bottle (erm glass…) of wine, turn the lights down low and chill my boots with my favouite show. It’s funny how the BBC are milking this when it’s their fault they got lost them in the first place. Personally I hope they animate the missing WOF episode for the DVD.

16. Matthew Kresal says:

docotrwhodvdfaq.com is reporting “North American releases will presumably follow, but due to the secrecy that surrounded this recovery, BBC Worldwide Americas was not informed in advance of the finds and as yet do not have the assets necessary to start the manufacturing process for North America. This process normally takes about 3-4 months at minimum, so North American release of these titles on DVD will probably have to wait until the spring of 2014.” In that case I don’t mind double-dipping, especially at the download price.

I think that putting them on iTunes got them out there where people could view them and avoided the situation like what’s happened with Underwater Menace Episode 2 where, close to two years later, it still hasn’t had an official release.

17. Paul May says:

This is a unique situation. I am happy to support this stuff with $$ and do both. i-tunes for immediate viewing and DVD with extras for my own film collection. But get on with the blu-ray season releases of classic Who please. The sales figures of Web and Enemy should hopefully spark more announcements.

18. johnnybear says:

These episodes should be free! We, the public pay a license which we’re forced to by the tyrants who call themselves our government so we’ve already paid to watch them! The BBC destroyed these gems so why should we pay to re-watch them again after they did that?
    Another case of the BBC sucking us dry of every penny!

• rob says:

The licence fee payed for the episodes to be produced and broadcast ONCE. The recovery, restoration and manufacturing if the DVDs is payed for by the buying public NOT the licence fee payers. The BBC weren’t the only broadcasters to wipe or destroy tapes of programmes they had no reason to believe would ever be seen more than once. It’s easy to look back and criticise the short sightedness of the practice but back then TV was ultimately seen as disposable. See once and that was it, they had no idea that anyone would be interested in seeing any of this stuff ever again. Yes they wrong, very wrong but accusing them of “sucking us dry of every penny” Just makes you sound like a spoilt child who expects everything to be handed over to you for free.

19. rob says:

To those moaning about iTunes I can only say this: When Galaxy 4: Airlock and Underwater Menace Episode 2 were recovered people moaned they had to wait to see the episodes. This time BBC WorldWide, a commercial arm don’t forget, make these episodes available immediately…And people are STILL moaning. I have no interest in buying them from iTunes and am more than happy to wait for the DVD releases. To all those with accounts who have bought the downloads I say good on you. Nobody is being forced to buy them one way or another.

20. krumstets says:

The BBC have shown their true colours .They found these tapes and saw treasure .
    Nothing to do with our cultural heritage but more as a money making exercise.

I refuse to pay for this on Itunes or DVD .

The BBC milk Dr Who fans for all they are worth and although I would really like to see these stories I will not pay for them on principal.

With the 50th anniversary approaching they have seized on this moment to capitalise on our collective excitement and s**ew us for a few more quid / Dollars / Euros .

No, no, no .

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Seriously? I agree with you totally about iTunes, but you’re not even going to buy the DVDs? I assume you haven’t purchased any of the earlier Doctor Who DVDs either, otherwise your comment would seem a little.. well, hypocritical surely. Also, we don’t know what price was paid for the safe return of these episodes, so it is understandable for the BBC to want to recoup that money (though surely that will be more than adequately provided through future DVD sales). The main point of contention among some fans is their decision to release the episodes exclusively on iTunes with no other alternative. I hope you reconsider not buying these stories when they are released on DVD as you must be as desperate as the rest of us to see them.

• krumstets says:

You assume something about me and then from that assumption call me a hypocrite.

Facts dear boy , facts .

I have bought many Dr Who VHS and DVD’s over the years , books too.

But on this occasion I feel that this is an extremely cynical marketing ploy by the BBC . Publicising the find , generating lots of publicity and then flogging it .
        Sure the BBC needs to make money , but Dr Who is already one of their biggest earners.
        This could have been broadcast on TV and then sold on DVD with extras.

I’m assuming Franco you have a replica sonic screwdriver under your pillow and still live at home with your mum…

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Eh? I still don’t understand what you perceive to be the difference between these DVDs (when they are eventually released) and previous ones ? Forgetting the iTunes thing for a moment, you openly stated that you were not going to purchase these on DVD, that is what I don’t get. I, like you, refuse to purchase them on iTunes, bit I will definitely be buying the DVDs when they arrive. The iTunes scenario I agree is dubious, but in what manner will the releases of these DVDs be any more ‘cynical’ than all the others? And why should they be broadcast on TV? The BBC is under no obligation to do so. They never televised Tomb when it was recovered in the early 1990s or any of the later returned orphan episodes. Did you spit out your dummy on these occasions too?

Also, I personally don’t own a replica sonic screwdriver. Although I did purchase one for my young daughter (and fellow Who fan) who I live with in harmony along with my wife. There was nothing under my pillow last time I looked. My Mother lives happily at her residence with my father. Thanks for showing an interest in my personal life though. Maybe you could enlighten me as to what I said in my posts to lead you to your assumptions?

P.S. last time I mentioned ‘your mum’ as a jibe or insult to belittle somebody, I was at school. Thankfully I outgrew that many years ago.

• krumstets says:

I was making a point about assumptions – you were quite happy to assume something about me and then follow that thread – I was merely holding up a mirror to illustrate the ridiculousness of that.

(And it seems I did it quite well)

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Your intended point didn’t really come across very well I’m afraid. My assumption was based purely on what you said in your post – it was not a cheap and unfounded personal attack on you or ‘your mum’. (go back and read your posts if you need a refresher). you said you won’t buy these DVDs, yet you have purchased the others in the past. What’s the difference? That is where my ‘hypocritical’ remark came from. I have read many posts from you in the past and a lot of the time agree with what you have to say and enjoy your input and opinion. I look forward to your future posts, which hopefully will be more focused and coherent than the ones on this thread. Peace and respect!

21. Geoff says:

It doesn’t really bother me that they’ve come out on iTunes first, I suppose it’s a bit quicker to release things in virtual format than on DVD. I guess that’s the reason why they are out on there now. I read Christians other article about online platforms other than iTunes and do find it strange they haven’t realised it on those as well but Apple is so ubiquitous these days it’s hardly surprising that’s the route they’ve gone down. What I do find a bit rich is that UK customers are being charged more than others. A bit shoddy in my view. As for how I’ll watch. I’ll probably go DVD. I like having the boxes and an actual product I can hold but that said when I get a new TV who knows? I used to say the same about music but I haven’t bought a hard copy of anything for years now.

22. Richie says:

I really don’t like the way that Apple do business but have felt compelled to open an iTunes account for Web of Fear. I think I can wait til November for Enemy of the World but can’ t wait til February for a story I’ve always wanted to see.
    If the DVDs couldn’t have been released earlier, I wish they could have been made available on a variety of platforms including Google Play, Amazon, Sky Box Office etc. Of course, this wouldn’t have had the impact of being top of the iTunes charts

23. rob says:

Maybe Apple provided the better deal for the BBC for whatever reason. As this is a first it’s clearly an experiment so who knows hopefully they’ll broaden out onto other providers. As for “They should broadcast them (so I can just record them off the tv)!” What a fatuous and selfish argument. The only regular broadcasts of Classic Who we’ve had were on UK gold in the 1990s. were all you lot moaning about iTunes crying about not having a subscription satellite channel to watch a show you all GOD DAMN PAYED YOUR LICENSE FEE FOR SO SHOULD HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT ON TAP FOR FREE FOR EVER!!!!

24. Andrew says:

Both! I’m more than happy to contribute to the cost of finding and restoring these episodes. Can’t believe anybody is whining about it. Why don’t THEY get over to Africa, bankroll a search, and negotiate a return, on our behalf?

25. Michael says:

I’m doing both. It’s nice to see the Beeb is at least attempting to get them to fans quickly this time around as opposed to the Underwater Menace, Part 2 which still hasn’t seen an official release yet.