Doctor Who News The Rings of Akhaten 7

Published on August 27th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

The Sixth Doctor on Akhaten!

Here’s a lunchtime treat for you, dear Kasterborites – the Sixth Doctor, Colin Baker, doing a brilliant reading of the key “sacrificial” scene from Series 7′s The Rings of Akhaten!

If you were lucky enough to attend FanExpo Canada in Toronto on August 24th 2013, you would have seen this. If not, click play!

(Script reading starts at 41 seconds.)

This is the latest of a series of readings by Doctor Who actors of their predecessor or successor’s scripts. Another example is Sylvester McCoy reading from The Pandorica Opens

Tags: , , , ,

21 Responses to The Sixth Doctor on Akhaten!

1. TonyS says:

I mean no disrespect to Colin Baker and he did it very well. But this is essentially “reading out loud”.

• Colleen says:

It’s a cold reading. Actors do it in auditions, for example. Rather good for being handed a piece of script during his Q&A.

• Al says:

That’s the thing – I assume neither this nor McCoy’s Pandorica reading were arranged in advance. I think Big Finish should look into getting the OK to release a CD of these. Imagine Tom Baker delivering Eccleston’s “I made it happen!” rant from “Dalek” or Peter Davison (or any of them) reading Tennant’s heartbreaking discussion about regeneration from End of Time. Obviously things like royalties would be an issue, but it would be cool.

• yeah, and also, a good actor will not upstage another actor, so we have that to consider as well. But i think THE BAKER TOM would have KILLED. KILLED. MAIMED and MURDERED. Because he is Odin, whose steed is Bela the Horse. McCoy and Baker C. were, I like to think, simply dialing down their reading of the scripts so that they would not upstage Smithy, which is something i have always heard their kind of actor does. Commendable conscious effort on their part solidifying the true scope of their talent, if so;) i would DIE to see Tom Baker do one of these.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Rather good? I’d say BLOODY BRILLIANT for them having no prior knowledge or rehearsals! I’ve just watched both these clips on YouTube and am actually quite annoyed by the interviewer’s remarks towards McCoy about criticism about his Doctor and tenure! McCoy reacted with dignity, humour and aplomb!

• Patrick Troughton used to call stage acting “shouting in the evenings”…

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

What the hell else were you expecting? He was on stage, given a piece of paper with some script on it and asked to read it out loud!

2. TonyS says:

Yes I realise that. It’s not rocket science though, is it?

3. TonyS says:

Actually I am more impressed with this than with Sylvester McCoy’s reading of the Pandorica speech.

4. TimeChaser says:

Once again, like with the McCoy reading from “The Pandorica Opens”, proof that the Doctor is still one person despite his many faces, because Colin was pretty spot-on with this. With just a bit of editing, I could easily imagine Old Sixy giving this speech. It suits his Doctor, because he loved to talk and confront the villains with eloquence and passion.

• Alex says:

A bit of editing like this, perhaps? (Not my best work, but I tried. :P )

5. Bob James says:

Awesome on Colin. I loved McCoy’s Pandorica speech as well. McGann’s reading of the First Doctor’s farewell to Susan was great as well. When the respective actor “gets” the character it really does become clear that it’s the same Doctor, albeit with different faces and in different guises. The character is clearly bigger than any one actor who has portrayed him.

6. Francis cave says:

That was actually quite wonderful ….

7. Mugen Pharoah says:

Colin does a great job here but this is a reminder of a Godawful episode I haven’t had the stomach to rewatch.

Series 7b was patchier than Sixie’s coat…….

• TimeChaser says:

Why not just say Colin did a great job and leave it at that without the extraneous bile?

• Mugen Pharoah says:

Oh sorry I thought I was entitled to my opinion.

If you like Rings of Akhaten good for you. I think it’s one of the weakest episodes ever and my comment about the quality of that episode from an uneven season is entirely relevant.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I may not agree with what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to speak it!

• Mugen Pharoah says:

Good on you sir! And I will return the favour!

• hear, hear!

8. I was experimenting with rotoscoping and put the Sixth Doctor and Peri Brown, in images, to Akhaten for the real feel! (it’s not perfect, but it does the job!)

• Bob James says: