Doctor Who News Peter Capaldi IS the Twelfth Doctor Who!

Published on August 4th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Peter Capaldi IS the Twelfth Doctor!

So there you have it – after months of speculation, 55 year old Peter Capaldi has been finally confirmed as the twelfth star of Doctor Who!

Peter Capaldi is the Twelfth Doctor Who

While Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor was a typical BBC light entertainment love in with pointlessly selected “celebrity” guests and lacking substance while we awaited the main event, the audience reaction was of course exactly what you would expect.

Capaldi saw off strong competition from latecomers such as Sam Troughton and Aneurin Barnard to become the very first actor descended from a previous Doctor/the very first black Doctor/ the very first female Doctor, defying expectations.

Some quotes have been released by the official Doctor Who website. Says the new Doctor:

Being asked to play The Doctor is an amazing privilege. Like the Doctor himself I find myself in a state of utter terror and delight. I can’t wait to get started.

Meanwhile, Steven Moffatsays:

It’s an incendiary combination: one of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television. Peter Capaldi is in the TARDIS!

There’s very little else to say at this stage, other than admire the photo above. You can catch the end of the live podKast until 8pm, at which point the show will be available via iTunes, RSS, Stitcher and Audioboo as usual.

A brave new dawn for Doctor Who beckons – it’s going to be interesting!

Tags: , ,

54 Responses to Peter Capaldi IS the Twelfth Doctor!

1. Bob James says:

An incredible, completely appropriate and wise choice! I didn’t think for a moment amongst the speculation that it would be him. It’s going to be exciting and interesting to see where he takes the Doctor, and I can barely wait to see what’s ahead. There is no truth to the rumor that Peter will be portraying the Doctor in drag though. Can’t quite see that working!

• David F says:

He did play a transvestite in Prime Suspect, opposite Helen Mirren. So she’s already achieved her desire to see a female Doctor.

2. FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Thank God it’s not a woman! Wishing you all the best Peter! I have every faith that you will do the show and it’s fans proud!

3. Ranger says:

Excellent – what I wanted, an older doctor with good acting credentials. I look forward to seeing his version of the Doctor.

Interesting what Moffat said about not auditioning lots of actors this time. I wonder how long they’ve known.

4. Hoosier Whovian says:

Enjoyed him in Local Hero and always thought he was destined for great things, but I didn’t imagine them to be this great! BTW, Roger Murray-Leach was the production designer for Local Hero as well.

5. TimeChaser says:

I do feel vindicated. I had thought all along that this time Moffat would know who he wanted and go for that one actor.

I’m surprised that the late betting was, for once, accurate. I was as iffy about Capaldi as any names usually mentioned, but then seeing him on that stage I felt, “Yeah, I think this will be good.” And I can’t stop staring at that picture…

6. Lewis Seymour says:

7. Jon Roberts says:

Great choice, really happy about it. Bring on series 8

8. Jynx says:

John Frobisher IS the new Doctor.

• Van Turner says:

I was wondering if that shape-shifting penguin would make a return. Yeah, I know, that’s just Frobisher.

9. Wow! This is a really great choice and will be a secure first foot into the next fifty years of the greatest show in the galaxy.

10. GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

Very happy! He’s older, has Who experience, and has been a fan since childhood. Capaldi is the second Doctor actor to be named “Peter”, the second to have been in Who before being cast as the Doctor (Colin Baker was first), about the same age as William Hartnell when he was cast, and the third Scottish actor to play the Doctor.

For those who are complaining to him on being “too old”, why is being 55 a bad thing? The Doctor in the classic series was played by actors who were 40 or older most of the time. The Doctor should be loved for the character, not age or looks.

11. bonobobananas says:

Yes indeed, very happy :)

Sorry to Chris as I’ve already tweeted this but:
    The new Doctor on Skaro: “This is the f***ing Shawshank redemption, except with more tunnelling through sh*t and no f***ing redemption.”

Malcolm Tucker IS the Doctor :D

12. Mugen Pharoah says:

An excellent choice I wish Mr. Capaldi all the best in the role.

Now I have to wait to see his costume! Bah!

13. Nick Kitchen says:

An interesting the choice to say the least!

14. Guy Grist says:

I am very happy with the choice, good luck. Program was a bit rubbish but never mind.

15. TonyS says:

Oh thank goodness for that. An excellent choice.

16. Geoff says:

Like everyone above I think he is an excellent choice. I’m very glad to see an older Doctor too but come on, 55 is hardly past it in this day and age. I’m very excited and amazed that such a famous and talented actor has been secured for the longterm in our show. I thought Matt Smith seemed a bit down as he discussed it which is understandable. It saddened me to hear him talk about the backlash when he took over. I never knew he was so aware of it and he seemed a bit upset when he talked about it. I remember that only too well, it was cruel and utter bullshit because he is incredible as it turns out. i judt think its sad that he had to go through that just as he was begining and i hope the knives don’t come out for Peter in the same way. Daniel Craig had it when he was cast as Bond as well because he didn’t have black hair and apparently his ears are too big! I really don’t know what’s wrong with the press in this country.

• Spider-pope says:

The backlash has been an unfortunate part of Doctor Who since the first regeneration. The Radio Times published some fan letters from that period that said the same nonsense about Troughton.

You would think it’d be done with by now. We’ve had 11 Doctors cast so far, each of them has been brilliant in their own way. I trust the decision to cast Capaldi as the 12th.

• TonyS says:

It brought home to me that the stars and Production Team read these comments that we make and are affected by them. I would hate to cause anyone distress by a careless comment and would hope that we can make our point but do it with some kindness and restraint.

• Spider-pope says:

I’ve always tried to maintain the policy of “criticize the work, not the worker”. I don’t always manage to live up to it, but i think it’s the best way to do things.

17. Stephen McCracken says:

Yes, but wouldn’t it be great to let the character to come out in a subtle way rather than just have a clown costume. This show is now on a world stage and needs to be seen as a world class act. If someone of Peter’s class has been selected then lets not do him a dis-service by giving him a frilly shirt and a checked cloak. William Hartnell did not seek attention, but could command it when it suited his purpose. Colin Baker was a great Doctor, Who gave some very special moments to the show, however he has to make his entrance looking like a pantomime horse. Let’s have class not gimmicks, this show has taken it’s rightful place next to Bond and Sherlock Homes and attracts the same interest from the viewing audience.

18. Geoff says:

Anyway I didn’t mean to be so negative. What I want to say is:Mr Capaldi, you are The Doctor sir! And I couldn’t be more excited.

19. Neu 75 says:

An inspired choice. Can’t imagine him being in the TARDIS too long though…

• Lozzer says:

That’s my worry. Very pleased he got the job though.

• Lewis Seymour says:

I was going to comment on this, but frankly I am so annoyed at this kind of negativity just minutes after the announcement of a potentially great new Doctor, that I think it best if I bite my tongue for fear of saying something I will regret.

• Lozzer says:

I made a very similar comment before he was announced – I couldn’t be more pleased about the choice, he’s as perfect an actor as I could have hoped for. PS – I find it very hard to imagine you will bite your tongue for long as most of the comments on this site are from you.

• Neu 75 says:

What was negative about it? I said he was an inspired choice. The comment about the length of tenure is based sheer realism. He’s 55…

• TonyS says:

Same age as William Hartnell when he started. Hatrnell was there three years (ish).

• Lewis Seymour says:

And only left unwillingly due to his illness.

My problem with these “Can’t imagine him being in the TARDIS too long though…” type of comments (and others have made them as well) is that here we have a brilliant, talented actor announced, but the first thing people can think of is to complain he won’t be around long – before he was even announced we had, “well at his age he’ll only do one year” or “he’s too well known to want to commit”.

And the same comments, or variations of them, would have applied if it had been Daniel Rigby or Sam Troughton, I have no doubt.

Just celebrate the news please and remember – “sufficient unto the day the evils thereof” – in other words, don’t spend your time endlessly worrying about things yet to happen which may never happen.

• TonyS says:

I predicted yesterday that these sort of comments would start today.

20. Spider-pope says:

This is going to work.

21. drvwho says:

actors like peter don’t seem to last that long in these roles dr who is a long standing sifi series and just think how many actors and actressess have used this as a launch pod for furthering their careers
    please can we have a doctor who will hang around for awhile longer

i have nothing against peter he is good from what i have seen him in but doctor who really he is mor of a master figure

• Spider-pope says:

Given his status as a massive fan of the show himself, i think Peter might stick around longer than we expect.
      As for whether he’s suited for the Doctor, well his past work has shown he has a massive range. He’ll certainly be different from Matt, but he’s still going to make one heck of a Doctor.

• He has an Oscar. Furthering his career?!

• Lewis Seymour says:

Quite.

Christ, do we have to start on the negativity already?

22. Geoff says:

My thoughts are that A. Steven Moffat wouldn’t cast someone who won’t commit to any more than a year or two and B. Peter Capaldi has done other parts for a few years at a time. I don’t think at 55 he’s worried about being typecast, he’s got enough of a body of work behind him for it not to matter. BTW if you’re still unsure of his genius checkout Cricklewood Greats which he wrote and starred in. The funniest part being the “thumbs up” film series, a spoof of Carry On, so you get the 70s camp sci fi film “Thumbs up Uranus” amongst others.

23. Lozzer says:

I’m genuinely pleased, a great, great choice. He’s the kind of actor we would have picked when the shown was re- lauanched back in 2005 had we had a choice. Hope he’s here for a while.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Well, we did get Chris Ecclestone, who was hardly a lightweight actor.

24. Gareth says:

An excellent choice very very pleased. I can relax now as some of the names floating around have been ridiculous.

I hope Steve Moffat will do this Doctor justice as the Matt Smith era was incoherent.

25. rickjlundeen says:

For those who think Capaldi won’t be around long….. Think about it. Capaldi has had a long and varied career as a character actor. But as far as a leading man, this is as good as it gets. He has no worries about being typecast like the last three and is a lifelong Doctor Who fan. I’m guessing that this isn’t merely a stepping stone for him. The possibilities here are truly endless.

26. David F says:

I loved his little Hartnell impersonation when he was revealed. The little clutch of his lapels and the twiddle of his thumbs. It really sealed the moment.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Didn’t notice that, will have to watch it again – indeed, very nice touch.

• bonobobananas says:

Yes very good spot. I didn’t watch the program live as I thought it was a bit cringeworthy but that is classy from the new man.

27. craigt68 says:

Can’t add much to what’s already been said: a fantastic choice! Perhaps in having an older Doctor we’ll have less of the ‘romance’ with the companion?

• Lewis Seymour says:

While I’d certainly welcome less romance in the Tardis, I’d query why him being older would necessarily mean that the companion couldn’t have feelings for him or vice versa? Love and sex don’t stop when you pass 35 you know!

• TonyS says:

maybe not so much with 20 something companions though

• David F says:

And we’ve had less romance with companions for the last three series anyway, haven’t we? (Except for The Name of the Doctor, I suppose, where his feelings for River were less ambiguous, but she was already dead so it didn’t really count.)

28. Geoff says:

I only noticed it the second time I watched, then he did a little giggle, like it was just such great fun for him being the Doctor for real which was quite sweet to see a fully grown man do! I cant believe after his articulate summary of what the show means to him that people are doubting him. Although to be fair it’s only the I WANT DAVID TENNANT TO COME BACK (and my life to be exactly as it was in 2006) brigade who are moaning. And they moan about everything.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Not just DT though – saw a post on another site yesterday that basically went “Matt smith is the greatest Dr ever and no one will ever be better so if he doesn’t say he’s staying tonight on the show I’ll never watch it again”.

Just a point, but given that changing the lead actor is the unique point about DW, why are so many fans always so reluctant when it happens?

29. Lozzer says:

You have a terrible habbit of jumping on peoples comments and assuming they mean something else – have you got nothing better to do… I was stating that before we knew who the 9th was going to be Peter Capaldi would have been an actor of the right calibre most people would have been happy with. And yes, Chris Eccleston is certainly not lightweight – I wish he’d stuck around for a bit longer.

• Lewis Seymour says:

So I am not allowed to comment in an open forum? OK. Bye.

• Lozzer, Lewis, please keep this civil and in the spirit of the show.

30. Lozzer says:

Not sure why my reply to the Lewis ended up detached from the conversation but hey ho.