Doctor Who News Neil Gaiman, fantasy writer extraordinaire

Published on August 20th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Neil Gaiman Wants to Write for Capaldi!

The Doctor’s Wife and Nightmare in Silver writer Neil Gaiman has revealed he is excited about the prospect of Peter Capaldi as the new star of Doctor Who.

Neil Gaiman looking forward to writing for Peter Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor Who

Speaking to Doctor Who Online, Gaiman revealed first and foremost that he would like to write another episode, and that although he may not have a contribution until Series 9, he hasn’t gone away.

Absolutely, I don’t want to be coy!

They would like to have me [and] I would like to do more. The only problem I’m having right now is the time that I probably would’ve spent writing a Doctor Who script this year suddenly got eaten by going on [a book] tour.

I would love to write an episode for season 8, it may well be that I’m over in season 9, but I promise I haven’t gone away.

Most crucially, however, is his enthusiasm for the new Doctor, something we at Kasterborous reckon is shared by many other show writers, past, present and future.

The idea of writing for Peter Capaldi’s Doctor is one that I find so thrilling and exciting.

Incidentally, you can catch Neil chatting to broadcaster Stuart Maconie on the Radcliffe and Maconie show on BBC Radio 6 Music on Friday from 1pm.

Head to Doctor Who Online’s YouTube page to watch the full interview, in which Gaiman is promoting his new book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Would you like to see Neil Gaiman back working on a new Doctor Who episode, or was Nightmare in Silver enough for you?

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Neil Gaiman Wants to Write for Capaldi!

1. FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Gaiman, we all want you to write for him too. But please learn lessons from your recent story. A little bit more Doctor’s Wife, a little less Nightmare In Silver!

2. CitizenOfFreedonia says:

I’d love him to write more episodes and I’m sure we all would! But I agree with my friend above -FrancoPabloDiablo- more Doctor’s Wife, less Nightmare In Silver!

3. vortexter says:

To be fair, I think he writes great who episodes but he gets interference. Nightmare in Silver was bogged down by re-writes. Leave him alone to write his own story for Capaldi and we will have a classic for sure.

P.S. A friend of mine went to see him on his tour on Sunday and he signed autographs for hours. Guy must have the patience of a saint!

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Signing autographs for hours is par of the course for someone of his caliber. And it’s to his credit that he does such. But it’s nothing special in itself. And you can’t say he writes great Who episodes when he has only two to his name. One highly regarded, the other not so much. that’s a 50% hit rate. Robert Holmes’ first stories for the show (The Krotons, The Space Pirates) are not well received (that’s a 100% miss rate), But his subsequent work is probably, to this day, among the best the show has ever seen and is why he is still so highly regarded. My point being that Holmes earned our respect from many, many years of excellent stories and experience writing for the show. Gaiman wants to, and we want him to, write more stories for the show but he needs to prove himself with his future scripts before we can regard him as a great writer for the show. If he doesn’t then, sadly, he will be remembered as a one-hit-wonder for The Doctor’s Wife. I believe will impress us in his future scripts though.

4. rickjlundeen says:

“Nightmare in Silver” seems like it should have been junked and replaced with something else. Gaiman had said that the only reason those kids were in there (those miserable little Adrics that I actually wished would have gotten assimilated), was that when he started writing the script, she was still a governess back in the Victorian era and obviously a lot had changed.

But also, the mandate was “make the Cybermen scary again” and that was also horribly done—whoever was responsible. They were supposed to be silent and spooky. ONE of them was very fast seemed a lot more dangerous than the old cybermen as he attacked the heroes but then they all got put together and started marching (clunking) around like the old days. And for some insipid reason, Clara thinks it’s all a big joke as she giggles through it all. absolutely hated that ep maybe even more than “rings”, which was just “blah”.. so, yeah, bring Gaiman back but let’s come up with a much better product this time, ok?

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I agree, i assume the kids were imposed upon him. If that is the case then he is relieved of some of the responsibility, but not all. The truth of the matter is that he had the chance to bring the Cybermen back to their (long gone) former glory. Let’s face facts, even to this day, they have not appeared so brilliantly since Earthshock. And there was no need for the Speedy-Gonzalez Cyberman sequence. They don’t need to move fast. Part of their appeal is that no matter how slow they may move, they will get you, eventually, because they do not tire and will not stop.

• The script itself isn’t bad, despite what must be Moffat imposed children straight out of Bad Drama School.

The problem is with the execution, and is down to the director, IMO.

Fear Her is another example – interesting script, plodding direction.

• rickjlundeen says:

I especially agree regarding the director. I don’t pay enough attention to which directors work on this episode or that but it does seem as if the current directorial pool is a bit lacking and yeah, that has a hurt a couple episodes, I feel. I really, really miss Euros Lynn. But on the script side, what with the girl telling adults to shut up or calling them stupid—it’s almost as if the intent was to make us hate the girl so much that she would get made into a Cyberman. She might learn manners!

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

My question is: where the hell is Graeme Harper??? Has Moffat got something against him? Is he simply busy with other projects? The show needs directors like him. He even managed to make 42 something resembling watchable!

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Fair enough the director didn’t do a particularly good job but you can’t blame him for Speedy-Gonzales Cyberman or Take-My-Head-Off Cyberman. Surely that was WRITTEN in the SCRIPT by GAIMAN. No matter what the director did with those terrible ideas he could not have salvaged them.

5. Tony Farrell says:

To be somewhat controversial, I really do hope that Mr Gaiman is NOT invited back to write for the show!
    In my view The Doctor’s Wife was rescued by the characterisation and performances of Matt Smith and Suranne Jones not by any quality or originality of the script (as for Gaiman’s later assertion that Timelords can change sex becoming ‘canon’ just because he wrote that line, well that’s nothing short of arrogance on his part).
    The latest Cyberman story was – frankly – dreadful, childish and very poorly thought through: Cybermen that can detach their heads? Cybermen that can upgrade to overcome any obstacle. Cybermen that can run so fast they become a blur one moment, then ‘stomping’ the next?
    Even the very talented Matt couldn’t rescue that one. Sorry, but that episode was £750,000 of wasted money.
    Please, Mr Moffat, don’t ask Mr Gaiman to write for the series again. .

• rickjlundeen says:

I agree that “Nightmare” was rubbish but the one thing I’d hold against The Doctor’s wife was the brevity. If any adventure that year deserved to be two parts, it was that one, the better for the human Tardis and the doctor to form an even fuller bond to make that last scene so much more intense. I felt it had such promise but was basically rushed. But I hold that against Moffat and the director in that case, not Gaiman. I’ve never even been a fan of Gaiman’s stuff in the past so I wasn’t that excited when I heard he was doing that first ep but I did like a lot about it.

6. TonyS says:

I know the mainstream opinion is that “The Doctor’s Wife” is brilliant and that “Nightmare In Silver” is a pair of foetid dingo’s kidneys, but I don’t agree. “The Doctor’s Wife” was the best episode up to that point in Season Six, which says more about how bad the rest of them were. It is sub-standard Dr Who and way sub-standard Neil Gaiman.

• TonyS says:

I agree about the rank and renal qualities of “Nightmare In Silver” though. On that basis I wouldn’t mind if he didn’t write for the series again.

7. Simon Magellan says:

This assumes that, after his embarrassing comments re the casting of the Doctor, which overshadowed Capaldi’s appointment, Steven Moffat will ask him back. I doubt the BBC were very happy at having to deal with queries regarding who may or may not have been offered the role at some unspecified time, and the revival of the black Doctor scenario yet again by the PC Brigade, only days after the hugely successful unveiling of the new Doctor.

Agree with comments above re his two stories. One brilliant. One crap. If he does do another one, it needs to be more of the former and less of the latter…