Doctor Who News Former Doctor Who star Billie Piper

Published on August 21st, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Billie Piper Cast in Penny Dreadful

Billie Piper has been cast in the new spookily horrifying Showtime series Penny Dreadful – from the warped minds that brought you the tall tale of terrifying terror, Skyfall

Former Doctor Who star Billie Piper

Billie Piper to star in Penny Dreadful. Although probably not dressed like this.

Rose Tyler herself takes a leading role in the show, joining Josh Hartnett (The Black Dahlia), Eva Green (Casino Royale, Womb) and Rory Kinnear (Black Mirror, Skyfall) her agent confirmed.

Penny Dreadful – named after the sensationalist 19th century serials whose lurid concoction was designed to satiate the growing literacy amongst the working classes – was created by three-time Oscar nominee John Logan (Hugo, The Aviator, Gladiator), who will write and executive produce alongside Sam Mendes and Pippa Harris (Revolutionary Road).

The eight-part series tells the origin stories of literary horror characters such as Victor Frankenstein, Frankenstein’s monster, Count Dracula and Dorian Gray.

David Nevins, Showtime’s President of Entertainment, said:

John Logan and Sam Mendes are two of the great storytellers of our time.

The visual spectacle combined with the psychological insight in their reimagining of these iconic literary characters seems totally mesmerising to me. This promises to be a wholly original television show.

Filming will commence on October 7 at Co Wicklow’s Ardmore Studios and locations around Dublin and continuing until March 2014.

(via RTE)

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses to Billie Piper Cast in Penny Dreadful

1. TonyS says:

This could be like “Mystery & Imagination” from the 60s :)

2. Ranger says:

And I see it’s an excuse to show, yet again, the scantily clad version of Billie Piper. Remember that there are women that also use this site.

• alexh78 says:

Some of them might like the scantily clad Billie Piper too.. but your point is definitely seen ;-)

• Matt A Marti says:

And I’m sure those women have the ability to take themselves away from the page there Ranger if they are offended pretty sure they don’t need you to act chivarious

• Fair go on Ranger, people. She’s right – we’ve used this particular image several times in the past.

Time to find new pics of Ms Piper, K Team!

• vortexter says:

In her skimpy’s if possible Christian!

• Maybe a classic Rose Tyler image in deference to some of the more family-friendly pages that might share.

3. Bill Hedrick says:

Women don’t appreciate a picture of a good looking young woman?

4. Hope says:

This is exciting! I think it’ll be brilliant!

(And as a woman, I love seeing the scantily clad version of the sexy Billie Piper, thank you very much!)

5. lydia says:

Yes, there are women like me who use this site, and I LOVE scantily clad Billie Piper photos.

6. rickjlundeen says:

I have no problem with the Piper shots, they’re tasteful enough, etc. It’s not you use the shot that much anyway. Now the Moff, on the other hand, that shot of him frowning and serious, the shot of him with the WWII Dalek, and a few others get a LOT of use and reuse. They should really get a lot more pics of him out there, especially as he’s staying for the foreseeable future.

• vortexter says:

Moffatt reminds me of Moe Syzlak from The Simpsons. As long as we don’t see him in his undies I’ll be a happy man.

7. R. A. Stark says:

Oh? That’s Billy Piper under all that cartoonish airbrushing? If it were a promo-shot for the new show, I suppose that would be one thing, but in the future I would ask the Kasterborous editors keep the objectification topical if they can’t resist the urge.

8. Jeanette says:

My goodness people get a grip, You see more on beaches or even the streets these days. I think she looks absolutely awesome.

9. Paul Blume says:

Though, yes, another picture of Piper might well be in order ~ preferably as Rose Tyler ~ let’s not forget that one of her longer-running roles was in ‘Diary of a Call Girl’. As for Moffat, I think a picture of him sporting a pair of Speedos while lounging on a bear skin rug would just traumatise your readers.

10. Spider-pope says:

Massively disappointed. From the headline i thought the BBC had given The Penny Dreadful’s their own TV with Billie Piper.