Merchandise dvd-4thdr-timecapsule

Published on July 9th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

The Fourth Doctor Time Capsule Collection!

We featured the teaser video a few days ago, and can now reveal that BBC Worldwide has announced details of the forthcoming Fourth Doctor Time Capsule DVD and merchandise collection!

dvd-4thdr-timecapsule

Click here for a full-resolution image of the pack contents.

The Fourth Doctor Time Capsule is an individually numbered deluxe box-set, containing exclusive content and memorabilia from Tom Baker’s era on Doctor Who, including a newly-commissioned interview with the man himself – An Interview with the Time Lord.

Alongside the interview package, the set contains an advance vanilla release of the restored Terror of the Zygons, set to be released in full later this year. Telling the tale of shape-shifting aliens attempting to colonize the Earth, Terror of the Zygons introduces the titular monsters, who are set to return in the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special.

With a limited run of 5,000 units, the Time Capsule also includes:
- An exclusive post-regenerative Fourth Doctor action figure, wearing Jon Pertwee’s trademark frill-fronted shirt.
- A Fourth Doctor sonic screwdriver
- An audio version of classic Tom Baker story Genesis of the Daleks
- Novel Tomb of Valdemar by Simon Messingham, set during the Fourth Doctor’s search for the Key to Time.
- Art cards of all the Fourth Doctor’s companions.
- And a letter from Tom Baker himself.

Available from July 29th, the The Fourth Doctor Time Capsule can be ordered from Amazon now for £55.99

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to The Fourth Doctor Time Capsule Collection!

1. avatar Francis Cave says:

Well according to the e-mail I just received from the BBC shop, its £62.99 which is way overpriced considering the Zygons DVD, surely the centrepiece of the whole set, is vanilla!

For that price I’d expect the letter from TB to be individualy hand written by the man himself!

2. avatar Nick Lewis says:

Is “Terror of the Zygons” the only story with this release? Poor show if it is.

I was rather hoping, in the 50th year, that BBC/ 2entertain would start rolling out season boxsets, but obviously not.

3. I tried to pre-order, not available to us American Whovians! Sigh!!

4. avatar OCeanGirl24 says:

There is one place on ebay that is selling this set for pre-order to the US (& worldwide). It’s expensive, though. And only 2 left.

5. avatar rickjlundeen says:

The novel, letter and action figure are good bits of the package but the pics we’ve seen a million times before, already have the DVD of Genesis–why get the audio?, have the sonic and I’ll be getting the proper Zygons DVD later. So that’s a crazy price for an otherwise interesting package, have of which is already out there or will be.

• avatar Francis Cave says:

Apart from a new cover there’s nothing really special about the book which originally came out in 2000.

You can still get good used copies from Amazon for about £3.

6. avatar Tongmaster5 says:

Yet another blatant example of ripping off the fans, Terror of the Zygons was originally due to be released 29/06/13, this explains why it was put back 30/09/13

7. avatar Christopher Martin says:

To me, this is a pile of overpriced, left over, collected together tat (with the exception of the vanilla Terror of the Zygons), so I won’t buy it. If I did, then I would feel ripped off.

For a long time I have felt that fans are seen as cash cows by those that produce merchandise and so have deliberately restricted what I buy and when I buy it. I now only buy the DVD’s I haven’t got some time after release date (because they are cheaper) and books…and even with books I only really read the fiction or those that really interest me.

A recent example was the Doctor Who Magazine special on the Daleks priced at £9.99 – a nice magazine, definitely, but cynically over priced….so I gave it a miss. Totally not worth the money.

I started to feel like this with Big Finish’s constant stream of fanw**k CD’s, which added nothing to the programme but merely fuelled the individual author’s particular continuity obsession point.

If you fancy it, buy it and enjoy it. If you feel it’s over priced tat (like me), then don’t.

• I think it’s fair enough to be concerned about the quality of various merchandise, but I feel you’re being a little unfair on the DWM specials. £9.99 is not overpriced when you compare with other seasonal specials, such as the regular tranche of “ultimate” computer user guides that fill many spaces at WH Smith and other newsagents (and speaking as a contributor to some of these, I speak from experience…).

• avatar Francis Cave says:

I was unsure about buying the DWM Dalek Special until I finally managed to find a copy somewhere, looked at it and was immediately sold on it.

Next on the list is the 2nd Dr Missing Eps special, if I can find it….

• avatar Christopher Martin says:

Possibly…I just thought it was expensive for what it was. If you compare it to a book, which is more substantial (even a glossy coffee table style book) I just didn’t think it was good value.

As ever it’s the value / worth equation – is that particular item, at that price of equal value and worth to me such that I’ll pay for it? In the case of the Dalek special I thought that my money was better spent on something else.

Glad others liked it and there is a market for it, as on the whole, I buy nearly all the Dr Who Magazine specials. I like them and they nearly always add something to what I know. I was actually comparing it to the price of the other specials, though I accept what Tom Spilsbury said on Twitter; that it wasn’t part of the usual specials range, which I think explains the higher price.