Merchandise Series 7 blu-ray

Published on July 23rd, 2013 | by Philip Bates

Series 7 Boxset Released September!

Doctor Who: The Complete Series 7 boxset is expected to hit shelves in September, according to Blu-ray.com.

Series 7 DVD

Blu-ray.com report that the set will be released on 24th September, presumably as both Blu-ray and DVD. Though it’s an American site, the UK should expect a similar release date – or if not, things are going to kick off.

The set includes all the episodes from The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe through Asylum of the Daleks, seeing the Ponds off in style in The Angels Take Manhattan, onto Clara’s ‘proper’ debut stories, The Snowmen and The Bells of Saint John, and concluding with The Name of the Doctor. The stories were only previously released as a vanilla release (in the case of the 2011 Christmas special) and two smaller boxsets – Series 7, Parts 1 and 2 – with limited extras.

The boxset will also include:

• Audio Commentaries;
  • Behind the Scenes Featurettes;
  • Episode Prequels ;
  • Doctor Who on The Nerdist;
  • Doctor Who in the U.S. ;
  • Last Days of the Ponds;
  • Pond Life;
  • The Science of Doctor Who;
  • The Companions;
  • Doctor Who at Comic Con.

Series 7 blu-ray 3d

That last one sounds interesting, eh? I wonder if trailers for the 50th anniversary special and/or An Adventure in Space and Time will be included as part of that?

Without a doubt, this boxset has been a looooong time coming – but with quality stories like A Town Called Mercy, Hide and The Crimson Horror (and then some!), it’s worth the wait!

(Find out more at Blu-ray.com. With thanks to Joe.)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Series 7 Boxset Released September!

1. avatar Alex Smith says:

your quality episodes are IMO some of the worst of the season, most notably The Crimson Horror, the Comic Con, maybe the Comic Con that Series 7 had rather than the 50th one, the 50th special will have its own release

• avatar Philip Bates says:

The Crimson Horror is quite marmite, I admit, but I’ve found the series in general very strong, which again, many would disagree with. That’s the greatness of Who though – each episode appeals to different people :)

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

In my opinion the greats of series 7 were Asylum, Town, Manhattan, Snowmen, War, Hide, Journey, Horror And Name. The clunkers were Widow (God, that one was especially bad), Three, Bells, Akhaten and Nightmare. The only mediocre one was Dinosaurs. For me (personally) every story apart from Dinosaurs has either been brilliant or extremely disappointing. But isn’t that one of the great things about our beloved show? One man’s Caves Of Androzani is another man’s Timelash! I think it’s safe to say that most fans adore Genesis Of The Daleks, but it’s also fair to say that a fair few absolutely adore Time And The Rani. And that is great. It’s fantastic! I love the fact that I hate Widow and that others love it. This show survives and thrives because we are not all happy all of the time, but we are all happy in the end (except for very few who seem just hell bent on hating everything new that’s broadcast – in which case why do they still watch? I don’t understand their bile towards the show). if a story is broadcast that we do not like, you can rest assured that one you love is not far away!!!

2. Hurray! Audio commentaries!

3. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I actually picked up the individual vanilla sets for this. Combined, they were cheaper and by now, I’ve learned that the commentaries are not all they’re cracked up to be, with the stars doing very few of them. In fact, they had some of those extra on the vanilla sets so I’m good.

• How do you know who is on the commentaries?

• avatar rickjlundeen says:

I don’t but the last few years, seemed like more than half the episodes didn’t have people I wanted to listen too. Moffat only participated in two, can’t even remember if Smith did more than a couple. What was presented just didn’t thrill me. I usually like the extras but they weren’t really worth it for me. I’m sure there’s plenty that others like though.

4. I wonder why they didn’t wait till after Christmas so they could include both of smiths last stories in the set as in my opinion it would look odd having them at the start of the next boxset which will have the new doc in.

• avatar rickjlundeen says:

I think it started to become a case of “where do we draw the line”.–I’m just guessing though. I mean, they stretched out series 7 for so long, they had to include two different Christmas specials and if they had to add the 50th and the regen special, they’d have to go even higher on the price.

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

My guess is that the 50th Anniversary and Matt’s departure story at Christmas will be a set in their own right. These two specials should provide more than enough material opportunity for special features and to make them a worthwhile purchase.

• avatar rickjlundeen says:

I’d like to think that they’ll have the 50th, the regeneration/Christmas special as well as the Gatiss “Adventures in time and space” in there with a ton of extras. That’d be a nice set. Then they can start clean with a new Doctor’s adventures next year.

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Totally forgot to mention Time And Space but that was what I meant. They’re not likely to release it separately.

5. avatar Christine says:

I’ve already got myself the individual sets (too impatient to wait for the release of the whole) but I was wondering whether the wonderful PS-storyboard inclusion of how Rory’s father was informed of Amy’s and Rory’s fate will also be included. I know it wasn’t actually filmed but I still liked it and Arthur Darvill did do the voice. And that is one extra that’s not included on the individual sets (as well as the commentaries and some others) and would be a reason for me to be interested despite the fact that I’ve already got all the episodes.

I agree that the series on the whole was quite strong with some lesser stories (but it would be truly impossible to have only ‘best’ stories in any case) despite quite a lot of people apparently not enjoying the series. In fact I’ve been quite worried because of all the negativism swirling around although there were also different noises – even on the net and twitter. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind a bit of critical reflection and evaluation of a story (a review with only “wonderfuls” in it is of course quite boring), but one should bear in mind that it’s always possible to just switch to another channel and watch something else. I found all stories quite watchable, most to be enjoyable whether through the storyline, great acting or just because of the presence of certain favourite villains/monsters or even just because of Murray Gold’s excellent music. For example I’ve read all kinds of destructive comments on the Rings of Akhaten but personally I just loved it because of the emotional music. It makes me sniff time and again despite the flaws in the story. And there usually is something nice in every episode, while some were just sublime. I never get bored while watching! Finally I am pleased to note that you guys managed to remain positive in your reviews – not without being critical and honest about certain episodes – but still quite positive.

6. avatar Colin says:

Interesting–I knew the set was coming out Sept 24th by checking Amazon this morning. I’m not sure how long they’ve been listing it, but it’s there with the release date and price.

Just FYI… :)

• Have you got a link, Colin, as we couldn’t find it…?

• avatar Colin says:

Here ya go:

• avatar Dan Hallett says:

Not listed on Amazon.co.uk yet. Looks like different packaging for UK and US variants although I guess this is always the case.

7. Quality head on Arthur Darvill there…