Doctor Who News Could Torchwood's Burn Gorman be the Twelfth Doctor?

Published on June 20th, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Torchwood Star Among Names for the Twelfth Doctor

A surprising name has emerged amongst the many actors in contention for the role of the Twelfth Doctor Who.

Former Torchwood star Burn Gorman, who played Owen Harper in the Doctor Who spin-off, is rumoured to be one of the final contenders for the role. If the The Dark Knight Rises actor is successful, it would perhaps be the closest we come to an American Doctor – the actor was born to British parents in Hollywood in 1974.

Another name also rumoured to be amongst the BBC producers’ hypothetical list of actors being considered for the next Time Lord is Green Wing star Julian Rhind-Tutt.

As reported in The Sun, Julian was rumoured to be down to the last few potential Doctors when David Tennant left the role in 2010.

Far away from the close/close-but-no-cigar stakes is former Doctor Who guest-star David Harwood (The End of Time) who unsurprisingly said that playing the Doctor would be an ‘exciting’ prospect.

Speaking on ITV’s Loose Women David said:

“It would be really difficult to turn down…It’s very exciting. It would be very exciting if the phone rang…Get the BBC on the phone. We should start a pressure group or something!”

Someone else who’s unlikely to receive a call from the BBC is Red Dwarf star Craig Charles, who is quoted in Purple Revolver as saying that he would love to be the first black Doctor:

“Yeah, having a black Doctor Who would be double cool. To be asked by the Beeb would be great, it’s such a classic show.

But I think there would probably be too much cross-over with Red Dwarf, as we’ve got a new series lined up next year.

Also, I would have to grit my teeth a bit, because the thing about Dr Who that always annoyed me was the graphics are crap.

But, even if I can’t be the first black Doctor, I am the first black man to own a house on Corrie, which is as good a claim to fame.”

One name that could tentatively be scrubbed from the every-growing list new Doctors is John Hurt.

As reported by Den of Geek, the man who was introduced as the Doctor in The Name of the Doctor has joined the cast of Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan’s sci-fi Vampire show The Strain, based on the pair’s book trilogy of the same name.

The pilot episode, where the Alien star will reteam with the Hellboy director to play Professor Abraham Setrakian, “a holocaust survivor who immigrated to the United States after World War II and now runs a pawn shop in Spanish Harlem”, is set to begin shooting in September – apparently ruling him out of any further appearances beyond the 50th anniversary (or perhaps the Christmas special?)

So is Burn a good fit for the Doctor? Julian Rhind-Tutt certainly has the look but does he have your vote? And should Craig Charles swap the Jupiter Mining Corp for the TARDIS? And why has Ben Miller not yet broken his silence?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to Torchwood Star Among Names for the Twelfth Doctor

1. Tink says:

I can see Burn in the role but it would come with the negative stigma of Owen’s womanizing ways, especially since his time on Torchwood ended relatively recently. A name I’ve seen attached to this supposed short list is Emun Elliott. I like the thought of the Doctor being a bit rougher and scruffier looking like he pulls off. Plus he’s part Iranian so those with diversity issues might be pleased…

• Lewis Seymour says:

Emun Elliott is almost completely unknown – a plus if rumours are to be believed (he’s been in various shows but nothing has made him high profile). Not convinced he’d be different enough from MS though from the pics I’ve seen (can’t comment on his acting as I’ve never seen any)

2. heikoc says:

I think Burn Gorman would be a really poor choice for the doctor, because his role in torchwood would be waaaaaay to big. It’s one thing for one thing for actors of one-off characters like freemas in “army of ghosts” and colin bakers in “arc of infinity” to become the doctor, but “My-name-is-owen-harper-and-i-am-dead” becoming the doctor? I don’t see it.
    If the doctor had met owen harper somewhere down the line, you possibly could explain it away as they did with colin baker, but as far as I know they never met in either torchwood or doctor who, so I think that really wont work.

• Lewis Seymour says:

Burn Gorman is almost certainly just a load of tabloid cobblers – it is highly unlikely that they’d cast someone who had such a high profile role in a DW spinoff.

3. I keep suggesting Kris Marshal. Why doesn’t anyone like the idea of his playing the role??

• He’s just signed up for Death in Paradise to replace Ben Miller who has inexplicably quit a job that involves spending 8 months a year in the Caribbean with a great cast.

So Marshal is out.

Miller, on the other hand…

• Lewis Seymour says:

Miller probably quit DiP because he was very ill with heatstroke during the filming of the first series – no doubt he was contracted for two, so had no option but to do the second. Indications are he struggled with the heat during that as well. Pity as it won’t be the same without him – and I don’t like Marshall at all.

Miller would be an awful Doctor – I like him a lot, but he has no range – he can play just one type and play it well, but the Doctor needs someone who can do emotions, and this is not Miller’s strong point (which is why he was so good in DiP!)

• Not sure I agree about the range comment. I would agree that he has been typecast however. :)

He was always bound to struggle with the heat though, wasn’t he? The character wears a suit all day long!

• TimeChaser says:

Perhaps playing the Doctor would provide an opportunity to show that he does have more range than you think? ;)

I’m looking at pics of him right now, and I have to say just from looking at him I could easily picture him as the Doctor. But then, looks and acting aren’t always hand-in-hand.

• STLShawn says:

I think he would be fantastic. He can carry himself with the mix of assurance and curiosity that the doctor should have.

4. rickjlundeen says:

Please, not Gorman. I’d have a lot of trouble separating that weasel faced Torchwood character from the proceedings.

5. Neu 75 says:

Just another random name thrown at the dartboard by some hack or other. Rhind-Tutt is a more interesting proposition though…

• Lewis Seymour says:

I’m pretty sure they are just opening Spotlight at random now and picking out names…

Having said that, I thought Tutt would make a good Doctor way back before it was announced that Eccleston had got the role and wouldn’t object to him now.

6. TimeChaser says:

No, no, no, and finally, just no. He’s already had a major role in a Doctor Who-related spin-off. Colin Baker having a guest role in one story then later being cast as the Doctor was one thing, this would just not work at all.

7. Lewis Seymour says:

99% of this “reporting” is just bollocks written by semi-illiterate hacks. I read one piece yesterday in the online edition of a tabloid that said RTD was stepping down from his role as Executive Producer! Talk about poor research.

If they keep shouting out names, eventually they’ll get one right and then can claim they knew all along when it was just a lucky guess.

When David Harewood expressed an interest he was immediately hailed as a candidate for the job as if he’d been auditioned and offered the part – rather than just expressing an opinion. Paris Jackson tweets she’d like the part and its reported she’s “lined up”.

Truly appalling journalism. Seriously, I know this is a TV show not high politics but really, do they have no standards at all anymore?

And the ones that do die in mysterious circumstances (I’ll let you do your own research into that, though…)

8. TimeChaser says:

I’m not familiar with Julian Rhind-Tutt, so I’ve gone to watch clips of him in various things. I think he would be interesting. He’d definitely be a change in tone from Matt. I find it ironic that they were both in The Shadow in the North.

9. billy walters says:

if Burn Gorman is the doctor. I will quit watching doctor who. (he is unlikeable as the doctor, he is better as a sidekick to the doctor.

10. STLShawn says:

I agree with those who say “probably not”. I like him as an actor in certain roles, but i don’t see him having the gravitas to be the doctor (oddly, that was my concern with Matt Smith, but I have seen Burn Gorman, and he doesn’t have it).

I want to see a comedic actor in the role. Craig Charles would have been good, but yeah, too much RD baggage, and the rest of the cast is showing their age a bit too much. If they were to make it more of a drama again, more about good stories, then an older actor could do it.

My vote (long shot) is still Richard Ayoade. Won’t win, but that would be fun.

11. Spider-pope says:

Craig Charles doesn’t have a chance in hell. Not because of his skin colour or even his past roles, but because of his history with drug and alcohol addiction. The BBC aren’t going to cast someone known for their drug habit as the lead of their flagship family show

12. Shadow13 says:

Benedict Cumberbatch. This is all.

13. Wayne says:

If I remember correctly and Craig Charles is the one I think he is he did a guest spot on Dr. Who during Eccelston’s stint that episode featured Billie Piper as Rose and John Barrowman a Captain Jack…something to do with a really messed up game show of sorts. Still I think he would be ultra cool in the part…..that is if he didn’t have to re live what previous Doctors have already done.

• You’re thinking of Paterson Joseph.

14. Carla says:

IMHO, Right show…wrong male character……Gareth David Lloyd ( aka Ianto Jones) would be a MUCH better Doctor! Right age, right acting style AND he looks good in suits!

15. Billy says:

Im a big fan of Steve Valentine actually. He can be funny and seriously moving, I think he’d shake it up a bit, who knows though, it will probably be Johnny Depp..