Doctor Who News misc-chrisaddison

Published on June 14th, 2013 | by Meredith Burdett

How Chris Addison Might Look in Doctor Who

Amidst all of the casting rumours that are floating about the internet recently, as well as several newspapers, regarding the casting of the Twelfth Doctor, there have been a few amusing suggestions mixed in with the believable and the ridiculous.

One of the funniest is the mention of comedian Chris Addison (The Thick of It, Mock the Week) stepping aboard the TARDIS.

Addison is apparently a bookies favourite for the role alongside Ben Daniels (Merlin) and Rory Kinnear (Casino Royale) although his serious acting credits don’t seem to outweigh his comedy efforts [rather like Jon Pertwee - Ed].

The new series of topical panel show Mock the Week, which features Addison as a regular, apparently addressed the rumour in the recording of the latest episode which aired last night on BBC Two, but photos of Addison wearing a Fourth Doctor hat and scarf combo didn’t reflect what we saw on the broadcast show. As the 30 minute show is edited down from over 60 minutes, we’ll have to assume that the scene ended up being cut.

You can catch the latest Mock the Week on BBC iPlayer.

But let’s face it – the Twelfth Doctor rumour-mongering is all getting a bit silly season now, isn’t it?

(Via Digital Spy.)

Tags: , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

7 Responses to How Chris Addison Might Look in Doctor Who

1. Timelover says:

To be fair, I’ve seen Chris on QI and he’s quite intelligent as well as being funny. He may be a surprisingly good choice.

2. cerebus660 says:

Chris Addison has definitely gone down in my estimation – I mean, digging out the Fourth Doctor’s scarf? Is that how the show is still defined, even in 2013? Laziness…

3. TimeChaser says:

Getting a bit silly? Its been silly from the beginning. Its silly every time we have a regeneration coming up and the press start speculating.

4. Lewis Seymour says:

I don’t really think you can possibly compare Addison to Perwtee – just because both are known for comedy. Perwtee was an experience stage, screen and radio *actor* – mainly known for comedy, but he had done drama on stage. Addison is best known for panel shows. It’s a mystery where his sudden popularity has come from for the role – but then you could say the same of any of the contenders!

And yes – in 2013 surely he should have been wearing a bowtie and tweed jacket?

5. Mugen Pharoah says:

Hmmm….I think he’s a bit too similar to Matt really….too youthful.

I just think of him in those adverts with Alexander Armstrong.

6. STLShawn says:

I remember seeing this kid with crazy big hair, beady little eyes, and a huge chin about to take over the role and thinking “oh my goodness, the show is over! It’s going to directly target the pop culture teenage market”. However, Matt Smith’s acting has surprised and delighted me. I would have never thought him capable of such depth and gravitas when i saw those first interviews of him sitting in that chair with his crazy hair.

Relive my horror here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJpB9QhejnU

• Mugen Pharoah says:

Matt’s been fantastic. He’s a joy to watch. I’m gutted he’s leaving, and I really thought he’d do at least one more complete series.

I too remember thinking….whaaaaaaa?! when I saw him and feeling uncertain but we always do with a new Doctor.

There isn’t actually a Doctor I dislike! I probably have to edge Pertwee as no.1 though. Matt’s come the closest for me for pinching the top spot. They really are all splendid chaps.