Doctor Who News Reece Shearsmith cast as Patrick Troughton

Published on June 30th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

An Adventure in Space and Time “lovingly rendered” says Shearsmith

Mark Gatiss’ former League of Gentlemen colleague Reece Shearsmith has recently spoken of how impressed he was with An Adventure in Space and Time, the Doctor Who early years dramatisation in which he appears as Patrick Troughton.

Reece Shearsmith cast as Patrick Troughton

Speaking to Digital Spy, Shearsmith enthused:

I was honoured to be part of it. Mark’s… had that idea for a long time and he’s finally got to do it this year. It’s the perfect time for it to happen, with it being the 50th anniversary in November.

I think he just always had this idea that I would [play Troughton]. It’s very small – I’m literally only in a very small little bit, but it was lovely to be part of it.

Unsurprisingly, Gatiss – who wrote and Executive Produced the drama that stars David Bradley as William Hartnell – is described by his friend as being “in his absolute element.”

The attention to detail was immaculate. He’s done a really good rendering of that time and that story. I think it’s a real treat.

An Adventure in Space and Time is expected to be broadcast in November.
(Via Digital Spy)

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to An Adventure in Space and Time “lovingly rendered” says Shearsmith

1. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I’m really looking forward to this almost as much as the 50th special and as a side note, from stills I’ve seen, they have faithfully recreated the original Tardis console room for the set. One can only hope that they’ll get more use out of that set…..somewhere….hint….hint…

• avatar vortexter says:

They even got the colour right. A pale shade of green! It is a wonderful thing to behold.

2. avatar joesiegler says:

I still wonder if the actors they got to portray Hartnell & Troughton could have filmed something quietly for the 50th anniversary. :)

• avatar vortexter says:

I wondered that. Maybe some of the budget and reduced episode count went towards a special episode they’ve filmed. This may be what Moffat was hinting at when he said that there was more than one special?

3. avatar Ian Gettings says:

Great (but, is it likely he would say anything else? ;) )

4. avatar rickjlundeen says:

If I ha to guess, if we see more of the classic Doctors in the 50th, I’m guessing we’ll see more glimpses of them as Smith’s Doctor is trying to get Clara out of his own time-stream—a really good excuse to digitally insert Smith into brief clips of old adventures. AND they do have that new team of SFX artists that replaced the Mill and the special will be their debut so they’ll want to pull out all the stops to please folks.

5. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

You know, I have a suspicion this is going to end with Hartnell’s filming of the Three doctors….and what’s the bet Gatiss will be appearing as Pertwee?

6. avatar Russ says:

I’m looking forward to this as much as the 50th and Xmas special. It looks to be great casting.