Doctor Who News Earthshock

Published on May 7th, 2013 | by Meredith Burdett

The Fifth Doctor Revisited!

The celebration of the Doctor in the United States continues this month with the screening of the Fifth Doctor classic Earthshock, which will be shown directly after Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited – The Fifth Doctor.

The special broadcast will look at the Davison era of Doctor Who and the radical changes that the show went through in the early 1980’s after the departure of Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor.

The Cybermen take time out of their busy schedule to watch Earthshock.

The Cybermen take time out of their busy schedule to watch Earthshock.

Taking part in the retrospective documentary will be Peter Davison (the Fifth Doctor), Steven Moffat (Current Doctor Who show runner), Hugh Bonneville (2011’s The Curse of the Black Spot and A Good Man Goes to War), Sarah Sutton (Nyssa), Mark Strickson (Turlough) and many others.

There will also be a look at the returning villains for Davison’s first series as the Doctor namely the Master and the Cybermen, the latter of which had a massive design overhaul for the first time in 7 years for their big reappearance in Doctor Who, not unlike what will be happening this Saturday in Nightmare in Silver.

Doctor Who Series 7b: Nightmare in Silver

The Davison era has many parallels with the current Smith era: a young Doctor, bold new adventures, rich and varied storytelling, and a major anniversary event during both tenures!

If, for some inexplicable reason, you’ve never watched Earthshock or a making-of documentary on the Fifth Doctor years, then you should tune into to BBC America to find out what all the fuss has been about.

Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited – The Fifth Doctor premieres Sunday, May 26, 8:00pm ET/PT on BBC America.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

11 Responses to The Fifth Doctor Revisited!

1. vortexter says:

“Excellent!”

2. TimeChaser says:

I figured they would either play Earthshock or The Caves of Androzani.

• Philip Bates says:

Not Arc of Infinity?! :O

3. vortexter says:

Leave Arc of Infinity alone sir! Any story that makes Gallifrey look like a Milton Keynes conference center and has Omegas TARDIS look like the ministry of sounds mixing room gets my vote .I consider watching this story as part of my education as a child. (Did you know Amsterdam was below sea level before watching the show? Did you? …honest?). And what to do if a citizen of your planet and a hero that saved your world several times is attacked by a force of anti-matter from a negative universe, (execute him with no trial). I still recall in horror the look of pain and and terror in Tegan’s cousin Colin’s eyes before Omega released his mind grip and he collapsed on the floor “Tegan!”(THUD!) Not even the Ergon can dampen my enthusiasm for this underated classic slice of Davison who. Never mind the lasting effect on the good people of Amsterdam at watching the nice young vet from british TV racing across the canals with green rice crispies attached to his face. Mr Moffatt would do well to take lessons from this wonderfull piece of nostalgia. They dont make them like this anymore. (except for the Rings of Akhaten, Fear her, and that weird one I can never remember the name of where Mark Gatiss turned into a scorpion thing. (any old —— with an equity card…)

• Philip Bates says:

I’m sorry; I feel ashamed of myself.

(Also, I do like Arc for its scenery. Amsterdam’s a lovely place, and occasionally, you see see charming anti-matter people who look like That Bloke Off At Home With The Braithwaites…)

4. vortexter says:

There is a powerful and wonderful scene in ‘Arc’ episode 4 where Omega, the first of the Timelord’s who travelled to the star of Jartus, crushed it like a grape and towed it back to Gallifrey to power the TARDIS’s of the future, is going to crush a little brat for pushing ahead of the queue when listening to an organ player. He relents when he realises that he has a second chance and we see he’s not the monster history has portayed him to be. (The gardener by the fountain he crushed like a fly earlier for his overalls would disagree of course.)
    Today if the scene were put into the new series, the rude brat would be the subject of millions of chat forums as to the hidden meaning of the scene (perhaps he was a younger version of Rassillon? Did you see the flowers on his jumper, there was a rose there? and most telling of all, perhaps he was ‘The Other’ and Omega knew this?) The debate rages on.

• Philip Bates says:

From what I recall – I last watched it some years ago! – that is a nice scene. I don’t really hate Arc tbh. I see positives in it, as well as the negatives. I liked seeing Omega again, and Davison is wonderful in everything, frankly.

Also, I have it on good authority that the boy was the Rani in disguise.

5. vortexter says:

Davison was my Doctor. It was as popular then as the new show is now and it was event TV. When Adric died it hit the news. And he didn’t come back like Rory, he stayed dead. There were consequences as well. Tegan left after seeing the misery and death creatures like the Daleks left in their wake and never came back. My parents took me to the Longleat celebrations for the 20th anniversary and I saw Peter in costume as the Dr which was superb for a ten year old. And when Davison died in the TARDIS a bit of me died as well.
    Earthshock is my favourite show of all. It is the closest the show got to being epic and a perfect choice to represent the 5th Doctors era.

The Rani was the little boy? Of course! Why couldnt I see it?. You’ll be telling me Commander Maxell got the role of the sixth Doctor from a wedding speech he gave next.

6. Geoff says:

I met the 5th Doctor as he walked the queue at longleat to cheer us all up while we waited in the rain. I had my picture taken with him and was too excited to speak for about an hour. Funnily now my strongest memory is of his celery stick which when seen in the flesh blatantly wasn’t real. Never the less a happy day indeed, I was 10 as well btw.

7. Mez says:

I met Peter Davison once, he said ‘take your hand off my face’.

Magical.

8. TonyS says:

Some frinds and I saw Peter Davison in a play just after he left Dr Who. He didn’t look to pleased to have Dr Who fans asking for his autogrpah. Can’t really blame him. Charming bloke though.