Doctor Who News Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor

Published on April 24th, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

Will Steven Moffat Really Reveal the Doctor’s Name?

Steven Moffat has promised that come the finale of Series 7, The Name of the Doctor, we will have learned something we never knew about the Doctor…but what that just might be is anyone’s guess.

Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor

Doctor Who: The Name of the Doctor

Promising viewers ‘a shock’ come the closing credits of that last episode Moffat commented in his episode guide in the Radio Times that:

“There’s going to be a revelation. I’m not teasing. I’m not wrong-footing you — you’re about to learn something about the Doctor that you never knew before,”

Whether or not that actually means we will final gain an answer to the first question in the universe: Doctor who? Even the possibility that we’ll learn something else from the Doctor’s dark and distant past remains to be seen.

However Moffat has also commented in this month’s issue of DWM that those big story arcs hinted at in The Wedding of River Song will be addressed:

“There’s often an element of throwing in some lovely names, and then figuring it out later, but I’ve always had a sort of plan for the Doctor and Trenzalore…Things will be resolved. Things I’ve left hanging in plain sight – and sometimes not in plain sight – will be tied up…”

He added:

“I feel as though we’re going to deliver. We’ve only just finished shooting the actual completed ending – it’s ridiculously secret – but it’s quite a thing, hopefully.”

As the synopsis says; ‘Someone is kidnapping the Doctor’s friends, leading him towards the one place in all of time and space that he should never go.’ And Trenzalore, according to Dorium Maldovar, is the place ‘no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer.’

Could the Doctor be about to break his first rule, ‘rule one: the Doctor lies’ and answer the first question?

Tags: , , , ,

18 Responses to Will Steven Moffat Really Reveal the Doctor’s Name?

1. Ian says:

I think it will be like Asylum of the Daleks. ‘Every Dalek ever’ we were promised and we didn’t get that. I think its a publicity stunt.

2. 2157ad says:

I agree with Ian.We wont b getting the Doctors name.No bad thing either.Moff needs 2 b careful, I felt cheated by the ‘every Dalek evr’ thing & didnt njoy Asylum as a result.

3. TimeChaser says:

As long as they don’t entirely take away the mystery of the Doctor, I’m OK with it. And I was wondering how long it would take before Moffat got around to Trenzalore.

4. Paul Blume says:

Short answer, NO. Longer answer, NO. Moffat is just leading the viewer down his accustomed garden path, as per usual.

5. lozzer says:

Remember The Doctor’s Daughter… It’s not going to really happen. It’s a suggestive title to draw in viewers and make it event TV.

6. Howard Railton says:

How can you not lose the mystery when you’re revealing his name? Dr Who will never be as mysterious when he’s just any old Joe Soap.

Moffat’s the Grinch of Christmas for revealing this one mystery that has served the show so well for 50 years.

• David F says:

But he won’t.

7. Simon says:

To be honest, while I doubt it will happen personally, if he did pull it off, it would more than likely be another alias like “The Other”, so it doesn’t totally reveal his past.

• JH says:

I’ve always felt that The Other was the parallel world Doctor. He was supposed to be a human and helped the founding fathers Rassilon and Omega. What ordinary human would be able to do that other than a timelord in human form.

8. Paul Blume says:

I doubt it’ll even get as far as THAT, Simon. He’ll announce that he’s about to tell us his name, open his mouth, and…CUT.

9. drewboynton says:

In plain sight: “My real name is…..deh-deh-duhhhh!…..Doctor John Smith!”

10. TonyS says:

Unless his name IS “The Doctor”

11. Ian Gettings says:

I am a little worried – for all the benefits of a blinding reveal and shock, it would then possibly be a bit of a “What next?” deflation after…

12. Al says:

The story will certainly be about the Doctor’s name, but that doesn’t mean we have to actually hear it on screen. It’s a shame, really, that we’re seeing bits and pieces of the anniversary special suggesting some element of status quo, so whatever it is, it doesn’t look like it’s going to be a game-changer in the long run (unless the special ends up being a flashback of some sort).

13. Bill Hartnells Son says:

Wasn’t the Doctors name in clear view, written in High Galifreyan, on his crib in Good Man Goes to War?

14. Hayden says:

I have a question the doctors daughter shes alive as she kinda partly regenerated so what happens with her it feels a shame to leave her story the way it was left.

15. thehmuff says:

No. No. No. MOFFAAAAT. I don’t want to know his name! It’s been a secret for 50 years. Moffat has no right to tell us now! While I truly love 11, he’s losing all the mysteriousness that made Doctors 1-10 so incredible.

16. Dalek Killer says:

Jamie was the first person to give the 2nd Doctor the name “John Smith”, the 3rd Doctor used it a couple of times & then by a staggering coincidence, 5 incarnations later during the TV movie when the 7th Doctor was morally wounded by Gang gunfire, Chin Lee came up with the name for him as well. And just like “The Doctor’s Daughter” & “The Doctor’s Wife” were red herrings, “The Name Of The Doctor” will probably no doubt be the same. Something along the lines of every language of every planet that the Doctor’s been to, his name translates into “John Smith”