Doctor Who News Eighth Doctor Who star Paul McGann

Published on April 14th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Could Paul McGann Be Called for 50th?

Sad at the loss of Christopher Eccleston in the Doctor Who 50th anniversary episode? Well, there might be a solution. Could it be possible that Paul McGann will finally be recalled to the TARDIS?

We know that David Tennant and Billie Piper are appearing in the episode, but speaking to ZBTV in New Zealand (where he and other former Doctors are attending the Lords of Time convention) Paul McGann revealed that there is still a chance that he or another classic era Doctor could be called to take part.

If you can’t see the video above, the following should help:

I think Chris Eccleston is probably a big factor in it. I don’t want to speak for him… he’s probably reluctant to get involved in anything that’s ongoing. So that’s something that they have to somehow get over and deal with. I’m guessing they’ve got time to do it. It’s not quite the anniversary yet. The anniversary doesn’t start until November.

Whatever it is that they’re planning and they are making, they’ve got time to do it. It’s my feeling [and] this is just a personal thing, once they resolve Chris Eccleston’s participation or non-participation either way, then they’re free to [figure it out]… Being actors anyway, they’ll call us on the Friday and say, ‘You’re starting on a Monday’.

We’re not going to know until the 11th hour. Half past 11… I can’t count the times as an actor, when [you're] offered something and you start next week!

Paul McGann has previously said that he will return to Doctor Who if asked.

(Via Digital Spy.)

What do you think? Wishful thinking for fans and from McGann, or could there be something in it? Is McGann’s agent already in discussions with the BBC?

Tags: , , , ,

20 Responses to Could Paul McGann Be Called for 50th?

1. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Of all the actors to have played the Doctor, McGann deserves a further outing as our favorite Time Lord. Plus the added factor that he can still come back at any time regardless of how he has aged as we never knew how old or different he looked when his regeneration took place. Come on Moff, don’t let us fans or the general public down!

• avatar Simon says:

Agreed, McGann’s Doctor is really underrated (check out his audio dramas for proof of this) and deserves another appearance as the Doctor. Also, as much as I love all the actors to play the Doctors and would love to see all the living ones together, even if it’s just a cameo appearance, Paul McGann is the one actor who could pull off being the Doctor again because he’s barely aged since 1996.

2. I’m still hlding out hope! He is the Doctor that I have most wanted to see back.

• “holding”

3. avatar Guy Grist says:

I agree.

4. avatar Don Smithon says:

I have always said the Eighth Doctor is my Doctor. I hope he does return! And, frankly, I hope they keep his original costume as opposed to the leather coat look he is going for.

5. avatar TimeChaser says:

They’d be incredibly foolish not to at least ask McGann to be involved. I think a large majority of fans would love to see him get the chance to play the Doctor once again on screen.

6. avatar Spacedog2k5 says:

All I gotta say to this is, “DON’T drop the ball, Moffatt! You’ve got a chance to be unbelievably awesome here.. Please, please don’t ignore this opportunity!”

• avatar Bob James says:

McGann or no McGann, I don’t think we need fear Steven Moffat “dropping the ball”. He’s well aware of what’s at stake……….

7. avatar Bob James says:

I too, would love to see McGann return. He deserves the opportunity, most certainly, and he would be, as related above, the most credible and believable past Doctor to make an appearance. As I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t think that Moffat would take us or him too close into the Time War though. That is Russell T Davies realm, and unless Russell were going to be involved, I don’t think that Steven would feel he had the license to go there. It would have to be a pre-Time War Eighth Doctor, or one just about to go in, but it could still work marvelously. It’s reassuring and nice to know, at the least, that he’s more than willing to participate. As of late, in retrospect, I’ve been thinking that the new series might have been better off launched with him as the Eighth Doctor anyway. For all the good we’ve gotten, perhaps having someone who’s enthusiasm would still be present might have been better for the Doctor Who family.

8. avatar Ben says:

It would be fantastic to see McGann return for the 50th if only to see what we are truly missing from the cannon, his death and regeneration. However, to do so, you would need to have Eccleston. I don’t think that Doctor Who could get away with another Doctor playing the Doctor during/pre/post regeneration like they did with the Baker-McCoy regeneration.

• avatar bdb says:

I want as I said in an earlier post all the living Doctor’s to return. If The BBC or Grand Moff are not allowing this to take place it is an insult to all the previous actor’s who played the doctor and to the audience and it will destroy the show! We are only getting 2 new shows this year- I do not count the rest of season 7! Were is all the money , maybe they do not want to pay for the actor’s to come back? Has anyone thought of that? As far as Christopher E not coming back , yes I am angry, but , this better not be the excuse- Well He will not do it so the other actor’s are not needed! Tom baker pulled this many times and he regretted it, so much so He is even willing to come back! So what if they are older , I am truly sick of this. If Jon Pertwee was still alive they would say he is too old Too! As far as MCGANN – I want him to come back! You do not need Christopher E for that sorry . Either have him come back with the other Doctors – or do a 10+ to 15 minute flashback with the Time War.This is the last chance to do this, – and end it with him regenerating cut before you see Christopher E ‘s face or get his permission to use it ,so it makes a seamless transition to ” ROSE” !!! Lastly if Mcgann returns I repeat his first words should be ” It’s about time”!

• Insert the “F” word in between about and time and I think you capture my feelings. I agree with you on everything except…I actually don’t want to see the 8th Doctor’s regeneration. Big Finish have said in the past….and I agree….that the fact that we never saw the 8th Doctor regenerate gives them so much more in the area of what they can do and take the 8th Doctor stories in. They are not locked into certain areas like they are with the other Doctors. They can give him an endless list of companions, change his looks, etc. I would kind of like to keep it that way. It is my dream to see Paul McGann play the Doctor on TV again. I wish the BBC would do a mini-series or an interregnum season with him.

• I don’t think money would be an issue with Paul. I bet he would do it for free if asked to come back. I really think he’d like to do it that much and I also know that Paul has done other things in the past for free also. I believe the film “Art Is” that is coming out just about now he either did for free or for a very, very small fee and also another one coming out very soon called “A Little Place Off the Edgeware Road” he also did for free. I’m wondering if Moffat is afraid that Paul McGann could potentially up stage Tennant and Smith as the Doctor…we couldn’t have that could we?!!! ;)

9. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

Eccleston and any other Doctors unable to appear I’m sure will be CGI’d in or feature in some way.

Anyway back to the article and YES MCGANN GET MCGANN YES GET MCGANN IN 50th YES MCGANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

You may not realise I’m a bit of an Eighth Doctor fan.

10. avatar lozzer says:

I really enjoy the 8th Doctor audio’s – I actually think if McGann had played the Doctor for an actual run of seasons he might have eclipsed Tom Bakers popularity. In my opinion he comes across as the most real and grounded Doctor – that might be his human half side… Listen to Dark Eyes, it’s fantastic and McGann is superb. I would be beyond thrilled if we saw the 8th Doctor on screen again, but sadly, I think Moffat probably thinks the general public would be confused and wonder who the hell he is. I hope I’m wrong – I think it would be the biggest and best treat the fans could have for the 50th anniversary, and Paul deserves another outing, even if he only has the smallest of roles.

• You know I’ve heard that excuse from so many sources that fans would be confused if they stuck the 8th Doctor in there. I don’t get this. Surely it would be hard….especially for Moffat if his truly is as great as everyone thinks…to explain who he is and how he fits?! I mean everyone knows that Matt is the 11th Doctor so it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that there must have been an 8th incarnation of him. Surely Doctor Who fans are more intelligent than this statement gives them credit? Maybe not? Anyway, I’m not attacking you for saying this so please don’t take it that way. it’s just that this statement bugs me every time I hear it.

Dark Eyes is really amazing and probably one of the audios that Paul is really at his best…although I think he is amazing at all of them. I wonder if Moffat is afraid that Paul would upstage Tennant and Smith? In my opinion I feel this could happen if Paul were to join them.

• I meant to type “surely it WOULDN’T be hard….especially for Moffat”

11. avatar John Shandler says:

The 8th Doctor is my favourite too. He HAS to come back for this. To not have him back would be disrespectful to the actor and to the fans. Make it happen Moffat. 10 and 11 just ain’t enough.

12. avatar FleebusMan says:

I don’t care about the 8th doctor, the tv movie was horrendous and he’s a big bland so what. Nobody would care other than 12 Big Finish junkies. John Hurt is proper 50th anniv star power, not that bloke off Withnail & I.