Doctor Who News Regeneration

Published on March 26th, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

The Sun’s Got it All Wrong!

You might say they had it coming. After all, it was a list based on the flimsiest of pretenses – but nonetheless The Sun, presenting the tallied and collated version of an indifferent shrug has announced the results of its poll to choose the next Doctor.

dw-regeneration10

With just 4,738 votes in total (unlike say, the 88,000 supporters of a campaign to end ‘Page 3’) and a majority boasting a slender lead of 23 per cent the winner was…

Benedict Cumberbatch.

If you think that’s a blindingly obvious choice given his involvement in Sherlock and the fact that he turned the roll down then check out who came second!

David Tennant.

The populist choices continue with James Corden – who appeared as Craig Owens in previous episodes — coming third in the poll, ahead of comedienne Miranda Hart (No!) and actor Laurence Fox.

dw-s6-closingtime-gall10

Again, there seems to be some perverse logic here that if you a) are an actor and b) have some association, no matter how tenuous, with the show then you should be considered – as if all the BBC does is play six degrees of separation to cast its roles.

Rounding out the list were The Sun’s own suggestions such as Helen Mirren, Rafe Spall, Alex Jennings and Sean Pertwee.

Interestingly, the bookies early favourite Rory Kinnear bagged only 1 per cent of the vote.

The website also mistakenly claim, ‘Matt Smith is set to leave’ – but let’s not let fact stand in the way of a cheap shot in the dark, eh?

Matt Smith as the Doctor in The Power of Three

Who should play the Doctor?

Well Matt Smith, obviously but if we are to play The Sun’s game, wouldn’t it be disingenuous to ignore the fact that Matt was relatively unknown at the time he became the Doctor and has won fans over by being the right choice of actor and not, through some bizarre logic only known to the bribetacular Sun, the ‘correct’ choice.

The only real thing you can take away from this list is that it seems there really isn’t a consensus on who should take over the role. Whether that is because the choices offered by The Sun were so poor in respects to their suitability or that Doctor Who fans are smart and won’t hedge their bets on a rumour and will let the professionals do their jobs (rather than sliding them a bung or two) and pick the right man.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to The Sun’s Got it All Wrong!

1. avatar Gareth Kavanagh says:

It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if we’re in for a new Doctor and showrunner after the Christmas special to be honest, with the 50th anniversary and Christmas special making a substantial 2 parter a la End of Time.

I certainly don’t see the need for a bit of gratuitous Sun bashing for what is actually a nice piece of ad-hoc research. A sample of 4000 is pretty similar to those deployed by the professional pollsters and it’s interesting to note the continued popularity of Tennant.

• avatar Bob James says:

It’s never wrong to bash the Sun. It isn’t fit to be toilet paper, anymore than US “publications” like the National Enquirer are. We wait for the official announcement, and for the actual event to happen, and then we know.

• avatar Paddy says:

I believe RT has Matt Smith saying he’s committed to the role through 2014, so no regeneration this year. And jolly good says I, Smith is the best Nu-Who Doctor yet for my money. Something I really didn’t expect I’d be saying when he was announced…

2. avatar TimeChaser says:

Its a good thing this isn’t how actors for the role are actually chosen. I prefer to leave it in the hands of the people who actually make the show. They haven’t made a bad choice yet.

• avatar Bob James says:

That is so true, and isn’t it remarkable? So many different producers/showrunners, and none of them have ever made a bad choice when it comes to casting the Doctor. A testament to the inherent power of Who. At any rate, I’m too busy enjoying and appreciating Matt to wonder who will be next……….

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Me too. By the time David had announced his departure, as much as I liked him, I was eager for something fresh. I wasn’t entirely happy with some of the directions RTD took. But (almost) three seasons in for Matt and I’m not ready for him to go yet.

3. avatar David says:

Your point in the article is well taken, but still…. I want Tilda Swinton to be the next Doctor!

4. avatar Ian says:

Although he turned the roll down, maybe he might reconsider, Benedict Cumberbatch. Or Damien Molony. But I hope Matt stays a bit longer!

• avatar TimeChaser says:

That’s actually a myth that Cumberbatch was asked first to play the Doctor after Tennant left but turned it down. I fell for it too when it first started circulating, but he’s stated that that’s not what happened.

5. avatar Kimberly layton says:

I think it us all speculations and not even going to happen in the near future. so let the show and the producers do what they do best, and let the decisions be made if and who they need to be made by the right people.

6. avatar drewboynton says:

I agree with the comment above, in that I am not tired of Matt Smith. Season 5 and 6 seemed like the Moffat team were finding their feet and now they are letting loose (even if we do have fewer episodes). We NEED to see how great Matt and JLC are going to be together, and NEED them together for a while longer!

• avatar BOJAY says:

I agree. We don’t yet know where the next eight episodes, or where the anniverary and Christmas specials are going to take The Doctor and Clara. But I would love to see an eighth series that continues to explore their relationship. Jenna has had some great writing, but on top of that she has just rocked the role. I can’t remember any other companion who has so instantly been so obsessively intriquing. She just had me from the very first moment she appeared, let alone spoke………….

7. avatar BOJAY says:

Incorrect spelling on anniversary……….

• We let you off, Bojay :D

8. avatar Andrew says:

You never take anything the Scum prints seriously. It’s readers are the lowest common denominators, therefore you cannot expect them to have any understanding of what goes into casting a major lead character.

• avatar Gareth Kavanagh says:

That is such an arrogant, prejudiced statement on so many levels. Would it surprise you to know that both myself and my partner read the Sun regularly. I’m not interested in their crude politics coverage, but instead enjoy the sport, humour and the showbiz angles. To me it’s a daily edition of Heat.

I certainly prefer it to the Mirror, which is no different in it’s journalistic rigour but because it follows a Labour dog whistle it’s OK by most people here, even though they printed a Colin Baker picture with JNT on their front page. Can you imagine the self righteous indignation if the Sun had done that? It’s a simple anti chav, anti poor sentiment that people are sub human because they dare to enjoy a paper that you don’t like. We also read the Times, the Guardian, the Independent, Heat and several other publications in our house. It’s my choice.

• avatar Francis Cave says:

Erm Gareth, I think you will find that The Sun DID print a picture of Colin Baker with JNT on the same day The Mirror did. In fact from memory it was the same picture, just smaller as they didn’t run the story as their main headline.

9. avatar Gareth Kavanagh says:

Fair enough Francis, my initial point still holds though.

• avatar francis cave says:

I did disagree with that as well but its a free country and you are entitled to read whatever you like,

Its just a pity its The Scum…..