Doctor Who ##

Published on February 11th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Ice Warrior Return Confirmed!

SFX Magazine has exclusively revealed the worst kept secret in Doctor Who fandom – the return of the Ice Warriors in Series 7b, after a break of almost 40 years!

##

In an episode written by Mark Gatiss (who seems to be incredibly busy of late!) the Martian monsters will be seen on board a submarine in (what is currently) episode three, directed by Douglas Mackinnon that also features the incomparable David Warner.

Speaking to SFX, executive producer Caro Skinner describes the episode:

“It’s a really wonderful kind of ‘bunker’ episode, and a classic monster which Mark has brought his own inimitable twist to.”

It seems also that Skinner is a bit of a fan of the reptiles.

“We wanted to bring them back because they’re wonderful! In the mix of stories that we were planning for this year it felt as if doing something very bold with a monster that hadn’t been seen for a while would be really cool. Mark is an enormous fan of the Ice Warrior stories and came up with the idea. The sense of a monster of that scale and that size trapped in a really small, contained environment such as a submarine was a really brilliant story to be able to tell. And obviously we’ve had a huge amount of fun going back to the traditional designs and recreating them, bringing the Ice Warriors back to life again.

The Ice Warriors’ background is simple – they’re Doctor Who‘s Martians, a race from a dead planet who often want to conquer Earth as their new home (such as in The Ice Warriors (1967) and The Seeds of Death (1969)). However, they have also been “friendly” (as opposed to the villain) such as in The Curse of Peladon (1972) and returned in The Monster of Peladon in 1974. As yet, we don’t know how far the original design will be updated. Ice Warriors have also appeared in the Eighth Doctor novel The Dying Days and in Stephen Baxter’s The Wheel of Ice.

“They were such a beautiful original design, and are genuinely really scary in terms of what they look like as they’re coming towards you in that armour. Letting a huge Ice Warrior loose at the heart of a classic Hunt For Red October style submarine movie was exactly the kind of story that the Doctor should get mixed up in. They’ve got really scary voices as well. I spent quite a lot of time on set trying to hiss like an Ice Warrior…

Something else to look forward to in our 50th anniversary year!

(Thanks to Ian)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Ice Warrior Return Confirmed!

1. avatar bradondo says:

This is good news, indeed! Not really unexpected, but certainly welcome. It makes the recent decision to release “The Ice Warriors” DVD with only the telesnap reconstructions rather than animation all the more frustrating. Still, I’m very happy they’re coming back. Now of only they’d bring back the Zygons… :D

2. avatar bradondo says:

Just one more thought–I think the Terileptils would be a great candidate for a reappearance. The Visitation wasn’t a great story, but a race who prize both artistic beauty and bloody warfare in equal measure is a concept worth digging into. Sadly they weren’t given much in the way of depth or ambiguity in their single appearance and their seemingly contradictory nature was stated (in a throwaway exchange) rather than explored. What think all you fellow hard core Who-Heads out there?

3. avatar castellanspandrel says:

Is that a modern-day Ice Warrior in the glass tank behind Clara in the Xmas special season preview clips? Maybe that’s one sans Ice Warrior helmet?

4. avatar castellanspandrel says:

The Terileptils wouldn’t send my pulse racing, Bradondo; not sure why, as in principle they’re interesting at least, for the reasons you mention.

The Zygons, however, would be decent, as long as they’re not saddled with a dull body swap romp.

I think the difference is in the basic design – that’s why I’d prefer one over the other, and also why I’m happy to see the Ice Warriors soon, assuming their design isn’t tampered with too much, though any improvements (teeth, and a glimpse of the face under the helmet) would be welcome.

5. avatar BOJAY says:

I agree that the Zygons would also make for a much deserved return. And as for the Ice Warriors, all I can say is YES, YES, YES!

6. avatar fractripro says:

This is unbelievable. After an entire article berating another site for a lack of spoiler warnings – which they had – you do this. Further you had the audacity to delete my posts at the time -which pointed out your lack of professionalism. WOW.

7. avatar FezMonster/Gruff says:

Wahey! Have got to get more Ice Warrior DVDs into my collection. They were a particular favourite when I use to get the Target Novelisations from my local library.

8. avatar TimeChaser says:

Well is another classic monster was bound to be revived, its no surprise it was the Ice Warriors. I’m interested to see how they’re integrated into a story set on a submarine. Maybe during the Cold War, a Russian sub under Arctic ice stumbles across them? I was already intrigued by the idea of a story set on a sub in the first place, but this adds a new dimension to it.

As for other classic monsters they should bring back, I’m with everyone who’s said Zygons. They really deserve to be seen on screen again, being one of the best one-off monsters of the classic series. I think the Krynoids would also make a good scary monster for the new series. Personally I’ve always wanted a revamp of the Tractators. I’ve often thought they could be made much scarier with a good redesign and a story that strays even more into “Tremors” territory.

9. avatar Gavin Noble says:

I say bring back The Krotons!

10. avatar CastellanSpandrel says:

Does this really count as a spoiler? By which I mean that it’s officially announced by the BBC, unlike, say, the Master’s return in Utopia.

No major plot details appear to have been leaked, only that the Ice Warriors are returning, just as it’s announced officially when Daleks/Cybermen return. You’d have to be living on the moon to not know when that happens.

Who knows? The name ‘Ice Warriors’ might even be in the title of the episode.

• avatar fractripro says:

As defined by this very site. Yes. Yes it is a spoiler.

• Everyone can read fractripro’s “contributions” in this post: http://www.kasterborous.com/2012/12/spoilers-the-childish-destruction-of-surprise/

He’s clearly been warned about the manner of his posting in the past. And is now banned.

Doctor Who sites have been sitting on the Ice Warriors story for MONTHS. To have it confirmed is akin to being told that the sky is blue as a child. You know it’s there, you just don’t know how to describe it.

The real spoiler is the design of the Ice Warriors, not confirmation of something that has been speculated on and hinted at by the cast for over six months.

11. avatar Gareth says:

I just hope the design stays very close to the original. Ideally they should not change the look of them or the Zygons if they were to return as they both looked wonderful in the classic series.

I don’t like the new Moffat Silurians as for those awful Telebubby Daleks …. Don’t get me started 😝