Doctor Who News New Doctor Who companion Jenna-Louise Coleman

Published on January 23rd, 2013 | by Meredith Burdett

A Short-Term Future for Clara?

Now, this is interesting…

A newsletter from Popbitch recently mentioned a couple of celebrity names that are said to be on a “wishlist” to appear in the next series of Strictly Come Dancing; one of the names that is said to be close to confirming is Jenna Louise-Coleman. Now what on earth could she be doing on a show like that?

New Doctor Who companion Jenna-Louise Coleman

New Doctor Who companion Jenna-Louise Coleman

Because if Coleman is to appear on Strictly towards the end of the year, it may mean that she’s too busy to film the next series of Doctor Who – or that she might not even be in it.

At this point, there are many variables. The Doctor Who production team could be moving the filming dates to early 2014 for a later start for production of Doctor Who Series 8. They could have given Coleman the time off so that she could take part in Strictly Come Dancing and Doctor Who. It could well be that Coleman might not even be appearing in Strictly Come Dancing at all, and this is just a wild rumour. But then again, Popbitch does have some pretty good sources…

Now before you all dismiss this article as tripe or rhubarb or balderdash or poppycock, bear in mind that we’ve heard that Clara Oswald won’t be making an appearance in the Doctor Who Magazine comic strip due to “her story”. Quite what that means, is anyone’s guess but maybe Mr Moffat has decided that companions are only for Christmas and not just for life…

Tags: , , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

9 Responses to A Short-Term Future for Clara?

1. avatar daniel says:

I dont think J-L-C will be in it for as long as KG and AD. I think the story will probably run until Matt leaves.

But shes an actress and i dont see her heading for that kind of show.

Shes on my wishlist…but doesnt mean she will appear on me!

2. avatar Drew says:

What a huge mistake this would be. Oswin/Clara is already more fun and likeable than Amy and Rory ever were. If Moffat has decided that JLC will only be on the show for a short time, then he would be miscalculating how popular of a companion she might become. I have to say, with these rumors, added to the underwhelming 50th Aninniversary plans, really has me feeling bummed and disappointed.

• avatar Brittney says:

Rory and Amy were beloved companions. I think quite a few fans can agree with me there. Now, I think Jenna’s character has promise, too, but I don’t think what we’ve seen of her is enough to compare to all the wonderful stuff Amy and Rory did. They will be missed.

3. avatar Shadowfather says:

I have absolutely no love lost for live audience fundraisers because, to be honest, that’s all they really are. Shows obviously never earn enough in DVD/Blu-Ray sales or viewing figures to keep going without them… doesn’t mean I have to watch them.

If JLC appears on that I think it will be a huge death-nail to her role on Doctor Who, especially after all the hype the studio has conveyed. But if she wants to shoot her career in the foot, then maybe she shouldn’t have even been in the show at all.

4. avatar stlshawn says:

I don’t know if bbc knows when they are filming, what they are filming, who’s going to be there, what people want, or even what day it is.

Really, If i were an actor, i would love to do Doctor Who, but how would you possibly schedule your life around “maybe filming for four months” or “maybe filming for 9 months this year,, at some point,, possibly”. Seriously, does not seem like a great way to run an organization.

5. avatar Al says:

I find it hard to believe that actors drop everything when they do a show like SCD, otherwise how did Barrowman have the time. It’s all panic about nothing. And I don’t read anything into the comic strip thing either since we know now that Clara is in at least one of the novels coming out in April. Not to say Clara might not have a specific, finite arc. I fail to see what is bad about that, if the story works.

6. avatar Elizabeth says:

Matt Smith is taking a three month hiatus to do a film in the U.S.. I heard that JLC was looking for something to fill in the gap time for herself. Maybe this is what she found.

7. avatar Jean Gardner says:

I think Clara is the worst companion ever…Coleman is a beautiful lady, but not a seasoned actress as the previous actors. I will miss Matt…the best of the actors to play Dr Who.

• avatar kittenfun says:

i agree, clara is not the best companion, i love amy and rory