Doctor Who News tl3-news3

Published on March 27th, 2012 | by Christian Cawley

Charity Time Leech!

For various reasons we’ve been sitting on this one for a while, but thanks to the seemingly endless stream of emails asking “when are you going to publish Time Leech?” we reckon we’ve come to the best conclusion.

We suspect the main reason behind these questions is the original printed strip that appeared in the Vworp Vworp! fanzine back in 2009 presented readers with a nice new adventure that until recently could only be enjoyed on Kasterborous. The problem, of course, is that many readers own the first part in print – a physical, tangible product – whereas the second and third installments are digital only.

You may recall that the first Time Leech adventure saw the Tenth Doctor landing in a London where Churchill was Prime Minister, Silurians and Elizabethans rubbed shoulders (seriously, two years before The Wedding of River Song!) and the epicentre was a giant Time Leech in the middle of eating Westminster Abbey.

Following this, the Doctor and his mysterious new companion Ruth headed into space in Hellstar, where they found a deserted prison ship, empty bar a monster and a recovery crew… but they held a terrible secret that no one could have possibly guessed.

The final part, Time Bomb, saw the discovery of a giant Time Lord weapon materializing on Earth. Naturally only the Doctor can prevent detonation, but someone else is interested in the device…

Due to licensing restrictions, we can’t publish and request payment for our three-part Doctor Who strip by Christian Cawley, Brian Terranova, Justin Abbot, Rick Lundeen and Colin Brockhurst (with advice from former DWM chief John Freeman) as it would get us into trouble with the BBC.

And we don’t want that to happen!

However there is a way around this. We’ve always been big fans of helping out charities, so given the wonderful creative and philanthropic nature of the Time Leech strip, we wondered: could a published version of this 33 page adventure be arranged, with the intention of raising money?

So, after lots of umming and ahhing, this is what we’re going to do!

There will be two targets for the raised funds: Children in Need and AICR (Association for International Cancer Research).

There are two ways to purchase Time Leech. First, there is the print version, available for £4.99 plus P&P in the UK or £10.99 plus P&P for international orders.

The second choice is the entire adventure in PDF, available for 99p. (We also have a second electronic format, CBR, available. If you require CBR, let us know when you checkout.)

Here’s the option for the eBook:

TIME LEECH IS NOW UNAVAILABLE

We’ll be running this for the next 8 months until Children in Need. On that day the funds will be split 50-50 and shared between the two charities!

Thanks to all of you for your continued interest in the Time Leech strip – now, let’s raise some money!

Update:

All PDF/CBR copies are sent the same day, via email. If you haven’t received yours yet, please check your spam folder. Any problems, drop me a line: christian@kasterborous.com.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

39 Responses to Charity Time Leech!

1. avatar kopicbloodaxe says:

I’ve ordered my print copy! It is for charity, after all, and is an entertaining tale, to boot! :)

2. avatar Bryan Simcott says:

Wow £4.99 in postage seems very good value (or a bit cheap) what with the price rises coming sooner than later for mail.

hope the charities get a good cut but i cant see them getting much after printing costs.

anyways ordered

• Don’t worry Bryan, we’ve got a good deal on the printing :)

• avatar Ben Clark says:

Hello there! I bought the digital copy this weekend via paypal… have I missed a link that popped up to download it or should I be getting an email? Not sure where i’m supposed to download from! :)

• Hi Ben

Please check your email, where you will find an answer to your question!

3. Pingback: Self-Publishing Project to Raise Money for CharityChristian Cawley

4. avatar Bryan Simcott says:

Hi All

When is this being released. I cant remember for the life of me if it was MAy 2012 or September 2012. ive looked about the place but cant find a publication date. Sorry if I`m Being thick (it wont be the first time)

• Hi Bryan

The current aim is for the electronic version to be completed mid April, with the print version coming a month later. Sales will end in November – forever.

5. avatar Bryan Simcott says:

Thanks Christian . Ive ordered the print version when it was first announced. Really looking forward to this .

6. avatar Sabrina says:

Hi! I just purchased the ebook. Will it get sent to my email, then?

7. avatar Sabrina says:

OK, I could have waited five more minutes. It looks really cool. And this was written before The Wedding of River Song, I’m guessing?

• Hi Sabrina

Glad you like it!

The first part – the first 9 pages – appeared first in Vworp Vworp #1, released in 2010: http://www.colinbrockhurst.co.uk/vworpvworp/?p=244

Funny old world, eh…?

8. avatar Charlie says:

Hi,

Really looking forward to this, just ordered a print copy, but when will it arrive in the post? JUST SO EXCITED TO READ THIS!

Best Wishes,

Charlie

• Hi Charlie – copies will be despatched in the second half of May. I’m expecting the proof next week, and then we’ll be working through the orders.

9. avatar Andrew says:

Will the physical version be regular comic book size or magazine size?

• Hi Andrew

Depends on which proof I like best :)

10. Pingback: Doctor Who @ BBC – Time Leech, Doctor Who comics for charity news Doctor Who from BBC, info about episodes, fans’ opinions and ideas

11. avatar Marina says:

Hello!
    Any new updates on when will the printed version be ready?
    I’m really looking forward to it!

• Hi Marina

We’re currently awaiting the proofs, and an update will be issued this weekend to all purchasers with the current time scale. I’m hoping that at the very least the first dozen or so orders should be completed by the end of the month, but i’ll know more next week.

12. avatar Judith Read says:

I’m really excited to read a new episode of the tenth doctor, I’m really looking forward to it. I know I might be a bit thick (doesn’t take a lot these days!) but I missed all the instalments up to now. Is there any way of getting those now or have I missed the boat, as it were?

• Hi Judith

This is a one off print run of the instalments previously released online (with the exception of part one) so you haven’t really missed anything yet :)

13. avatar Judith Read says:

Thanks for the reply about Time Leech. Is there any chance of getting part one please?

• Part one was sadly only available in print in issue 1 of the Vworp Vworp fanzine, which is one of the reasons why we’ve compiled all three parts here for this special cause.

14. avatar Bryan Simcott says:

Hi All

I am proably being very very Dim but I got an email regarding the status of the print version.

but didnt understand fully the implications.

Ive bought the £4.99 print version but this email says the printers have let you down and a new printer is being found ? (hope ive got that right) then we might have to pay more as it might be more expensive to get the print version you are now working on.?

am i even close ? I`m not sure if I was being told to get the download version instead ?

sorry if i have mis understood but I have read it a couple of times over the past day or so and am not sure exactly what i am supposed to do.

best wishes Bryan

• hi Bryan

No you won’t have to pay more. I’m going to make the difference and offer some different options closer to CiN to bump up the fundraising.

There will be the option of donating more later on, but in the meantime stand fast, you’re good :)

15. avatar Judith Read says:

Hi Christian, I’m probably getting worried for nothing, but I’ve ordered Time Leech and haven’t got my copy yet and it’s now the middle of June. Is there a problem or are you just maxxed out so much with orders that it’s taking this long to process them all? Could you be kind enough to drop me a line to let me know where you’re up to please?

Many thanks
    Judith

• Hi Judith

I shall email you very shortly!

16. avatar Brian says:

Hello Christian, I was wondering if there was a delay on the print version of Time Leech. I realize that shipments to the USA may take longer, but its been quite a while since I ordered my copy. If you could get back to me, that would be great.

• Hi Brian

You should have received a couple of emails over the past day or so – let me know if not :)

17. avatar Andrew says:

So how did this all work out? Are the printed versions available now? Are they comic or magazine size?

• Hi Andrew

Please see http://www.kasterborous.com/2012/06/the-time-leech-arrives/ for further details. Comics are currently being dispatched.

18. avatar Andrew says:

Christian,

Thanks. Missed that page! Great news and nice to see it printed up.

Now to wait for the backlog to clear.

Thanks again!

19. avatar Judith Read says:

Dear Christian,
    It’s been a long time now since I ordered Time Leech and I just want to make sure that I AM going to get a copy. I just wanted to know if they have arrived yet and how long you think it will take you to get through the backlog.
    Many thanks
    Judith

• Hi Judith

The majority of copies have been dispatched. Please keep an eye on your post box :)

Also, please note that emailing is preferred for queries, as comments can go unnoticed for some days.

20. avatar bryan simcott says:

Got my Copy this morning . Lovely lovely lovely and Stunning thanks so much for all the Hard Work and love and Labour that went into this.

Quick Question. Why does part three not have a title caption or artist acreditation box out like 1 and 2 ? I`d never noticed before , funny the things you notice in print.

Did I say it looks lovely and stunning by the way

• Great news Brian, glad to hear it’s arrived.

I think the answer is basically that Rick Lundeen and I didn’t notice at the time. Rick was working under pressure to get the piece finished, but the buck stops right here. I hold my hands up!

21. avatar Neil Kenny says:

Hi,
    I did order when you had still had print issues left (7th October) and haven’t seen anything yet in the post.
    have I been missed or has something gone wrong?
    Thanks
    Neil

• Hi Neil

You *should* receive your copy shortly, I’ve had to have a few extra copies printed to make up the difference between orders coming in and copies going out (my own fault :s) apologies for the delay

22. Pingback: Charity Release For Tenth Doctor Comic Strip | David Tennant News By DT Forum