Merchandise Doctor Who: The Daemons on DVD

Published on January 10th, 2012 | by Andrew Reynolds

The Dæmons on DVD!

Doctor Who: The Daemons on DVD, released March 2012Being summoned onto DVD this March is the classic Third Doctor serial The Daemons, which is either a beacon of joy for everything that was good and proper about Barry Letts’ approach to Doctor Who or a hate magnet for those opposed to the changes to the show under his watch.

That argument Jenkins: Five Rounds Rapid!

Lets not constrict everything like the heat barrier around Devil’s End and instead thank “He Whose Name Wasn’t Allowed to be Mentioned During this Serial” and focus on those fabulous DVD extras – coming your way are:

• Commentary
The Devil Rides Out: Cast and crew talk about the making of the story.
Remembering Barry Letts: A look at the life and work of Barry Letts.
Location Film: A mute amateur 8mm film shot in the village of Aldbourne during the location filming.
Colourisation Test: The original colourisation test version of episode one from 1992.
Tomorrow’s World: An article on the technology used in the restoration.
Radio Times listings
• Programme subtitles
• Production information subtitles
• Photo gallery
• Coming soon trailer
• Digitally remastered picture and sound quality

The Dæmons is available to pre-order on Amazon for £13.99 and is set to be released on the 26th March.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to The Dæmons on DVD!

1. Andrew says:

Why no the “Return to Devils End” doc they did in 1992?

• gavinio says:

Copyright issues as it was not produced by the BBC. If memory serves me it was a Bill Baggs production so his company hold the rights.

2. Rick Lundeen says:

“or a hate magnet for those opposed to the changes to the show under his watch.” ???

It’s comments like these that make me thankful I didn’t grow up in the UK—I’ve never heard a bad thing about the Pertwee era regarding Barry’s changes to the show—I know it was an incredibly popular era up until that point in the show’s history. Although I can also understand that hard core Troughton/monster era fans might have been dismayed at the time.

The Daemons was one of the very best of the entire era, as far as I’m concerned and I’m eagerly anticipating it finally getting released over here as well.

3. Anthony says:

Hi Rick. I grew up down under, but from what I gather, the Barry Letts-Terrance Dicks era went through firstly a big love-in phase (where all and sundry thought it could do no wrong), to a rather radical re-assessment of the era in the light of its many flaws (bad CSO, dodgy effects such as dinosaurs etc, and repetitive plotting). I have to say I agree – the Letts-Dicks era is warm and fuzzy, but often its disappointing. I would say only 65-70% of the stories after season 7 are actually any good. Its about seeing them objectively, rather than through the rose-tint of nostalgia.

4. DaneH says:

To be fair I would only say its a minority of fans (who are uite vocal about it) that downgrade the Pertwee era, it is certanly remembered by the general public as one of the best eras and among fandom it is really compared to most of the others – the lack of DVD releases in the early DVD days didn’t help this reputation.

5. castellanspandrel says:

Re: the Letts-Dicks era, I remember in the early to mid 80s that it was still generally perceived in fandom as the ‘heights’ of Who. If memory serves, the winner of the DWAS poll for best ever story at that time (albeit restricted by only being able to vote for 1 story from each season) was the Daemons.

Perceptions of this story, of Pertwee’s Dr and of the era itself are less kind nowadays, but I still love all the above, as JP was my first Dr. I agree with you, Anthony, however when you mention the rose-tint of nostalgia. I know that my enjoyment of most of the stories now is based on my nostalgia for the early 70s and the Pertwee era of Who in particular; I can see the flaws but tend to ‘edit them out’ to suit myself.

I don’t buy all the DVD releases but this one is a must, not least for Roger Delgado’s masterly turn – ” A rationalist, existentialist priest!” – and for the brilliant guest character, Ms Hawthorne.

6. TonyS says:

I remember watching “The Daemons” as a ten-year old and enjoying it immensely but thinking it might have done with some trimming. Watching it as a so-called grown-up, I think it is the right length.

It has long been perceived as the perfect outing for the UNIT family and the cast and crew have very fond memories of it. The other side of the coin is that it is completely self-indulgent and nowehere near as good as memory says it is.

Myself, I suspect that we will find that it IS nearly as good as we thought it was.