Doctor Who News no image

Published on September 22nd, 2011 | by Andrew Reynolds

Tennant in Jinsy!

David Tennant preened and pranced his way though Monday’s episode of Sky Atlantic’s new series This is Jinsy as the show found its new home after a “failed” BBC pilot.

The gist of this surrealistic new comedy series is this; the sparsely populated island of Jinsy, governed by Arbiter Maven (played by co-writer/creator Justin Chubb) -  with soothsaying nasal hair – who along with Operative Sporall (played by his fellow co-writer/creator Chris Bran) as they watch over the 791 residence, using the a surveillance system of Tessellators, from the Great Tower in the parish of Veen.

Confused? Don’t worry. The show is unlike anything on TV at the moment; it’s part The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, part The League of Gentleman.

In the first episode of the series “Wedding Lottery”, Tennant plays Mr. Slightyman, an outrageously camp wedding planner with a penchant for plastic surgery who sadly only appears in one of the eight episodes helmed by Psychoville series director Matt Lipsey.

For more clips and an even greater overview of the craziness on show head over to The British Comedy Guide.

The first episode “Wedding Lottery” – featuring David Tennant – will be repeated on Sky Atlantic on Friday 23rd September at 23:30pm.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to Tennant in Jinsy!

1. Juliet says:

“Reprising his role from the BBC pilot” — David Tennant was not in the pilot??

• Thanks Juliet, I think the edit should sort that out!

2. ChrisL says:

I can understand the comparison you make with “The League of Gentlemen”, there is a very similar feel to the show, but I don’t see any similarities with H2G2 at all.
    I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that I personally can’t make out anything in Jinsy that could be likened to Douglas Adams’ masterpiece.

Never mind though ‘cos “This is Jinsy” is brilliant in it’s own right and David Tennant was magnificent as Mr. Slightyman, absolutely magnificent! It’s a pity that his appearance was only a one-off because I would love to see him continue in this role.

Could somebody confirm that Tennant was one of the singers who performed the “Licky, Licky” song?
    I’m convinced he was but others have insisted otherwise.

Anyway, yeah, loved it :-)

• I wonder if Andy was referring to the dialogue? There are parallels there, along with the oddness of scifi props appearing in otherwise mundane settings.

• ChrisL says:

Hmm, yeah I suppose there might be slight similarities in the dialogue, only very slight but yeah ok, I’ll concede that.
        Perhaps you’re referring to the dreadful movie of H2G2 which I only endured once and so I’m not familiar with the dialogue in that as much as I am with the Radio, TV, and written versions.

Would I be correct in assuming that the author meant to write ‘residents’ and not ‘residence’?

• Barry says:

I can feel similarities to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in the form of the advertisements that keep popping up on the Tesseract which give interesting/useful/amusing background information like Adams used to do with the device of inserting smippets from the hitchhikers guide into/outside of the narrative.

3. farsighted99 says:

ChrisL – I don’t think that was Tennant, that singer didn’t have David’s trademark raised left eyebrow and crooked nose that I’ve stared at way too much longer than I should have. :)

I thought This is Jintsy was hilarious, but very, very weird. Not everyone’s cup of tea. However, Tennant was great in it. Not his usual role. Hahaha. And I loved the “Licky Licky” song…

• ChrisL says:

Yeah, after having watched it a few times now, I agree with you that it isn’t David Tennant performing the Licky Licky song.

Also, after having watched the show a few times, I find myself loving it more and more. It’s destined to become a legendary programme, I have absolutely no doubt about it.

4. Heidie says:

David Tennant- Great doing any crazy thing!