Doctor Who no image

Published on August 24th, 2010 | by Andrew Reynolds

Smith To Stay On As The Doctor?

Matt Smith looks set to plant his Doctor’s signature on a new deal to keep playing the time hopping traveller till at least the show’s 50th Anniversary in three years time.

BBC execs have said plans are afoot to sign the 27 year-old up until 2013.

Doctor Who star Matt Smith commits to 2013?One shadowy insider said:

“The current team believe that Matt is the person to continue taking the show forward over the next few years and want to avoid the prospect of fans having to get used to yet another actor in the role in the near future.”

Smith has apparently made it clear to producers that he is keen to commit himself to the role which can mean one of two things depending on how much you hate the BBC:

One, he actually is keen to sign and its great news for all considering just how much he’s grown into the role and potentially how much further he can take it or Two,  (and this depends on whether or not you read the Daily Mail) he’s just negotiating a huge salary rise in another frivolous bit of over-spending from those moronic BBC execs wasting our precious pounds! Disband it now!

A spokesperson for the BBC has commented:

“From Matt’s point of view he’s loving playing the part and has no plans to quit. We aren’t in a position to provide a comment as to whether he’ll be playing the part in 2013.”

So should he stay or should he go… comments below.

(via Daily Express)

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to Smith To Stay On As The Doctor?

1. avatar Leosw4 says:

He should stay!!!!!

I would love to see him stay in the role for a number of years-I feel he has the potential to be the greatest Doctor yet (too early for me to award him that title), but he has such charisma and reminds me so much of the old series Doctors its quite bizzare.

This is not knocking Tennant or Eccleston, but he is so much the Time Lord I grew up with, which did’nt always feel that way with number 10!

2. avatar Carn says:

i agree. while i liked the tenth he often didn’t come across to me as the doctor at times. maybe i just found it harder to relate to him. the eleventh is certainly much more my kind of doctor. Hope Smith stays on as long as he feels happy in playing the role.

3. avatar IanOTimelord says:

Stay!! I was watching him today in The Hungry Earth and hes just amazing. Really how the Dr should be alien!
    DT was good, but far too human.

4. avatar bluebox444 says:

Oh, please, please, stay. That would be fabulous. Three more years of Eleven! That would be even longer than DT’s tenure. And I agree with IanOTimelord – if the Tenth Doctor had a fault, it was that he skimped on the “alien” side of the Doctor’s character. I love Matt’s quirky, bumbling, socially inept take on the Doctor, and I’m looking forward to enjoying it for several more years to come.

5. avatar Carn says:

weird. i actually used the words ‘alien’ and ‘human’ in a sentence of my post but it’s not there. nor is the sentence i wrote about being much more socially awkward. i’m pretty ill tonight so maybe I accidentally deleted it without realising. very odd.

6. avatar Jez Noir says:

But can they keep Moffat that long? He may be the harder man to replace…

7. avatar Rick714 says:

Moffat will stay for 5 years as RTD did, for five years, right up to the 50th anniversary along with Smith and we’ll see the Doctor’s wedding to River Song.

Count on it. I was thinking that that’s the way it was going to go but the above news item cements it.

8. avatar lowiczanka says:

It took me awhile to warm up to the 11th Doctor because I loved David Tennant so much (and Christopher Eccleston), but Matt Smith has won my respect.
    I certainly hope he will stick around for as long as Steven Moffat (who, by the way, is my favorite Who writer, though I wasn’t happy with most of the 5th series).
    Don’t forget that the Doctor can regenrate only 2 more times, then the series has to end forever !!!!
    So, we need to keep these Doctors around longer !!
    Please read my Doctor Who blogs:
    for more on this subject.

9. avatar Carn says:

you found the Eleventh Hour disappointing? I thought it was fantastic personally. A lot better than most of the Davies/Tennant run.

And who says the Doctor can only regenerate 2 more times? The Master has had more regenerations and inhabited at least two known non-Timelord bodies on screen (the Trakenite body of Tremas for near a decade, and the human paramedic in the 8th Doc tv movie). Am sure when the time comes and Doctor Who’s still popular they’ll write something. The Doctor’s earnt more life times than the Master has surely.

10. avatar Leosw4 says:

The twelve time regeneration limit has not been a problem since the Deadly Assasin in 1976!

The Master had reached the end of his life at that point but was on Gallifrey seeking to obtain a new cycle of 12 regenerations.

He failed in that attempt and as Carn has pointed out, took possesion of other bodies in the event, until the Time Lords ‘restored’ him to fight in the Time War-at during some point he fled the Cucible (?) and regenerated in the the Derek Jacobi version (fob watch and all), although as a baby-find this aspect fascinating-love to see it explored one day. He then became the Simm version.

The Doctor therefore has nothing to worry about-and neither do we!!!

The Eleventh Hour was the best first story (IMO) of a new Doctor’s introduction certainly since Pertwee took over. Robot is good fun but nothing special, The Christmas Invasion is likewise, Castrolvalva is too heavy and the Twin Dilemma is just terrible.I did’nt watch when Slyvester took over.

11. avatar Sol 3 Native says:

The Time Lord’s resurrection of the Master (as well as the othe examples Leosw4 and Carn mention)suggests that the 12 regeneration limit is their law rather than a physical law (much like the rules about messing with time). It’ll have to be addressed but it’s not insurmountable.

As someone who discovered the show during Ten’s era there is no-one more than Matt Smith who I would rather see in the 50th anniversary episode.

12. avatar Lazarus77 says:

I can’t remember where I read the quote but Moffat said that a writer friend of his gave him a great idea for how to extend the Doctor’s life. That tells me that he’s been thinking about making sure that the show can last longer than the 13 bodies we anticipate AND that possibly he’s cooking up something huge for the 50th. Personally, I’d prefer it if the Doctor got his new lease on life BEFORE his final incarnation. It would seem like less of a deux ex at that point.

13. avatar lowiczanka says:

Is it a renewal, a change of appearance, reincarnation? What does it mean when the Doctor Regenerates? Read more in my blog. (if you already read it on my secondary blog site, there are some additions.)