News no image

Published on June 10th, 2010 | by Christian Cawley

Gillan Sees Awards Spat

Former Doctor Who companion Billie Piper won UK TV actress of the year for her popular ITV 2 series Secret Diary Of A Call Girl at the Glamour Awards this week.

Also of interest to Doctor Who fans should be the Man of the Year award – won by Aaron Johnson (John Lennon in the film Nowhere Boy) the award was presented by current Doctor Who companion Karen Gillan.

However something that won’t endear the already divisive James Corden to Doctor Who fans ahead of The Lodger is his hateful on-stage spat with Sir Patrick Stewart, which took place at the same awards.

We’ve got a clip below – it’s pretty uncomfortable to say the least…

…not to mention disrespectful. The fat one appears in Doctor Who (The Lodger) this Saturday night on BBC One and BBC HD at 6.45pm

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Gillan Sees Awards Spat

1. avatar Leosw4 says:

I wont watch this clip.I know the background.

Cant stand Corden, man of the moment, and I do mean ‘moment’, at the best of times and have no desire to see Jean Luc insulted by such a non entity.

No doubt his appearance this weekend in the Lodger will add to his already inflated……ego.

2. avatar Christian Cawley says:

This certainly makes you think – a few months ago we slated Corden and his casting and got quite a few emails in response.

Then you see him behaving like this and it makes you wonder why he’s even working. Evidently he can act a bit, and apparently can write. Perhaps he should stick to those instead of making personal appearances?

Worse still, he’s on terrestrial TV permanently for the next month.

3. avatar Carn says:

I don’t even really care who started it or what happened. At least Stewarts made a heck of lot more entertaining work both on screen and stage and is actually good at something whereas I can’t even bear seeing that talentless Corden’s smug stupid face on tv. Crap vampire ‘comedy’ film (which just made me appreciate the genius of Shaun of the Dead even more, written by actual funny people that), crap sketch show and it seems I just don’t ‘get’ Gavin & Stacey which bores me like crazy.

Wouldn’t bother me much that he’s on TV loads this month or so because I don’t watch much and have no interest in football but why’s he gotta be in the one show I do love to bits? Thankfully it should just be the one episode unless something truly horrible happens and he becomes a regular companion on something… i shuddered then even just thinking that

4. avatar bluebox444 says:

Boy, what a jerk. I can’t believe he had the gall to be so disrespectful to a 69-year-old man; let alone a man of such distinction. And on stage, too. Stewart had every right to criticise him in the first place – his attitude was completely out of line.

5. avatar Bow Ties Are Cool says:

Woah, fellas! I’m hardly a fan of Corden’s, and Pat Stewart is obviously a fantastic actor.

But Picard started it! He tried to lecture the guy on stage in front audience of god knows how many people! Of course Corden’s gonna fight back!

Never try to insult a comedy writer in front of a crowd. They write insults for a living. They’ll always win.

6. avatar Andrew Reynolds says:

They’re not exactly zingers though are they? They’re more like schoolyard barbs. Neither man did themselves any favours.

7. avatar bluebox444 says:

Re: Bow Ties Are Cool – That’s actually a good point.

8. avatar Paul Cavanagh says:

I’m no fan of Corden (especially not in Gavin & Stacy, whose appeal completely eludes me), but it appears to me that his current exposure has got the better of him. I would hope that he is regretting the incident now, and it would behove him to issue an apology. Patrick Stewart may have acted inappropriately, but given his talent and experience, he didn’t deserve the response he received at the hands of some upstart. I was dismayed at learning of Corden’s casting, but I’m happy to keep an open mind. But expect a good old rant if he lets us down.