Such is the success of The Companion Chronicles – in which former Doctor Who companions narrate new adventures featuring them and (usually) the Doctor, Big Finish have announced a fourth series of the audio plays.
The series returns in July with Simon Guerrier’s The Drowned World which is a direct sequel to the earlier Home Truths, and sees Jean Marsh return as Sara Kingdom.
“The response to Home Truths was sensational,” says series producer David Richardson. “I’d always hoped we would make a follow-up story, and Simon sent me a number of suggestions. He detailed a few new different ways of resurrecting Sara Kingdom, but I felt that we’d already found a window back to the character, and it was one that was worth exploring further. So those who enjoyed the first story should be delighted with this sequel.”
Following that, the schedule is as follows:
- August – The Glorious Revolution by Jonathan Morris. The TARDIS materializes in the year 1688, where Jamie discovers a political situation that will have grave repercussions for his own time… Frazer Hines returns as Jamie McCrimmon
- September – this release remains untitled for now, with Big Finish only saying: “It will be a Third Doctor story that sees the return of a popular guest character from the era.”
- October – The wonderful Lalla Ward is back as The Cholarian Effect, which sees the TARDIS travellers meet a race searching the cosmos for a mythical figure from their own history – the Doctor himself.
- November – Ringpullworld is by Paul Magrs and stars Mark Strickson as Turlough.
- January 2010 – Lisa Bowerman is Bernice Summerfield once again in this as-yet unnamed release.