Jekyll

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #39561

    Anonymous

    Has no-one else been watching this on Saturday nights (about 15 mins after Confidential finishes/finished?&nbsp; <!– s;) –><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif" alt=";)" title="Wink" /><!– s;) –>

    Really clever and sometimes scary, modern telling of the Jekyll and Hyde story. James Nesbitt is great and convincing as both the good and the bad side. I never liked him before, but now I think he could be the next Dr!

    And Steven Moffat’s scripts so far have been as good as his Who scripts. Very witty and clever.

    Sample dialogue:

    (After Hyde has mutilated a man and carried him into hospital wrapped up in a bloodied sheet)

    NURSE: What’s that?

    HYDE: I’d call him ‘front of the queue.’

    At least something decent will still be on telly for the next few Sat nights (but not this week because of another f88king bore-athon live gig that goes on for hours and hours and hours and features the same old same old…)

    #90710

    Anonymous
    &quot;CastellanSpandrel&quot;:xwa40t3c wrote:
    Has no-one else been watching this on Saturday nights (about 15 mins after Confidential finishes/finished?&nbsp; <!– s;) –><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif" alt=";)" title="Wink" /><!– s;) –>

    Really clever and sometimes scary, modern telling of the Jekyll and Hyde story. James Nesbitt is great and convincing as both the good and the bad side. I never liked him before, but now I think he could be the next Dr!

    And Steven Moffat’s scripts so far have been as good as his Who scripts. Very witty and clever.

    Sample dialogue:

    (After Hyde has mutilated a man and carried him into hospital wrapped up in a bloodied sheet)

    NURSE: What’s that?

    HYDE: I’d call him ‘front of the queue.’

    At least something decent will still be on telly for the next few Sat nights (but not this week because of another f88king bore-athon live gig that goes on for hours and hours and hours and features the same old same old…)
    [/quote:xwa40t3c]

    I agree with you. After finding its feet in the first episode it’s really taken off. And it’s the difference between bare cold Saturday night TV schedules and some enjoyment.

    Unfortunately there are only three episodes left.&nbsp; <!– s:( –><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif" alt=":(" title="Sad" /><!– s:( –>

    #90724

    Anonymous

    Hi Jess

    I agree – I’m sick fed up with the Sat night entertainment schedules apart from Who and Jekyll.

    Do you reckon they could stretch it to another series, or is one enough?

    I ask this without knowing what happens to Jackman at the end of this series.

    #90750

    Anonymous

    I’ve missed this one can anyone help?

    Regards

    Nhoj

    #90764

    Anonymous

    El Nhojarino

    (God, I love that!)

    The series only has 3 episodes left, all 6 eps are coming out on DVD in August after it ends on TV.

    It’s a very modern take on Jekyll and Hyde, more like Spooks in style than an old Victorian horror story.

    Dr Tom Jackman (the Henry Jekyll character) is transformed into ‘Hyde’ his evil alter ego, usually at inconvenient moments. When he changes back, he can never remember what he did when he was Hyde, usually after he wakes up in some strange places( memorably, in the last episode, with blood on him and a key in his hand; the episode involved Jackman gradually remembering each part of what had happened). He leaves recorded messages for Hyde and tries to strike bargains with him. He’s terrified in case Hyde finds out where his wife and kids live and harms them.

    A secret and powerful organisation knows all about Hyde and wants to snare him for its own purposes. Hyde has already killed some of its operatives – he has incredible strength and agility (this was demonstrated in a great scene set in a lion enclosure at the zoo!)

    Jackman’s condition hasn’t really been explained yet. It transpires that RL Stevenson’s book was based on a real man – Jekyll – but that Jackman isn’t his descendant.

    I don’t want to say much more in case you get around to watching the whole thing. You might be better off catching a repeat (if there is one) or getting hold of the DVD to catch it in its entirety, as it’ll make more sense if you watch it from scratch. It doesn’t seem to have received much press or public attention, and the few reviews I’ve read have been slightly unkind (not that that would bother you and why should it?)

    Regards

    Spandocaster

    #90808

    Anonymous

    Thanks Mr ‘Caster

    I’ve read the original novel of course… I’ve even ran an RPG scenario based on the character.&nbsp; I love 19th C Gothic fiction…. Dracula, Frankenstein et al

    I was a bit worried about a modern interpretation – but with your recommendation I will endeavour to catch the whole story

    Thanks!

    Yours Aye

    EL NHOJARINO!

    ps Polly thinks it should be spelt {El Nhojarinho}….. Me I’m not sure I care <!– s;) –><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif" alt=";)" title="Wink" /><!– s;) –>

    #90814

    Anonymous

    That extra ‘h’ is kinda irrelevant. Po lly has seen the name ‘Jose Mourinho’ too many times (as we all have!)&nbsp; <!– s;) –><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif" alt=";)" title="Wink" /><!– s;) –>

    #90848

    Anonymous

    I wanted to watch it but i thought it might be too scary and horrific for my tastes … So it’s worth checking out then is it ? I’ll have to check to see if it’s repeated …

    #90849

    Anonymous

    There’s been a fair bit of blood, I should warn you in case you’re squeamish like that.

    #90869

    Anonymous
    &quot;CastellanSpandrel&quot;:avkr69nt wrote:
    There’s been a fair bit of blood, I should warn you in case you’re squeamish like that.
    [/quote:avkr69nt]

    I just have to turn on News 24 to get&nbsp; my fair dosage of blood and guts world wide. Not sure i can stomach it as entertainment outside the confines of a safe series like Dr Who .. mind you i like the Robert Louis Stevenson story …

    #90874

    Anonymous

    It’s not been too excessive/frequent, but it’s copious when it does appear.

    #90971

    Anonymous

    Hmmm I´ve watched it all so far but am unconvinced thus!

    #90974

    Anonymous
    &quot;Dr Hula Hoop&quot;:fc81gcs1 wrote:
    Hmmm I´ve watched it all so far but am unconvinced thus!
    [/quote:fc81gcs1]

    Reviews I’ve read have been lukewarm to say the least.

    I hope no-one buys the DVD on my recommendation then wants to duff me up!&nbsp; <!– s:-[ –><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/embarrassed.gif" alt=":-[" title="Embarrassed" /><!– s:-[ –>

    #91188

    Anonymous

    In last night’s episode, Hyde asked Jackman ‘Are you my daddy?’ and had a conversation with him via a video recording a la SS and the Dr in ‘Blink.’

    As well as writing it, S Moffat is also the Exec producer – so he can produce, should RTD need a replacement!

    #91303

    Anonymous

    Don’t give me more inspiration to kill RTD! *loads gun*

    <!– s;) –><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif" alt=";)" title="Wink" /><!– s;) –>

    &quot;CastellanSpandrel&quot;:10pfm44p wrote:
    Hi Jess

    I agree – I’m sick fed up with the Sat night entertainment schedules apart from Who and Jekyll.

    Do you reckon they could stretch it to another series, or is one enough?

    I ask this without knowing what happens to Jackman at the end of this series.
    [/quote:10pfm44p]

    I don’t know if they can get it to be two series, it’s quite fast-paced and they fit a lot into each episode. However, 6 episodes is a short series length anyway, so&nbsp; <!– s??? –><img src="{SMILIES_PATH}/huh.gif" alt="???" title="Huh" /><!– s??? –> I hope they have another.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2005-2014 Kasterborous. Theme Old Paper by ThunderThemes.net