trail1148

A Third Doctor Who Series 8 Episode Leaks Online

In news that even the Daleks will be frustrated about, the third episode of Doctor Who‘s eighth season has now been leaked onto the Internet. Titled Robots of Sherwood, the episode is a monochrome rough cut and is reportedly lacking its finished visual effects sequences.

As many of us know, the BBC’s time vaults were infiltrated back in July, when an unprotected ‘shared’ folder – said to contain the first five Series Eight scripts and a number of complete episodes – went public, leading to a mass download of copyrighted material, and every television producer’s worst nightmare. Apparently, the folder had been created for a chap called Marcelo Camargo at Marc Drei Productions, who had been tasked with some sort of subtitling duties for the Time Lord’s latest adventures.

Although the BBC was quick to plug the leak in the good ship Camargo, it appeared the damage had already been done, and within hours, the internet was awash with early episode reviews and high profile spoilers. At first, it seemed that the only video file to have been pirated was the series opener Deep Breath, as nobody appeared to have seen or shared anything pertaining to the other episodes, (other than plot details from the five leaked scripts.)

However, the situation was turned on its head when, out of the blue, Series 8′s second episode Into the Dalek mysteriously appeared on Pirate Bay. And now, this week, we have Robot of Sherwood doing the rounds in the Doctor Who underbelly.

The more this situation develops, I can’t help but think of Judi Dench in 2012′s Skyfall, and her reaction when the identities of government secret agents were uploaded onto YouTube, along with a chilling message: “Five more. Every week. Think on your sins.” Cool and detached as ever, the resilient Dench picks up the phone and says, “Tanner – he’s posted the first five names. Their cover’s blown!”

It may sound a little far-fetched, but the question has to be asked – is someone releasing these episodes periodically for a reason? Could the periodic, but intentional, sharing of these episodes be some sort of attack on the BBC? After all, as TorrentFreak points out, the video files all follow the same naming convention, which suggests that they were all obtained by the same person at the same time. Absurd as the ‘targeted attack’ theory may sound, the idea that so many scripts and episodes could find their way into the public domain is astounding in itself. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the scale of the leak is almost unrivalled in television terms, (although I’m sure there must be a number of similar examples.)

I guess we will have to wait and see how the rest of this sad situation pans out. In the meantime, let’s look forward to this Saturday, when we can watch the Twelfth Doctor for the first time in all his high definition, Crombie-wearing glory!

(Via TorrentFreak)

About

likes William Hartnell, whisky, being creative, debating canonicity, The Gunfighters, The Keys of Marinus and City of Death. He has a strong dislike of cold quiche, corporate PowerPoint presentations and lanyards, but loves terrible puns. He's currently employed by a mute teddy bear with black ears.

'A Third Doctor Who Series 8 Episode Leaks Online' have 9 comments

1. August 18, 2014 @ 9:33 pm Gareth Kavanagh

I suspect the next two will be out there, same pattern one per week before it stops. Then the first five (matching the scripts) will be out there and that will be it.

2. August 18, 2014 @ 9:36 pm Ian Gettings

Well, I, like many others, had the opportunity to see Deep Breath in glorious monochrome and gave up after 10 seconds. Just not interested in seeing it early. The vast majority of people won’t. The only annoyance is those who have, or purport to have, and slag the episodes off on forums. But they did that with Rose too and it was a wonderful beginning. It is embarrassing for the beeb, but won’t make much difference in the end. I thought the early release of Name was pretty catastrophic, but it also made no real difference fans were pretty good about not releasing details.

• August 19, 2014 @ 12:01 pm Paul McGann's Cat

Well, I’ve watched the first two and will likely watch this as well. But I have deliberately kept all spoilers to myself. Personally the monochrome didn’t bother me because I found the quality of the acting and pacing to be the big feature of the episodes. Plus I have the unique experience now of comparing the in production version to the final version when it airs, so, for me, I get to enjoy each episode not once but twice over as if they were new. I appreciate not everyone sees it that way, but at someone who actually gets a kick out of spoilers this hasn’t ruined my enjoyment at all.

3. August 18, 2014 @ 10:48 pm STLShawn

I have a belief that the leak of “Rose” was more publicity than anything. It was a very clean copy,,,,,, from,,,, what,,,,, ummmmm,,, someone I heard talking say…
    These, yeah, these are not finished, and there is a publicity machine behind series 8, so I think these are true leaks. I am not interested in seeing DW as I used to (black and white TV in the middle of the night, with questionable effects). However, now that I think about it, I watched on like a 10″ black and white, and the effects were fine for that format.

Anyway, I too am staying away. I like the waiting for the good stuff, to sit with friends and eat popcorn and drink soda, and have a good little who party.

As a side note (which is just about all this post is), I must give great credit to Kasterborous as the only place I have found where I can read news and not get all spoiled. Thanks Big K. The BBC should hire you guys who give enough info to keep me on the edge of my seat, but not so much that I feel spoilered at all.

4. August 19, 2014 @ 7:35 am DonnaM

Someone got their mucky paws on all five, it seems, and is dribbling their little stash out in bits. I fully expect the next two to be leaked before broadcast. Some sad soul must be telling him or her self how clever and wonderful they are.

Sorry to disappoint that person, but he/she is a clown.

I’m impatient to see the new series, but I will watch it as it’s supposed to be watched, in colour, with all the bells and whistles, on a proper television screen. You wouldn’t eat a half cooked meal: why watch a half-finished tv show?

5. August 19, 2014 @ 9:02 am Lily

So infuriating!! And like Steven Moffat said, people cannot call themselves fans at all if they download it. They, and the people who uploaded it should be ashamed of themselves.

• August 19, 2014 @ 12:06 pm Paul McGann's Cat

Oh please. Those who download it only do so because they are fans. Whilst it is frustrating from Moffat’s point of view that the unfinished product us out there, at the end of the day this does little harm to the show. If anything it generates interest and the rate of downloads us equally as measurable as airtime figures.

They only people who should be looked at with criticism are the people who uploaded them in the first place.

• August 20, 2014 @ 10:42 pm Lily

Don’t try and justify it. Please.

6. August 19, 2014 @ 12:03 pm Paul McGann's Cat

Chalk me up as another who doesn’t understand the drip feeding approach to these. A leak is a leak if the episode appears before it airs. So I don’t see the difference in releasing the whole lot beforehand or bit by bit.