Doctor Who News capaldi-listen

Published on August 18th, 2014 | by Joe Siegler

All of Doctor Who Series 8/Season 34′s Titles Revealed!

This morning the BBC formally released the titles and directors of all the episodes for Doctor Who Series 8, giving what I believe to be the first formal conformation that the run is one episode shorter than all the others that have preceded it since the relaunch in 2005.   Additionally, I believe these are the first episodes that Steven Moffat has written for Doctor Who where he gets a co-author credit with someone else (at least officially).

Given I’m sure you just want the goods, let’s just get to it:

Episode 1: Deep Breath

• Written by Steven Moffat
  • Directed by Ben Wheatley

Episode 2: Into The Dalek

• Written by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat
  • Directed by Ben Wheatley
  • Introducing Samuel Anderson as Danny Pink.

Episode 3: Robot Of Sherwood

Episode 10: In The Forest Of The Night

• Written by Frank Cottrell Boyce
  • Directed by Sheree Folkson

Episode 11/12: Dark Water/Death In Heaven

• Written by Steven Moffat
  • Directed by Rachel Talalay

We’ll have a full preview of the series later today!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to All of Doctor Who Series 8/Season 34′s Titles Revealed!

1. Pingback: Doctor Who series eight details revealed, a companion lost | The Daily P.O.P.

2. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

One episode less but a double length opener – so kind of balances itself out! Some interesting titles in there. Wonder if Mummy On The Orient Express has anything to do with the call the Doctor recieved at the end of The Big Bang? Anybody got any idea which of the episodes is the one that was filmed in Lanzarote?

• avatar Coopergreg says:

I agree. Guarantee people will moan that they are one episode down, forgetting Deep Breath is as good as two episodes.

• avatar Mark P says:

Plus the Christmas episode hasn’t been announced yet

• avatar Dennis Orman says:

Am I missing something? There are 12 episodes, that’s what we usually get right? Plus the Christmas special makes 13… So if we take into account the double-length opener, we are getting the equivalent of 14 episodes… or am I reading this all wrong?

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

All previous series have been 13 episodes long (not including Christmas specials, and despite the last couple being split into two halves). So you are right in that we are basically getting the same amount, but just one episode less. We’re basically getting a two-parter this Saturday in one go! Awesome!

• avatar Dennis Orman says:

Yeah, I’m being thick. Monday brain, sorry everyone.

• avatar paradoxremnant says:

Apparently the episode in question has The Doctor ‘finally catching up on his phone calls’ so presumably! And I believe Kill The Moon is the Lanzarote episode Franco.

3. avatar TimeChaser says:

Mummy on the Orient Exrpess should be fun by the sound of the title. :)

4. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Also interesting to note the number of episodes Moff is writing (including co-writing). 7. That’s more than RTD or Moff himself have ever written for a single series. I wonder if Moff is co-writing with a few people to maybe get a feel for who would be a suitable replacement for when he moves on (though I think he has already confirmed that he is on board for series 9). Just a thought.

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Apologies, just remembered that RTD wrote 8 for series one, but my point remains regarding the co-writing :)

• avatar Chris Walton says:

7 credits for Steven Moffat (those co-writes were really unexpected). However, he is just one short of Russell, as he wrote 8 episodes of the first series in 2005.

I’d be interested to see how these co-writes came about, myself. As showrunner, Steven does have a bit of control across all the episodes, adding bits in to other writer’s to strengthen the series arc, but that’s usually uncredited. So why is it different now? You could be right then in thinking that this is to see who can take over from him after series 9. After all, it’s not as clear as it was when Russell left since Steven was the obvious choice for a lot of people.

Maybe we’ll find out in a future DWM what the reason is.

5. avatar DonnaM says:

That sounds like a cracking good list to me, not much given away and some really intriguing possibilities raised.

Everything from Kill The Moon onward sounds fascinating, and not one of them gives me the sense of dread I recall from the likes of Fear Her or Love and Monsters either.

• Interesting that Moffat is credited as co-writing this year; I think it pretty unlikely he’s not had input into other people’s scripts in the past.

Why should he be getting a co-credit this time then, do you think? Doesn’t strike you as odd?

• avatar DonnaM says:

I was using “interesting” as a euphemism for “odd” to be honest – it sounded more courteous :-) I can only assume (discounting rank egotism – again, I was brought up to be polite!) that either he wants a particular characterisation/feel and he’s directly controlling it; or there’s an element of story arc he didn’t feel he could entrust to any other writer.

• Of course it could simply be he’s thought “stuff it! I do enough of the work, why shouldn’t I get a share of the credit?”

Writers would be up in arms about that, one would think…

6. avatar Adam Morgan says:

Super intrigued by the idea of a Robin Hood-esque story (Sherwood) and the Mummy on the Orient Express. Wonder if that will be a reference to the line of Matt Smith from the end of Series 5 about the Egyptian Goddess on the Orient Express.

7. avatar rickjlundeen says:

My criticism against Moffat last year was that he seemed to be very “hands off” regarding scripts during 7B and that’s why it was such a lackluster second half of the season. Maybe this is him getting back to being a show runner in fact as opposed to in title only again.

Interestingly enough, as time went by for RTD, he write less but better stuff through his era. Here, Moffat seems to be taking charge again and so applaud him for it.

8. avatar It is the end..... says:

I don’t recall there ever being mention of Moffat co-writing any stories this season. It would seem to suggest therefore that his rewrites were so extensive that he decided to take a credit for them. Pity they didn’t decide to come up with some kind of Bland pseudonym….

Interestingly, I do recall RTD having to extensively rewrite Fires of Pompeii but didn’t take a credit.