Doctor Who News Deep Breath 2

Published on July 10th, 2014 | by Philip Bates

First Official Deep Breath Photo Surfaces!

The very first official photo from the Series 8 premiere, Deep Breath, has been unveiled by American magazine, Entertainment Weekly.

As you can see, the Twelfth Doctor’s not quite got his look down to a tee yet, so perhaps he’s still suffering from post-regeneration confusion; Clara, nonetheless, looks as beautiful as ever.

Deep Breath sees the TARDIS set down in Victorian London with the return of the Paternoster Gang: Vastra (a Silurian), Jenny (a sometimes-leather-clad human), and Strax (a grenade-loving Sontaran). It’s written by Steven Moffat and directed by Ben Wheatley, and is known to be “feature-length”, ie. roughly 75 minutes or so. As Kasterborites may recall, the scripts for the first five episodes were leaked online earlier this week, though they were quickly taken down by an apologetic BBC.

Entertainment Weekly spoke to Jenna Coleman, who stars opposite new Doctor, Peter Capaldi and calls her co-star, “a total adrenaline junkie”!

“It’s a big introduction — he’s the new Doctor,”Moffat explains. “There’s no point pretending that it’s not the most interesting, dynamic thing that you’ve got to sell in that first episode. It’s going to be about ‘What’s he like? How’s he different?’ I suppose it feels a bit like a character piece, but there’s plenty of action and nonsense and jeopardy, as there ever is in Doctor Who.”

And he then teases the two-part finale, directed by Rachel Talalay. How will viewers feel after the finale? “Like they want Doctor Who to come back very, very quickly,” Moffat says. Well, that’s how we always feel!

Here’s that first in-action photo of the Twelfth Doctor in full, courtesy of Adrian Rogers, BBC America and Entertainment Weekly.

Deep Breath 2

Excited yet? Doctor Who returns on 23rd August, and yes, it feels great to be writing that!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to First Official Deep Breath Photo Surfaces!

1. avatar TimeChaser says:

Yay for pictures! Well, picture, in this case. I’m still hoping that soon to the premier we might get more of a trailer rather than these endless teasers, but I’m guessing this time they want to keep things close to the chest as long as possible.

2. avatar calliarcale says:

Entertainment Weekly breaking a new Doctor Who official picture . . . it’s a good time to be an American Whovian. Way easier than it used to be, that’s for sure. ;-)

• avatar TimeChaser says:

So true. When I was a kid, I was the only one I knew outside my family who even knew about Doctor Who. Now I run into other fans all the time, especially when I’m representing by wearing Whovian shirts. :)

3. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

You know what? That would actually be a rather good costume for Capaldi’s Doctor! Taking Patrick Troughton’s ‘cosmic hobo’ to a whole new level :)

4. avatar Geoff says:

He looks a bit like Den Heggarty from 70s band Darts in this picture. Den Heggarty scared the sh*t out of me when I was a kid so alls well!

5. avatar DonnaM says:

Good to see the publicity is ramping up on both sides of the big pond! I’m not expecting a proper trailer for a couple of weeks yet (about a month in advance of broadcast is roughly what the BBC seem to favour) but if they’d care to prove me wrong before the World Cup final on Sunday I won’t mind, honest!

• avatar simon magellan says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Beeb use the WC Final as a launch pad for a “British Drama” promo – not just DW but some of the other biggies they’ve lined up for August, given how soon it is.

• avatar DonnaM says:

Well I was planning on watching the Final on the BBC anyway, honest!

If they don’t use that, it’ll probably be the Commonwealth Games (which they have exclusive rights to). The opening ceremony is 23rd July – bang on a month before the really important telly starts :-)

• avatar Castellan Spandrel says:

Per a tweet I’ve just seen – DWM, I think – tonight’s World Cup final should be watched on BBC1, for reasons that will become obvious!

6. avatar STLShawn says:

I’m such a fan of this stuff. Behind the scenes photos, shaky cell phone filming pics,,,, it’s such a wonderful diversion and truly fantastic to get glimpses inside what’s to come. Its been a blast seeing these sorts of things. Like thousands of tiny teaser trailers. Each one makes me thing “what’s all this about? Who’s that? What could this all possibly mean?”

Thanks Kasterborous for putting this stuff in an easy to read and easy to catch up on format.