trail1167

Doctor Who Series 8 Premiere Gets Worldwide Cinema Screening!

BBC Worldwide has announced that the Doctor Who Series 8 premiere – Peter Capaldi’s first full episode – will be screened in cinemas around the world from 23 August 2014, following the success of the global cinema release of the 50th anniversary episode The Day of the Doctor which was screened in over 1500 cinemas around the world, allowing fans to come together to watch the show like never before.

Doctor Who makes a spectacular return to the big screen in the feature-length premiere episode of Series 8; Deep Breath. Directed by acclaimed Director Ben Wheatley (Sightseers, A Field in England) and written by Lead Writer and Executive Producer Steven Moffat, the beginning of the Twelfth Doctor’s era stars Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, Jenna Coleman as his companion Clara Oswald and sees the return of fan favourites The Paternoster Gang - Madame Vastra (Neve McIntosh), Jenny Flint (Catrin Stewart) and Strax (Dan Starkey) – in a pulse-racing adventure through Victorian London.

Steven Moffat comments, “Last November the Doctor didn’t just conquer the world on television, he did it in the cinemas too. And like the show-off he is, he can’t resist another go – one taste of the silver screen is never enough. On August 23rd the new Doctor will begin his new adventures on BBC One and in cinemas all over the world. Movie-land beware – Capaldi is coming to get you!”

Doctor Who Series 8 premiere Deep Breath will be screened in participating cinemas around the world from 23 August, 2014. More information will be released by BBC Worldwide and participating cinema chains over the coming weeks. For all of the latest information please visit doctorwho.tv/watch/cinema.

Will you be watching in the cinema, or do you prefer to watch curled up on your sofa? And does the ability to take Doctor Who into the cinema so easily mean an end to any rumoured movies?

Christian Cawley

About

'Doctor Who Series 8 Premiere Gets Worldwide Cinema Screening!' have 35 comments

1. July 25, 2014 @ 2:12 pm Capn

I saw the leaked version, and yeah, it was a rough cut, but that didn’t stop Peter Capaldi from being a horrible choice for the new Doctor. They know he sucks and is going to kill the show, so they are doing stuff like this to try to get us to not notice. Actually, I’m glad he stinks as the Doctor. If people start tuning out, maybe that will light a fire under everyone’s asses to get the missing episodes admitted to and released while there is still a fan base.

• Christian Cawley

July 25, 2014 @ 2:31 pm Christian Cawley

You really have no idea how crazy you’re going to look…

• July 25, 2014 @ 2:46 pm Rick

Even as trolling goes, this is weak.

• July 25, 2014 @ 3:35 pm lozzer

Capn, does your mum know you’re playing on her computer…?

• July 25, 2014 @ 6:11 pm joesiegler

If you’re gonna troll, try harder than that.

Surprised this wasn’t just deleted, tbh.

• Christian Cawley

July 25, 2014 @ 7:24 pm Christian Cawley

He/she’s (or someone with similar opinion) has tried a few times, actually, so I thought I’d throw the to the wolves, to be honest…

• July 25, 2014 @ 6:50 pm Omar Martinez

Well, I can see you’re a person of very superior intellect.

The concept of “opinions” isn’t unknown to you, is it?

2. July 25, 2014 @ 3:15 pm Joe M

Better to see episodes in the cinema than an attempt to make a separate film that might turn out horrible. One night means all theaters will be packed. A film will have empty seats by the third night and when compared to other films it might be a flop. This way it’s a success since it was meant for TV, the cinema is just gravy on top.

3. July 25, 2014 @ 3:24 pm Ranger

Blinkin’ heck – give the bloke a go on a properly finished episode before you slag him off; nothing like making a decision on no or little evidence…

• July 25, 2014 @ 7:12 pm simon magellan

You’re working on the assumption that he has actually seen it and isn’t just saying this to get a reaction (as he has done). I’d ignore him if I were you – he’s probably just a jealous Trekker…

4. July 25, 2014 @ 4:18 pm Francis Cave

Yep that’s the way to get people not to realise how bad an actor is.

Put his first performance in the role on massive screens around the world.

That’ll work alright….

5. July 25, 2014 @ 4:19 pm vortexter

Anyhoo…I appreciate I dont have to pay and I can watch at home but this does seem a little cynical to get fans to shell out for something we’ve already paid for through the licence fee. I’m sure that regardless of Capaldi’s excellence that this will be a a nice little earner for the beeb but maybe it’s a way of avoiding making a feature film at any stage? I predict that the eventual Peter Jackson directed episode will be 90 mins, 3D, and at a multiplex near you this time next year. And we’ll pay a tenner to see it.

• July 25, 2014 @ 4:28 pm Joe Mendoza

I don’t mind paying for Doctor Who! I’m a fan. But a new fan or less dedicated fan has the option to watch it at home so I don’t see the problem. The money I paid for Day of the Doctor (that I could have watched at home for free) was a better value than many concerts or other live events I have attended that were not otherwise offered for free. Celebrate these moves and remember the days growing up when the BBC didn’t care about serving the fan. The things the BBC does now (simultaneous worldwide broadcasts, theater simulcasts, immediate DVD/Blu releases, World Tours, collectables etc.) are the things I’ve been writing on the comment cards that come with the DVD releases. So I apologize they have been listening to me!

• July 25, 2014 @ 11:34 pm Tracy Palma

We don’t have “license fees” in the US. The only way to watch BBC America is to have either digital cable, FiOS or satellite, and I can’t afford any of those. Would that I could. So I have to wait until Monday night to see it in theaters, which still stinks because I can’t watch it Saturday, but at least I get to see it.

6. July 25, 2014 @ 4:19 pm scooby

i wish people would keep their opinion regarding the leaked episode to themselves. The vast majority (99.99999%) of the populous will watch it when its aired. why attempt to spoil things for others?

7. July 25, 2014 @ 5:50 pm Endy

I think a proper fan will want to watch every rough mix, grubby black and white unfinished versions, might have been scripts and so on he or she can get their hands on AFTER they have seen the proper finished version first. Are you a proper fan if you watch stolen and then leaked versions first which nobody was ever supposed to see, and then worse still in an attempt presumably to show off, tell everyone else how rubbish they are?
    As for a cinema version. I so enjoyed watching Day Of the Doctor in the cinema sharing some of the special moments with lots of other equally excited people. Then I watched it again quietly almost alone and enjoyed that too. I bought the DVD and will buy the anniversary box set which I am school boy excited about and I am happy the BBC have made loads of money out of me, just as long as they go on making Doctor Who and making it so the majority of us love it.
    I cant help thinking that although that perhaps makes me a bit daft, it also makes me a proper fan.

8. July 26, 2014 @ 3:16 am Capn

Because I had something negative to say, I am a troll? OK. I’m a troll then. Still doesn’t change the fact that he stinks as the new Doctor Who. Go watch it now if you don’t believe me. Adding in the finished CGI isn’t going to change anything. I think the BBC knows-the-hell out of my opinion and are just grasping for every last buck they can get before everyone tunes out and we wait for a new Doctor come the next season.

Go on and be mean to me if you must, but I didn’t attack you. I didn’t pee in your breakfast. I’m just telling you what I saw and what I think.

• Christian Cawley

July 26, 2014 @ 8:39 am Christian Cawley

It’s an opinion in complete contrast to virtually everyone else who has admitted to seeing it.

Also, every Doctor is “vague” in their first episode. You’re clutching at straws, you don’t even have proof that you’ve genuinely seen Deep Breath (more fool you if you have).
      Your credibility is non-existent, no one has heard of you and yet you expect people to listen.

You *are* peeing in someone’s breakfast – you’re naysaying the new Doctor before anyone sees him. If you were a real fan, you would understand this.

• July 27, 2014 @ 1:01 am Capn

**************************. There. You wanted proof, D.B.

• Christian Cawley

July 27, 2014 @ 8:12 am Christian Cawley

Capn has now been banned.

• Christian Cawley

July 27, 2014 @ 10:39 am Christian Cawley

Yes, sorry if you don’t like the fact that someone has been banned but if they’re going to troll and then attempt to spoil the episode, that’s what happens.

• July 28, 2014 @ 4:51 pm TonyS

I agree that (in particular) his last comment deserved a ban and have no criticism of your actions, Christian, does anyone else feel that they have just had a battle of wits with an infant?

• July 26, 2014 @ 6:59 pm Francis cave

If the bbc really thought that capaldi was bad in the role the last thing they would do would be to put him on the big screen.

You are entitled to your opinion but using the cinema screening as proof is just daft.

Anyway how can anyone judge a new doctor on one episode ?

• July 27, 2014 @ 11:00 am simon magellan

In his very interesting interview in the Sunday Times magazine, Capaldi says that he didn’t arrive for filming with his Doctor fully formed and that his character develops over a number of episodes (as you might expect).

He also says: “I didn’t want to be Doctor Who in a Doctor Who I didn’t like. I had to be convinced the show was going in a direction I was interested in”

Well worth reading this interview if you can.

• July 27, 2014 @ 1:32 pm Rick

Hang on a minute, Capaldi called The Doctor “Doctor Who”?
          Oh dear God, no, No, NO!!!!

• July 27, 2014 @ 3:19 pm DonnaM

As a child of the 1970s I remember the character being credited as “Doctor Who” in the end titles. Does it really matter? Not to me, certainly!

On what Simon quotes from the interview – good on you, Mr Capaldi!

• July 27, 2014 @ 9:54 pm Rick

In reply to DonnaM:
            Nope, it doesn’t matter one bit, I’m being facetious.

• July 27, 2014 @ 4:49 pm simon magellan

Also from the interview – “There’ll be no flirting – that’s for sure. I want no Papa-Nicole moments. I think there were some tensions with that at first but I was totally adamant”

That’ll please a lot of us!

I did get the distinct impression that a great deal of the move towards the “new direction” that Moffat is touting is actually coming from Capaldi rather than the production team. He promises a more “sombre” and “rooted dramatically” series with longer scenes – something a lot of us will welcome.

• Christian Cawley

July 27, 2014 @ 5:52 pm Christian Cawley

Have you bought a copy, Simon?

• July 27, 2014 @ 7:58 pm simon magellan

I read the Sunday Times anyway. As far as I can see, it’s not online anywhere, which is a pity.

• July 27, 2014 @ 8:02 pm DonnaM

Sounds like we have a very intelligent lead actor who isn’t afraid to make his feelings known. A definite asset as long as the showrunner isn’t pulling in completely the opposite direction!

Seriously, it sounds like a good match-up. Moffat knew what Capaldi wanted and was able to satisfy him that his Doctor Who could provide it. I won’t say I’m not slightly nervous, but it’s a by-product of my high hopes for the series this time!

9. July 27, 2014 @ 7:09 pm TonyS

In a moment of weakness/insanity, I tried to download Deep Breath. One highly infected computer and a couple of hours later, I gave up. It is just under 4 weeks. I can wait that long.

10. July 28, 2014 @ 9:47 am Ranger

Hang on in there Tony!

I love what I am hearing and reading from Capaldi – he really seems to understand the fundamental basis of the Doctor and wants to get away from the horrible fluffiness that has been forced on the character by Moffatt and…. oh dear, I’m having a senior moment, I can’t remember the name of the showrunner before Moffatt! Help!

• July 28, 2014 @ 12:24 pm simon magellan

David O Russell?

One nice moment (well, two actually) in the ST interview was when the interviewer asked him about his first day on set and reports that Capaldi’s eyes misted up at the memory, and then, when he asks him a jokey question about Cybermen and Daleks and gets an in depth answer about the origins of the Cybermen!

Capaldi is an UberFan and really that, combined with his sensibilities as an actor, writer and director can only be good for the series.