Merchandise The Day of the Doctor - Matt Smiling

Published on July 24th, 2014 | by Philip Bates

50th Anniversary DVD/Blu-ray Announced!

A full 50th anniversary collection is coming to DVD and Blu-ray in September!

It’s been long rumoured and everyone’s wanted to get their mitts on a prospect release, but it’s only now that the BBC has confirmed a special limited edition box set, which will be released 8th September 2014. The set will include:

• The Name of the Doctor
  • The Night of the Doctor
  • The Day of the Doctor
  • The Time of the Doctor
  • An Adventure in Space and Time
  • The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot

50th anniversary set DVD

It’ll be the first time Mark Gatiss’ masterpiece, An Adventure in Space and Time, will be on Blu-ray in the UK, and the first time Peter Davison’s brilliant The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot is a physical release; previously, it was only available online and via the red button. The set will include various extras too:

• An exclusive cut of The Day of the Doctor readthrough;
  • Deleted scenes, trailers, and the cinema introduction for The Day of the Doctor;
  • Behind-the-scenes features on Name, Day, and Time of the Doctor as well as An Adventure in Space and Time;
  • Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide (from BBC3);
  • The Last Day minisode (a ‘prequel’ to Day);
  • Tales from the TARDIS;
  • Farewell to Matt Smith;
  • The Science of Doctor Who;
  • 2013 Doctor Who Prom.

Frankly, this is a dream boxset for many fans, not only celebrating 50 years of Doctor Who, but also Matt Smith’s exceptional era as the Eleventh Doctor.

On top of that, we’ll be getting the superb Science of Doctor Who, presented by Professor Brian Cox, which proved that the idea behind the Eye of Harmony (or at least, how it was portrayed in Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS) is a possibility! The Prom, too, was chilling and commemorative. Well done to all involved on those fronts. The show really did take over TV!

Everyone will be after this set, but there’ll only be 6,000 units on Blu-ray and 4,000 units on DVD. Time for a pre-order? The DVD is available from the BBCShop, priced £28.99, and the Blu-ray is priced £31.99.

The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Collection is released on 8 September 2014.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to 50th Anniversary DVD/Blu-ray Announced!

1. avatar Harry M VanHoudnos says:

Now this, THIS is my idea of a 50th anniversary collection!

2. avatar Ranger says:

YES! The BBC does it right for once – and only £29 for all those goodies?! Massive bargain. I’m off to pre-order.

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

A massive bargain if you have never bought any of the other DVDs released – otherwise you’re paying £29 for TheFive(ish) Doctors Reboot!

• avatar Ranger says:

Ah, but I deliberately didn’t buy any of the other DVD’s because I was hoping this all-inclusive one would be released – and for once it paid off!

(Having problems with the reply box, so if this doesn’t work, I was replying to Simon!)

3. avatar Aly says:

This sounds amazing, but hopefully they’ll make more units available? Everyone who wants one should be able to get one. I’m a little tired of the “limited edition, you-can-only-get-one-if-you’re-SPECIAL” mentality.

4. So we Americans get no part of this?

• avatar Harry M VanHoudnos says:

If you have a DVD player that can do the region that the UK is in, you CAN view it!

• avatar calliarcale says:

WHat if you have a region free player that inexplicably now insists on being Region 1? I’ve gone through a few region-free DVD players, and I’m frustrated to again lose access to the content I’ve paid for. (I have series 1 & 3 in Region 2. Which now I can’t watch until I pony up for yet another player.)

• avatar Harry M VanHoudnos says:

I don’t know about that, but I own a US combo DVD/VCR combo, that I had programmed to play both US and UK DVD’s. Still us it today.

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

Download anydvd software to your laptop and it’ll read any region DVDs without a problem.

Is the fact that you have DVD issues the BBCs fault?

5. avatar Hoosier Whovian says:

hope it makes it here in the states, and the other colonies as well.

6. avatar Ian Gettings says:

There are also 10% off codes at the BBC Shop – 10OFF35 (if you are spending over £35) or RP0714 for 10% off any price (though it seems a bit hit and miss at the moment).

• avatar Simon King says:

IF you use the 10% off code that you need to spend £35 for, perhaps try http://www.bbcshop.com/exclusives/doctor-who-classic-tom-baker-mug/invt/dwhw12562. Using the code will make the total order £32.48

• avatar Simon King says:

For the 31.99 blu ray that is

7. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I’ve already got The Day of the Doctor on DVD here in the states, and it’s got Night on it as well. Name is on the 7B set and I’ve got Time as well, so I’m set.

8. Reading the contents, between what I DVR’d from BBC America and the latest DVD/Blu-Ray releases here in the U.S. ; the only thing I do not already have is the Five(ish) Doctors Reboot!

Is that getting a seperate release?