Published on June 27th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

New Doctor Who Series 8 Lands August 23rd! [VIDEO]

Getting excited about Doctor Who Series 8? The BBC has tonight confirmed a start date of August 23rd 2014, and as such has released these new images of the Doctor and Clara in the TARDIS, along with a trailer on BBC One!

You can see the trailer, placing the Doctor and Clara in completely new situations, above. The BBC tells us that the Series 8 premiere, with its title confirmed as Deep Breath, will be “feature length”!

Here’s how we shared the images on Facebook a few minutes ago, shortly after they were released:

As you may have read, Michael Pickwoad’s TARDIS interior – introduced in 2012′s The Snowmen - has been slightly adjusted with new lighting and a couple of other cosmetic adjustments. Meanwhile the Twelfth Doctor (Peter Capaldi) and Clara Oswin (Jenna Coleman) stand in suitably dramatic poses for what promises to be an extremely memorable run of episodes.

So far, Doctor Who Series 8 looks like this:

• Episode 01, Deep Breath written by Steven Moffat. Directed by Ben Wheatley. Completed.
  • Episode 02, written by Phil Ford. Directed by Ben Wheatley. Completed.
  • Episode 03, written by Mark Gatiss. Directed by Paul Murphy. Completed.
  • Episode 04, written by Steven Moffat. Directed by Douglas Mackinnon. Completed.
  • Episode 05, written by Steve Thompson. Directed by Douglas Mackinnon. Completed.
  • Episode 06, written by Gareth Roberts. Directed by Paul Murphy. Completed.
  • Episode 07, written by Peter Harness. Directed by Paul Wilmshurst. Completed.
  • Episode 08, written by Jamie Mathieson. Directed by Paul Wilmshurst. Completed.
  • Episode 09, written by Jamie Mathieson. Directed by Douglas Mackinnon.
  • Episode 10, written by TBC. Directed by TBC (still in production).
  • Episode 11/12, written by Steven Moffat. Directed by Rachel Talalay. (Still in production.)

You’ll notice from the above that Steven Moffat has only written four episodes, with the tenth still to be confirmed. We’re hoping for a big name here, like Neil Gaiman or even – gasp – Russell T Davies.

Amazingly, D0ct0r Who Series 8 is almost upon us. You can set your diary and make social arrangements around it now – how exciting is that?!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

34 Responses to New Doctor Who Series 8 Lands August 23rd! [VIDEO]

1. avatar Philip Bates says:

I’m hoping for Neil Cross. Awesome writer. Jack Lothian was also rumoured, as was Tom MacRae. Too many writers, not enough episodes. ;)

2. avatar vortexter says:

‘Am I a good man Clara?’

I think we have a Timelord in crisis here. It looks amazing. Capaldi is the image of a Timelord. I think we are in for a treat.

3. avatar lozzer says:

I’m really hoping episode ten is an RTD script!!!!

• avatar lozzer says:

Got marked down by a fan of The Doctor The Widow And The Wardrobe… ;)

4. avatar The 2.5th Doctor says:

Great Title. Feature Length is an Awesome Idea. Can’t wait.

5. avatar DonnaM says:

Unlikely to be Gaiman: didn’t he say in an interview ages ago that he was approached but wouldn’t have the time to commit to this year’s run? Russell T is one I would love to see back and it’s certainly odd that one episode hadn’t been confirmed yet, but I won’t get my hopes up.

It’s good to have a definite date, and I agree – Capaldi looks the part with a vengeance. I don’t think I’ve been this excited about a new series since the BBC first announced the show was coming back.

6. avatar joesiegler says:

Two things.

1) Is that RTD comment based on info, or just wild speculation? I’d love RTD to come back and write one, but he keeps saying no.

2) I guess this is more info that leads towards a 12 episode season instead of the usual 13 it’s been so far?

7. avatar joesiegler says:

I also wish they’d use Graeme Harper again.

8. Apparently the first episode is “feature length” so somewhere between 75 and 90 minutes I’d presume?

• avatar joesiegler says:

Where are you seeing that? Not saying it can’t/won’t be, but I haven’t seen feature length in the stories I’ve read – unless I’m just being dense.

• avatar simon magellan says:

Says “feature length” there – and DW News don’t usually speculate.

• The link within the report to the BBC website says it is feature length.

No need to link elsewhere ;)

9. avatar gruff says:

Cannot wait now!

Have they made a major publicity photograph error and forgotten to get Peter to remove his wedding ring?

• avatar claws-on says:

Capaldi always wears his wedding ring – even as Cardinal Richelieu in The Musketeers.

• avatar DonnaM says:

He very rarely removes it, I think, no matter what role he plays; not a problem as they’ll just put a costume piece alongside to disguise it. It’s been a while since we had a Doctor wearing a ring, but it’s hardly unprecedented.

• avatar gruff says:

Wonder if they make a joke of it in the script of the first episode then. I’d have thought actors would be required to remove/reposition rings if they changed the context of the character’s status within a story. Though he did marry River, eleven wasn’t seen sporting a ring so Capaldi’s Doctor should not necessarily have it on in his first scene.

• avatar Rick says:

And Capaldi’s Doctor is a widower, so I don’t think it’ll be a wedding ring within the context of the narrative.

• avatar simon magellan says:

Why should they even mention it?

It is irrelevant.

10. avatar Howard Railton says:

One episode short, no cliffhangers and a ghastly clunker from Gareth Roberts. Terrible.

Capaldi looks right in the part though.

• avatar simon.magellan says:

You’re ability to see the future astounds me. Can you give me next week’s lottery numbers please?

• avatar Rick says:

There is cliffhangers. The final is a two parter, I wouldn’t be surprised if 8&9 where a two part story as they share the same writer. Plus the feature length opening episode makes up for one episode short.

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

Unlikely 8 & 9 are one story – set reports suggest very different look for each episode and they have different directors. Not impossible, but unlikely I would have thought.

• avatar Pantz says:

Yeah, I think Gareth Roberts should quietly disappear from the show now. Mark Gatiss too.

11. avatar richy555 says:

Well now you’ve reviewed the season Howard, there’s no reason to watch it is there!!!

12. avatar TimeChaser says:

I did a big ‘ol fistpump last night when I saw this news. I was prepared for the premier to be more like Aug. 30, but a week earlier is most welcome.

13. avatar Hyncharas says:

I’ll tell you something I noticed… where’s Episode 13?

• There isn’t one. It was confirmed last year that there would only be twelve episodes. Please see some of the above comments. The Xmas special will serve as the thirteenth ep.

14. avatar Pantz says:

I’ve always longed for a feature length opener for a new Doctor Who series. If it’s basically a two parter squished together then it’ll certainly make up for their being 12 episodes instead of the usual 13.

• avatar simon magellan says:

You mean like “The Eleventh Hour”?

I suppose it depends on what you consider “feature” length – and what the BBC mean by it.

• avatar Pantz says:

I would have thought 90 minutes or there about would be a standard feature length. A lot of American shows kick off with a feature length first episode. No reason why Doctor Who shouldn’t do this.

• avatar simon magellan says:

The BBC classed “Day of the Doctor” as feature length, and that was 75 minutes long, so I would be surprised if it’s longer myself.

15. avatar simon magellan says:

Am I the only person to wonder why Clara is standing in that strange position – they had a similar problem with the Series 7 promo photo, the one with her on the back of the bike. There her head was strangely aligned with her body, here her stance is very awkward – you couldn’t stand with your leg like that for long. And why isn’t she looking at the Doctor?

By the way – notice his Pertwee like pose? Again!!!

• avatar Rick lundeen says:

I noticed her awkward pose as well. Very odd and it almost looks like they cobbled together the image, grabbing both of them from different sources. I’m happy that they’ll tweak the console room lighting a bit, looks a bit warmer.

16. avatar Jan Bos says:

12 episodes ???

When launching, we are in England, so it’s the ultimate experience. :-)