Doctor Who News jenna-louise-coleman-peter-capaldi_1

Published on May 16th, 2014 | by Philip Bates

Series 8 Air Date: A Big Clue?

Could three fiction books give us Whovians a clue as to when Doctor Who Series 8 will air in the UK?

Silhouette by Justin Richards, The Crawling Terror by Mike Tucker, and The Blood Cell by James Goss are expected to continue the New Series Adventures range that began in 2005, but introduce Peter Capaldi’s Twelfth Doctor to the medium. The expected release date is Thursday 11th September 2014.

Of course, this could change, but it might mean that Episode 1 of Series 8 will air, as many suspected, on 30th August.

It would give audiences time to settle into the new series, said to be a run of “at least” 12 episodes with no break, before snapping the books off shelves nationwide. Essentially, it would mean readers will have seen Capaldi’s first episode (getting over his regeneration) and witnessed him in action properly in Episode 2.

It wouldn’t be the first time corresponding books were released so close to the start of a new Doctor’s era: The Stone RoseThe Feast of the Damned and The Resurrection Casket were all out two days before Series 2 even began; whilst Apollo 23Night of the Humans and The Forgotten Army came out on 22nd April 2010, the Eleventh Doctor having made his first full appearance in The Eleventh Hour, aired on 3rd April 2010.

Yes, all this could alter, but it’s basically what we were all expecting/hoping. Oh, and nonetheless, it’ll be great for Jenna Coleman’s Clara Oswald to have more adventures in the range, having only previously appeared in last year’s Shroud of Sorrow.

One thing’s for sure. Not. Long. Now.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Series 8 Air Date: A Big Clue?

1. August hmm I hope Karen Gillian’s movie has played thru for it might cause a problems to buys on British Iplayer

2. avatar TimeChaser says:

Such an air date would sit well with me. And I always look forward to more novels. I love sinking my teeth into a good DW book and getting to know a new Doctor both on screen and in print.

3. avatar weirdibeardi says:

August 30th is my birthday.
    This would be one hell of a present.

4. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Still over 3 months away, guh. “At least 12 episodes with no break”? That’s odd, considering they’d have a series, then a break, then the Christmas episode….then one more episode later?

• avatar DonnaM says:

I’ve been assuming a 12 episode series followed a few weeks later by a Christmas special. I know a drop from 13 would upset a lot of people, but as long as it’s a straight run of decent quality, I’d be happy enough.

• avatar rickjlundeen says:

This change just seems random and annoying. Considering they just got done spreading one series of Who across two whole years, you’d think budget-wise, they’d be doing fine, especially with all the money the show brings in worldwide.

There always seems to be some hidden agenda that’s screwing with my favorite show. I wonder if one of the scripts fell through and they’re unable to make one of the episodes? Guh.

• avatar Calico Jones says:

The reason for the drop is that the 50th Anniversary special took the budget for one episode (and a bit). They moved an ep from the 8th series back, effectively. Unfortunate that they fall within the same financial year, or it could have been avoided.

The BBC treat DW like all other drama series – it’s budget is comparable with any of their shows. It is irrelevant how much money it makes as this goes into general BBC funding, not the show itself.

• avatar Philip Bates says:

Just to clarify: what I mean is, if there are only 12 eps this series (I want 13, but still), there will be a clear run of those with no break.

5. avatar Geoff says:

12 will do me! For a couple of years we’ve had half that and for 16 years we only had one new episode! Let’s get some perspective: it’s not a big deal.

• avatar kevin merchant says:

Exactly. A new series at last…!

6. avatar Tony Sobol says:

We had 13 episodes of Eccleston in 2005, lets not forget. A series of 12 eps then the Xmas Special is totally fine.