Doctor Who News Kovarian

Published on May 8th, 2014 | by Philip Bates

Could Madame Kovarian Return?

Picked up the new Doctor Who Magazine? Well, maybe you should – because showrunner, Steven Moffat, talks about the Kovarian chapter…

Last seen in The Wedding of River Song (seriously, how many times am I gonna write, The “Weeding” of River Song?!), Madame Kovarian was name-checked in Matt Smith’s swansong, The Time of the Doctor. In The Weeding (um, you did it again – Ed), Kovarian died. But that all happened in a timeline that never was, so, as Moffat says…

“Kovarian, logically, is still alive. The whereabouts remain a terrible mystery. Will she return to menace the Doctor again? Will she ever resume her once happy marriage with Tasha Lem (just a thought, but imagine the domestics!). Perhaps…

But let’s be honest: if Amy Pond, River Song, and a two-thousand-year-old Centurian who blows up Cyber fleets for emphasis were all pissed off with you at once, you might stay quiet for a bit.”

And as he notes, you can listen to the moment when Frances Barber realised her on-screen persona was still alive by putting on the ep’s commentary.

So c’mon, who’d like to see Barber’s kinky Eye-Patch Woman return – maybe with the Silence in tow?

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Could Madame Kovarian Return?

1. avatar Reggaemarinade says:

2. avatar Gruff says:

It’s another Moffat herring I think. It seems that he drops them in occasionally to see if they throw people off the scent about the series being made at the time. I am rather glass that I don’t really know much about the stories that are going to be broadcast this year. I might even test myself and avoid reading anything about then until after they’ve been broadcast. Think the over exposure of Matt’s era did tend to lead to a bit of deflation once the story was not quite what I was envisaging. Bit like being a Liverpool supporter at the moment :(

• avatar Gruff says:

Glad not glass doh!

3. avatar Rick says:

I hope to God she doesn’t.

4. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Capaldi’s first season should—and probably will–feature mostly new stories, characters and villains, and probably one or two old villains will pop up as usual. He’s got to carve out his own era and cast for himself.

5. avatar Geoff says:

I think it’s been done and should be left at that. In one way I quite liked it to start with when characters would drop in and out of stories when the show returned as in the classic series it virtually never happened with sympathetic characters, Glitz being a rare example and that worked nicely all three times. It used to just be recurring villains in proper roles in the story and that was it. Like I say at first I found it refreshing when characters like Mickey dropped in and out or the way major villains would sometime appear briefly in a story unconnected to their own arc but I think we’ve had a lot of characters popping back in now and I’m a bit fed up of it. I can understand the writers temptation: that actor was good in that part, let’s get them back…but it’s been over done, River Song being the main offender in my view: a character who started off quite interesting (and always well played) but eventually each time she appeared I found myself thinking “oh for Gods sake not again…wait for it….hello sweetie”.
    When I’ve enjoyed Doctor Who most (often in the classic series but always in the modern) hasn’t been the stories where some old villain or character turns up but the times when the story features a whole new cast (except the leads). What I’d like to see is a whole year with the new Doctor of no cybermen, no Daleks, no River, no Strax or Vasstra (and I love them) no bloody James Corden (ever ever ever again please) just a great year of The Doctor and Clara bouncing around time and space encountering new characters in stand alone adventures….no over long story arcs. That would make me very happy.

6. avatar Ranger says:

I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with you Geoff (apart from James Corden!). I’m now bored with the whole Silence thing, the Daleks have been done to death just lately and, devoted though I am, the Cybermen have evolved too far away from the original concept (please, no more Neil Gaiman meddling). I want new monsters for Capaldi, no story arcs, just plain old-fashioned adventures, with more two-parters.

• avatar DarknessX23 says:

I love Neil Gaiman and I loved The Doctor’s Wife… but yeah, Nightmare in Silver wasn’t the best. Although, I didn’t like the latter part of series 7, anyway.

7. avatar vortexter says:

Oh no please! It didn’t make much sense first time round. Let her be an oddity. A random villain who challenged the Doctor and failed. Time for a fresh start.

8. avatar Hyncharas says:

I think it goes without saying we’ll see her again; just not in the manner we know. It’s pretty clear from Keeley Hawes’ costume preview that she will have a hand in it…

After all, we don’t know Kovarian’s full name.