Doctor Who News Terrance Dicks

Published on May 8th, 2014 | by Drew Boynton

Doctor Who Legend Terrance Dicks To Give Talk

Terrance Dicks, the one man who probably knows more about the Doctor than the Doctor himself, will be speaking at an event hosted by Airdrie Library.  The guru-of-all-things-Who will appear on Wednesday, 14 May at 7pm.  As stated by the Daily Record:

“…the real star of the evening is Terrance who’s had a huge influence on Doctor Who fans and the current team of writers on the hit BBC show.”

In addition to Mr. Dicks, the library will offer other festivities as part of it’s “geek night”:

“…gaming workshops, a quiz, and a chance to view the new full moon through the lirary observatory.”

In addition to dozens of his own works, the unbelievably prolific Terrance Dicks served as Doctor Who‘s script editor from 1968-1974 and wrote more Target novelizations of classic episodes than anyone else.  Nearing his eighth decade, he continues to be active in the world of Doctor Who.

To see his presentation on May 14th, a person can call the Airdrie Library at 01236 758070 or e-mail  at: airdrielibrary@culturenl.co.uk.

Personally, I would love to see Mr. Dicks write a script for Peter Capaldi.  How would you feel about a television return for the king of Doctor Who‘s written word?

(Via Doctor Who writer set to give talk at Airdrie library – Daily Record.)

Tags: , ,

Drew has been a fan of Doctor Who ever since he flipped through the channels late one night and saw a girl blowing up an army of funny robot men with nothing but a slingshot and some old coins. He currently lives somewhere in the woods of Missouri with his beautiful wife Barbara.

7 Responses to Doctor Who Legend Terrance Dicks To Give Talk

1. Harry M VanHoudnos says:

If I could be in the UK for this event, I WOULD! Terrance is THE greatest writers for the show in its history, IMO. I just wish I could be there for it, but I don’t have a passport or the funds for such a event. But, if I did, I WOULD be there!!!!!

2. Ranger says:

Dicks is simply one of the best things to have happened in any capacity to DW – I would love for him to write for Capaldi.

• John Miller says:

Be careful what you wish for. You’re not getting Terrance Dicks c. 1968-1974 You’re getting the guy who wrote Warmonger. In fact, an older version of the guy who wrote Warmonger. A Capaldi script with Spandrell and sexism.

3. Francis Cave says:

Jeez for a second I saw his pic on the front page and thought “Oh no don’t tell me he’s died.”.

Re him writing for the series now, as much as I like the guy really he is a good and clever Who writer. In no way would I consider him a great one.

Even his Who books over the last 20 years have just recycled previous characters and scenarios so I can’t see him now, especially at this stage in his life, coming up with anything new for Capaldi.

Mind you if he co-wrote with another writer, say RTD, now that would be something…

4. rickjlundeen says:

The show is so different now and the pace has been revved up exponentially—and not always in a good way. I wouldn’t mind TD co-writing with someone though. He does know the character better than 99% of the populace today.

5. Scottford says:

I think not would be fun to have Terrance Dicks write a traditional four parter shot in studio with multi video cameras as in the old days.

Never happen of course but it befouled be fun to see a classic style story with Capaldi.

• Harry M VanHoudnos says:

Yes, Yes, YES! Lets see an old school story using new tech. Might give some of the Nu Who fans a chance to see what all the fuss is about the way the show was done in the classic era! Might even start a trend of one story or more a year done this way.