Doctor Who News Tom Baker starred in Doctor Who from 1974-1981

Published on April 23rd, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

Tom Baker On Doctor Who Return: ‘Capaldi might ask for me!’

For many, the appearance of the Curator in The Day of the Doctor was the high point of the Doctor Who 50th anniversary celebrations – and Tom Baker is apparently open to returning to the show.

Despite avoiding reprising his Fourth Doctor in The Five Doctors in 1983, Baker was happy to travel to Cardiff following a very early start in order to appear in a short, tear-jerking scene with Matt Smith at the end of the multi-Doctor extravaganza, and it seems he’s enjoyed the reaction…

Says the Great Man:

I wouldn’t rule anything out. If it was a nice part, with some good lines, I might deign to appear! I greatly admire [Twelfth Doctor Peter] Capaldi, he’s lovely and apparently he’s a great fan of Doctor Who – he might ask for me!

Come on, which one of you would realistically deny us the chance to see the revisited face of the Curator again?

(Via Digital Spy)

Tags: , , , ,

21 Responses to Tom Baker On Doctor Who Return: ‘Capaldi might ask for me!’

1. Harry M VanHoudnos says:

I’d LOVE to see Tom back on the show! Its just a matter of finding the right script for him to work with to come back to the show.

2. zyron says:

This would be so awesome! Tom is The Man! ;)

3. Christine says:

There could be a series arc about the curator of course….

4. simon magellan says:

What is this obsession with the past that DW fans seem to have? We have a new Doctor – who is looking like he could be really top notch – a new series to look forward to, and still we hear calls for Paul McGann or Tom Baker or even Matt Smith to come back.

We celebrated the past last year – can we now look to the future?

• Rebekkah Rudder says:

Tom Baker is a great actor and he was the reason I fell in love with Doctor Who. He was the Doctor from my generation and we like to see our past doctors in roles on the new series. Why does it bother you so much?

• Harry M VanHoudnos says:

I don’t know about Matt Smith, but for McGann, after seeing his performance in the short story leading up to the 50th anniversary tale, its understandable, Also, outside of Big Finish audio, we only have his work on the Made for TV Movie as the 8th Doctor. Now Tom, THAT is easy! Tom was in the role for 7 years (More than anyone else in the history of the show) and for many WAS their Doctor! (And I include myself in that list,) And with him being the ONLY actor from the Classic Era in the 50th anniversary story, its understandable why people want him back.

• Jacers77 says:

I agree that each new actor to play the role should have time to ‘bed in’, but the prospect of the odd cameo (from the past, or even the future) keeps things interesting. The ingenious concept of ‘The Caretaker’ is just too good not to explore again at some stage. I also think the idea of Paul McGann dipping in isn’t that perverse. Unlike the others – he wasn’t exactly a version of the Dr that we all got used to… and his largely ‘unseen’ tenure is intriguing. I wouldn’t say that all WHO fans have an obsession with the past – but not occasionally acknowledging (and celebrating) the past seems a little odd – especially with a TV show centred on time travel.

• mrjohnm says:

Very well said!

• Durs says:

Because it’s a show about time travel? We can all look to future, but there’s nothing wrong with look back to show’s rich history every now and again. Especially given that it’s a show seemingly tailor-made to do so.

• Alicia says:

If it wasn’t for the past we wouldn’t have the future and he doesn’t seem like he wants to be joining the cast full time just maybe an episode or two and not only that it would be nice to actually see him again in whatever role and it will give those who are new to the show a look at who Tom Baker was and maybe be interested in watching his seasons.

Matt is different, he is too new, ignore and forget about him but Tom was one of the ones who helped Doctor who get where it is today, sometimes a stroll down memory lane (even with older versions of what once was) is a nice thing to do and having an ep with him in it wouldn’t be that bad.

5. Ranger says:

There is a danger with being too caught up with the show’s continuity and referencing past Doctors too much – it can alienate the new fans of the show who don’t know about the classic series.

Right: logical, calm approach over. Fangirl mode activated: I would explode with happiness if Tom came back in any shape or form; there were many excited squeals when I saw him as the Curator at the end of the 50th.

• Alicia says:

It could also make the new ones WATCH the classic, see who this Tom Baker guy was and go back and see him in action, seeing him in the new doesn’t only mean it will alienate the new ones it can also be an educational thing and have them go watch Toms episodes.

6. DonnaM says:

Tom was my first Doctor; he’s still up there among my absolute favourites. Would I want to see him back? Like Ranger, in fan mode – of course I would! That voice out of nowhere in the 50th – that’s the definition of spine-tingling for me.

However – isn’t there a danger of watering down the effect with repeated returns? Granted he’s THE legend, but for that reason I’d actually be even more wary. The context would have to be right because to just throw him in for the sake of throwing him in would be borderline criminal :-)

• Rick714 says:

You’re absolutely right, DonnaM—in these cases, “too much of a good thing” can be problematic. I love Tom–he was the first Doctor I ever saw here in the states back when I was 18 in 1980. Fell in love with him and the show. And I agree 100% about that mind-blowing appearance at the end of the 50th.

But I fear that if some fans had their way, we’d have side by side ongoing series featuring the adventures of the Curator, maybe another one with a whole new series featuring McGann’s 8th Doctor, as well. I love McGann as well and Night of the Doctor was almost as great a gift as the 50th special was! but we’ve got to let Capaldi settle in for a couple years.

I will say this again—in a few years when the BBC in its infinite wisdom has to take that year break for that 4th or 5th year, that’s when they should take advantage of that long, wasteland without DW and maybe throw in a McGann special–maybe with a special appearance by The Curator. A little something fun when we least expect it. After we’ve seen a few years of Capaldi’s incarnation.

7. Rupert says:

It would be amazing to have Tom return every once in a while to the show. Yes, please!

I don’t perceive any significant danger of the presence of past Doctors somehow watering down the show or taking away any of the limelight from present Doctors. Aside from very brief glimpses of their images and a couple of mini-episode/Children in Need appearances, Tom’s appearance is the only time in recent years when an actual old Doctor actor has properly appeared in an actual episode. As far as I’m concerned, occasional cameos from Tom (and maybe some of the others) can only strengthen the show. I recognize that a significant number of fans out there are JUST new-show fans – and that’s wonderful! – but a BIG proportion of fans out there are still in love with the older series, and giving those fans a bit more every once in a while can only have a positive effect on the show’s overall, universal appeal.

8. Endy says:

No harm in visiting the past once in awhile but as someone else has already said if you do it a lot it will loose its impact. After last year which I loved so much it is time for the show with a. new Doctor and hopefully some more new aliens to look forward for a while… We can enjoy Tom and Paul and all the others via Big Finish. Half way through Black Eyes 2 at the moment and enjoying it very much.
    I think next year the show has been back ten years?. Perhaps that would be the time to do something nostalgic, maybe even a return for the caretaker.?…

9. Jim says:

No. Just no.

10. Jamie-42 says:

As far as I am concerned, Tom is welcome back any time but in the words of the curator, “Who knows…who nose!”

11. I love you Mister Tom The Troll Lord.
    I love you man.

12. Geoff says:

I am one of the people who is very much in favour of putting the indulgent treats (which I’ve loved by the way) of 2013 back in the box for a couple if years and letting Peter Capaldi get on with his vision which will be a treat enough in itself. However when you talk about Tom Baker I think that theory goes out of the window. The man quite simply is the embodiment of living legend in the history of our programme. That alone would be enough to justify bringing him back again to most of us but Steven Moffat isn’t “most if us”. Quite rightly he puts those thoughts aside and will only do it if there’s a genuine exciting plot based reason to do it. Well in my view that box is ticked too. The Curator has plenty of mileage in him and Tom still has the electrifying charisma he did all those years ago. I think this is one case where the rule of diminishing returns certainly does not apply.

That’s why so many of us would love to see him back, nothing to do with “Who fans being obsessed with the past” or whatever guff someone wrote earlier.

13. STLShawn says:

you do realize, the curator said he may be trying on some “old favorite” faces. It could be anyone when the doc needs advise.