Doctor Who News Is Paul McGann Set For Another Doctor Who Return?

Published on April 1st, 2014 | by Philip Bates

Has McGann Worked With Capaldi On Doctor Who? “Not Yet”

Do you listen to Chris Evans’ breakfast radio show? No, me neither – but maybe I should start doing so. (Maybe.) Because he’s had some great guests on – including Eighth Doctor, Paul McGann, and Sean Pertwee (son of Jon, the Third Doctor, and recent guest star of The Musketeers finale). And when Evans asked McGann if he’d worked with Peter Capaldi for Doctor Who, he, naturally, said not. Well – “Not yet“!

Now, maybe we’re looking too much into things, but what he actually said was:

“Errr, no, not yet.”

… Maybe like it’s being considered!

After his shock appearance last year in The Night of the Doctor, it seems everyone wants to see the Eighth Doctor return. He is a fantastic Doctor and McGann also reveals that, when he got the part, one of the first things he did was watch a video of Jon Pertwee in the Whomobile! This leads Sean to reminisce about when his Dad took the winged car on the road – and got pulled over by the police!

They talked extensively about Capaldi, who appeared as Cardinal Richelieu in The Musketeers, and Sean was especially impressed with him, even saying:

“He really is The Man.”

He also calls the Third Doctor “camp but manly”, which sums him up surprisingly well!

The really interesting stuff starts about 2 hours, 12 minutes in…

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Has McGann Worked With Capaldi On Doctor Who? “Not Yet”

1. avatar lozzer says:

If only he were to appear in an episode… The Night Of The Doctor is still my favourite moment of the 50th anniversary celebrations, well that and Tom Baker, and Peter Capaldi’s eyes. Speaking of the Whomobile… I’m surprised Character Options haven’t made one for for the 3rd Doctor action figure.

2. avatar David F says:

I really thought (and hoped) that Night of the Doctor would finally stop the Bring Back McGann cult. But it’s only fuelled it. Of all the many things it would be interesting to bring back, McGann’s quite a long way down the list, especially now his regeneration’s finally been addressed.

I like him, but he’s a past Doctor. It weakens the show to bring back former incarnations, except for occasional (and very rare) anniversary episodes. It undermines the current Doctor, and undermines the notion that the Doctor is a single person. There’d be absolutely no reason to do it now.

McGann’s just teasing fandom with his comment. I don’t blame him, but I’d be stunned if Moffat went down such a route. After last year, he’ll probably be concentrating on new ideas and avoiding throwbacks to the past for a season or two.

• I strongly, strongly, strongly disagree with you. Did I mention strongly?

• avatar simon magellan says:

Well, I strongly strongly agree with you.

Capaldi is embarking on his first season – HIS first season – the last thing he needs is cameos or whole appearances by previous Doctors distracting us from his debut.

The show has celebrated the past – now we need to look to the future, it’s only just begun…

• avatar Spider-pope says:

I have to reluctantly agree. Give Capaldi a chance to establish his own Doctor first. I also hope the rumoured reappearance of Matt Smith doesn’t happen either.

But in a 55 or 60 anniversary special? Bring back any Doctor still willing and able to play the role.

• avatar Jamie-42 says:

I can see where you are coming from but I am not sure that David Tennant’s Doctor was weakened by the appearance of Sarah Jane Smith and K9!

• avatar David F says:

You’re right, he wasn’t. But the situation isn’t remotely comparable. In fact, it’s the exact opposite. The Eccleston season had been incredibly light on throwbacks, and the return of Sarah Jane and K9 was a tentative early attempt to prove that the new show was a continuation of the old one.

Capaldi’s first season, however, is following the fiftieth anniversary: the biggest celebration of Doctor Who’s history there’s ever been. The imperative now is for the show to prove it can be new and fresh and look forward.

3. avatar Rick714 says:

I do love McGann and loved the Night of the Doctor. That being said, the more he comes back, the less magical it’ll be and the fans will inevitably start to bitch about “too much McGann” and they’ll get tired of him. I wouldn’t mind seeing him do a special a couple years in the future when they do another goofy “stretching one season out over two years” and we need a little something extra special during the long wait but for now, it’s Capaldi’s time and you can’t have other Doctors running around until after he establishes himself.

4. avatar DonnaM says:

I much prefer McGann’s Doctor to his immediate successor for example but…. all this endless clamour about bringing him back is beginning to get on my nerves!

He was the one good thing about the TV movie. He was brilliant in The Night Of The Doctor. But apart from me and my nephew, aged 16 (and extremely well brougt up, I might add! :-) ) most people I know who even noticed “that Doctor Who thing on the red button” were going “Who’s he supposed to be, then?”

As fans, we expect everyone to appreciate these things but the truth is, they don’t. It may be unfair, but life often is!

5. avatar dr jon says:

I’d like capaldi to have a season under his belt before they think of bringing back one of the other DR’s. I think if they did leave it a year or so the impact would be greater. And the 8th dr would be a great choice, I’d like to see Sean pertwee as the third doctor in an episode to. Now that would be interesting ?

6. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

A web series or Youtube exclusive series (or more likely as it’s the BBC, exclusive itunes) surely must be on the cards for Mr. shoes fit perfectly. I think they’d keep McGann well away from series 8 proper though. Capaldi needs room to breathe after the anniversary.

• avatar Spider-pope says:

Or a series of audio dramas. Hey wait!

7. avatar Ian says:

I would like to see Paul meet Peter, but as Paul has said let Peter find his feet first. Maybe next year?

8. Pingback: Geekritique News Roundup – Week of 3/30/14 | Geekritique

9. avatar Geoff says:

I agree with the majority view point here. I would like to see Peter Capaldi be allowed to shine on his own this year. I’ve no problem with a cameo companion story as with Sarah Jane and K9 in 10s first series. That’s no different to a returning popular foe in my view but an actual Doctor? That’s a bit different. We have just had a year of magnificent celebrations which have managed to revisit the past and set up the story for the future. Now it’s time to focus on that future for a little while.

It’s possible that Pauls comments are just speculation or mischief but it’s equally possible that after having him reprise his role once and the popularity that went with it genuine consideration has been given to giving him a larger role in a future story. It may even have been planned and given a green light already hence his comments. I’d love to see it but I’d like it to be in a year or too if it does happen.