Doctor Who News Tom Riley added to Doctor Who Series 8 castdw-s8-tomriley

Published on April 15th, 2014 | by Danny_Weasel

Here’s Series 8 Guest Tom Riley As… [SPOILER]

If your one of those who want to know absolutely nothing about Series 8 then this may not be the news item for you. Why hot have a look at that lovely piece over there about Big Finish instead?

Still here?

Then I guess you must want to know more about actor Tom Riley turning up as a special guest in the upcoming series of Doctor Who. For those of you who don’t know, Tom Riley is the lead in the BBC/Starz production Da Vinci’s Demons and he was recently snapped on the set of Doctor Who in full costume by @DWSR on twitter.

Now, I may be clutching at straws here but a guy in decidedly medieval garb and fetching green tights in the middle of what looks like a forest implies a certain folk hero to me.

The Doctor is, of course, no stranger when it comes to galavanting with some of histories big names – Shakespeare, Madame De Pompadour, Emperor Nero, Elizabeth I (and Liz X for that matter) – but with the exception of Sylvester McCoy’s encounters with the Arthurian legend in Battlefield the semi-historic folkfore folk have never put in much of an appearance.

Tom Riley

Could the inclusion of Robin Hood signal the start of a trend? Can we expect to see the Doctor hook up with Lord Lambton to take down the famous Worm from the Wear (I still pray for that one to happen) or perhaps an adventure with William Tell? What are your thoughts: should we see more fantastical historical figures or should we leave them out and stick to mucking about with real history? Let us know your views below, or maybe just set off a sing-song about the Lambton Worm… just me then?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Here’s Series 8 Guest Tom Riley As… [SPOILER]

1. avatar Dillon says:

This is cool and all, but anyone else notice Capaldi’s wearing different shirts now. Looks like for present day he’s wearing white, future he’s wearing black, and past he’s wearing red, thoughts?

2. avatar Bob says:

what about his spotty jumper?

3. avatar james says:

a return to the land of fiction?

4. avatar chris says:

“If ‘your’ one of those”. That would be the contraction “you’re”, not the possessive “your”. You may want to proofread an article before you hit “submit”.

• avatar David F says:

Chris: It’s noble to take pride in your own accuracy. It’s great to correct people who ask for help. It’s important to correct paid professionals who aren’t up to the job.

But being dressing down strangers about small oversights in articles they’re giving you for free? That’s harsh.

• avatar David F says:

(Oh no. When I rewrote the penultimate sentence of my comment, I failed to delete the word being. See how easily these things to happen, even to professional proofreaders?)

5. avatar simon magellan says:

Off the point here, but for years I’ve worn shirts without ties and buttoned up collars and people have said it’s not right – that I should wear a tie or undo the button – but now I can point to Capaldi and say, it’s in fashion! And apart from the white shirts, I’ve got dark blue and purple shirts aplenty. All I need now is a Crombie coat!

6. avatar Spider-pope says:

Is it just me,or is his head too big for his body?

• avatar TonyS says:

Well there IS a remake of Thunderbirds due out next year…

• avatar simon magellan says:

Well, he is an actor…

7. ”… it milked a dozen cows.”

8. avatar simon magellan says:

The WalesOnline site has some good set photos – including Jenna in a red dress looking gorgeous!