Doctor Who News Krans

Published on April 10th, 2014 | by Danny_Weasel

Doctor Who Writer & Actor Glyn Jones Dies

On April 2nd Doctor Who‘s oldest surviving writer passed away.

Glyn Jones was the man who gave the world what is, in my opinion, one of the more underrated stories – The Space Museum (most noted as being the first appearance of actor Jeremy Bulloch in the show, who would reappear as Hal the archer in Third Doctor story The Time Warrior and more famously as Boba Fett in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi).

The story itself had a superb premise: the TARDIS crew arrive in a museum in the future only to discover themselves as an exhibit and their attempts to avoid that outcome lead them closer to that same fate.

Not only did he write the scripts, in 1987 he was commissioned to write the target novelization of the story and took the chance to reincorporate all the humorous elements that incoming story editor Dennis Spooner had removed from the episodes.

Jones was also one of a small group who could boast both writing for and appearing in the show, as he latter stared in one of my favorite stories, the two part Tom Baker tale The Sontaran Experiment as Krans, a role that suited him perfectly thanks to his South African origins (in the story the stranded survey team, returned from an old Earth colony, all speak with South African accents).

Beyond Who Glyn had a successful career in writing including work on Oscar winning documentary A King’s Story (1965) as well as releasing a series of detective novels featuring his own creation Thornton King.

What are your thoughts on Glyn’s work on Doctor Who, are you, like me a fan of The Space Museum, would you have liked to see him return and have provided more adventures? Drop us a message below and share your thoughts.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to Doctor Who Writer & Actor Glyn Jones Dies

1. Christine says:

I certainly am a fan of The Space Museum. In fact I wrote about it some time ago in one of the celebratory books released last year – for charity of course! One of the things I like best is The Doctor stating he is the master (no not The Master) and then climbing out of a Dalek casing and then offering us delightful giggles. Great fun. So RIP Glyn Jones and thank you!

Sigh. Another stalwart gone.

2. dr jon says:

I didn’t realise he had done so much in Dr who over the years, he seems like he should have received more credit in the world of Dr who. Such a shame it never came about.

3. Ranger says:

Such a shame – I’m afraid that we are now at the time where we will be losing a lot of the classic era’s contributors. I’m dreading when Tom goes.

RIP Glyn and thanks for The Space Museum and everything else.

4. John Smith says:

Sad to hear of his death!

But I have a small rant on the post: Glyn never played Boba Fett. Boba was played by Jeremy Bulloch who worked on The Time Warrior as well

5. As Glyn Jones’ partner for 54 years I would like to thank you all for your kind comments – I know that Glyn would have been pleased to hear in what high regard The Space Museum was held.
    It is sad that he never got to write for Dr Who again; he did in fact submit several story lines, including one for the modern series – but as is the away of these things none were accepted. In fact the last one he submitted never even received an acknowledgment from Russell T Davies!
    His large archive contains the scripts of the original un-cut version of Dr Who and the Space Museum.
    Glyn carried on writing until a few weeks before his death and the final book in his Thornton King comedy/thriller series – Men and Their Toys – will be published posthumously later this year.
    His last witty appearance before the cameras (in March 2013), in an advert for the filming possibilities of Crete, in which his power as actor can be still be witnessed, can be seen by searching ‘Filming in Crete’ on YouTube.

‘The play is over, tired, he sleeps.’ Glyn Idris Jones 27th April 1931 – 2nd April 2014.

6. Jayman says:

Reread it Mr. Smith.

7. Geoff says:

This is a very sad coincidence, I only watched the Sontaran Experiment with my young son yesterday evening. I know it’s only a small footnote in Doctor Who history but the South African astronauts are the highlight of that story for me: check? Check!

I never knew this actor wrote The Space Museum as well. Obviously a man of many creative talents.

8. Pingback: Geekritique News Roundup – Week of 4/6/14 | Geekritique